There are 271 users in the forums

ESPN's Clayton thinks SF will be 3rd in NFC West

Shop Find 49ers gear online
i dont think frank gore is as durable as he once was and now we trying to be a power running team with gore carrying the full load with a rookie backing him up lol? we should have got a RB in free agency that one from NY giants i forget the name if we gonna run so much. I just dont think we got the horses to be that type of offense, i think now that we got crabtree morgan bruce brandon jones battle zeigler martz would have been a better offense to run.
[ Edited by PRIMETIME21 on May 18, 2009 at 8:57 PM ]
Let' s see how we improved....

1. Hill as a full time starter not just half the season...right there that's a few games (even if it's smith, the fact that o'sullivan is not here we will turn it over less)

2. More running the ball with gore and co not to mention we have a FB now who can block. less blindside hits may help too by running the ball more and controlling the clock more. Remember how our time of possession was really good towards the end of the year.

3. Marvel Smith - even if healthy only half the year is better than sims, who cost us many sacks and the mia game at the end. The fact that synder is backup over sims even if marvel gets injured is a good thing too. Better O line play for the run and pass will help our offense.

4. Vernon not just blocking - Martz never had a great TE with talent who is open most of the time, he just used wr's. Well Davis will get the ball more than 30 times this year and that will help the offense.

5. On D, well our D was great especially the end of last year, best D in the division. best secondary, best lb's now that petersen is gone, and our dl is pretty dam good with smith.

Crabtree morgan and bruce will help out the offense as well.

I don't see how the niners won't finish ahead of the seahawks and at least the same record as the cards. People seem to forget we only lost by 10 points the first game after 5 turnovers and by 1 yard and a few horrible calls the second game to the cards.
I'd love to get paid a grip to spew out unsubstantiated BS predictions. What a job.

Originally posted by elguapo:
Let' s see how we improved....

1. Hill as a full time starter not just half the season...right there that's a few games (even if it's smith, the fact that o'sullivan is not here we will turn it over less)

2. More running the ball with gore and co not to mention we have a FB now who can block. less blindside hits may help too by running the ball more and controlling the clock more. Remember how our time of possession was really good towards the end of the year.

3. Marvel Smith - even if healthy only half the year is better than sims, who cost us many sacks and the mia game at the end. The fact that synder is backup over sims even if marvel gets injured is a good thing too. Better O line play for the run and pass will help our offense.

4. Vernon not just blocking - Martz never had a great TE with talent who is open most of the time, he just used wr's. Well Davis will get the ball more than 30 times this year and that will help the offense.

5. On D, well our D was great especially the end of last year, best D in the division. best secondary, best lb's now that petersen is gone, and our dl is pretty dam good with smith.

Crabtree morgan and bruce will help out the offense as well.

I don't see how the niners won't finish ahead of the seahawks and at least the same record as the cards. People seem to forget we only lost by 10 points the first game after 5 turnovers and by 1 yard and a few horrible calls the second game to the cards.

1. Since Garcia, QB1 has been played by a 3rd tier QB, Hill is just a continuation of that. This is not an improvement. Rattay, Dorsey, Smith, Dilfer, JTO, Shaun Hill and others...NONE wereare an improvement over the other.....its just 1 mediocre QB taking over for another

2. Just saying...hey guys...lets be a running team....doesn't actually make you a running team. Just executing snaps to handoff to a runner, doesn't make you a smashmouth team...sometimes it just makes you a 3 and out team

3. I think our O-line is slightly better than 08'...but I don't think they are much better than a #15 ranked o-line...not sure where I would rank em in the division

4. Don't pretend that Martz reduced Vernon to be a blocker...that has been how he has been used for a few years now by many different coaches. We have to consider that we just might a blocking TE combine freak that we drafted #6. Vernon is on thin ice from being a bust....Martz gone doesn't change that...only Vernon can

5. Maybe we are tuning into different games...but the Niners Defense I see is GOOD...not Great. Maybe they could be great, but the O and their 3 and out Smash mouth rock em sock em new attitude on O.....will put them in very bad positions

and will zoners PLEASE stop using the Arizona game as some kind of indicator. Anybody who knows the NFL should know division play doesn't tell you anything about the teams and how they rank up. Case and point...during the New England dynasty, the Fins were known to upset them almost every year...sometimes in New England as well. Does that mean Miami was close to being a Dynasty team? It is very common for a championship team to go 3-3 in their division...that does not tell you anything about the other teams in their division...it just tells you that division rivals usually play each other close...no matter what end of the spectrum the teams happen to exist in outside of their own series.
[ Edited by danimal on May 18, 2009 at 9:09 PM ]
I see Seattle winning the division, with us in second.
Every single analyst that looks at the NFC West is ignoring the fact that the Cards have a new offensive & defensive coordinator.

Every. Single. One.
Originally posted by danimal:
1. Since Garcia, QB1 has been played by a 3rd tier QB, Hill is just a continuation of that. This is not an improvement. Rattay, Dorsey, Smith, Dilfer, JTO, Shaun Hill and others...NONE wereare an improvement over the other.....its just 1 mediocre QB taking over for another
Just because we have value at QB position doesn't make those QBs 3rd tier. We have singletary, don't we? Singletary can motivate journeymen into probowlers, can't he?

2. Just saying...hey guys...lets be a running team....doesn't actually make you a running team. Just executing snaps to handoff to a runner, doesn't make you a smashmouth team...sometimes it just makes you a 3 and out team
Raye can call historic plays that averages 3.4 yards/play. So all good.

3. I think our O-line is slightly better than 08'...but I don't think they are much better than a #15 ranked o-line...not sure where I would rank em in the division
Singletary can motivate journeymen into probowlers, can't he?

4. Don't pretend that Martz reduced Vernon to be a blocker...that has been how he has been used for a few years now by many different coaches. We have to consider that we just might a blocking TE combine freak that we drafted #6. Vernon is on thin ice from being a bust....Martz gone doesn't change that...only Vernon can
Singletary can motivate Vernon into probowlers, can't he?

5. Maybe we are tuning into different games...but the Niners Defense I see is GOOD...not Great. Maybe they could be great, but the O and their 3 and out Smash mouth rock em sock em new attitude on O.....will put them in very bad positions
Wanna hear what singletary can do again?
Originally posted by NolanHasAPlan:
Just because we have value at QB position doesn't make those QBs 3rd tier. We have singletary, don't we? Singletary can motivate journeymen into probowlers, can't he?

Raye can call historic plays that averages 3.4 yards/play. So all good.

Singletary can motivate journeymen into probowlers, can't he?

Singletary can motivate Vernon into probowlers, can't he?

Wanna hear what singletary can do again?

Clayton is a little biased considering he lives in Seattle.
John Clayton, you are a TOOL!

John Clayton.......................Wuahahahaaa!!
Another thing with the Seahawks. Greg Knapp is the new OC. Yes, the same Greg Knapp who sucked in SF, Atl and Oakland.
Why is everyone giving Seattle all this love, there not going to finish above .500.
It's totally possible we could have another losing season, but it's also possible Clayton can bench 225lbs 25 times, but I doubt it, and I doubt his prediction.

The West is ripe for the taking, and I like our odds, I really do.

Seattle's off-season looks good on paper, but how they will perform under Greg Knapp and Jim Mora is another story. I think we can all recall how well they did in San Fran, not bad but not great either. They have an aging quarterback stifled by injuries, they have no consistency in the running game, and last I checked Hoosh isn't a number one type receiver. In fact I don't think they have a number one receiver on their roster. So Seattle is just going to rise up and take us down with that? Don't think so.

Arizona has some problems too, a quarterback pushing 40 with a bum hip he neglected to tell anybody about. A couple of unhappy players in Boldin and Dansby ready to cause distractions going into training camp. Not to mention the cruel history given to Super Bowl losers the following season.

We didn't make a splash in the off season but we have improved our depth at just about every position, and upgraded our wide receiver corp to possibly the best it's been in years. The defense is starting to blossom under Manusky, and the special teams unit has always been solid. Of course, there are concerns at quarterback and how well the offense will adapt to another OC. Jimmy Raye isn't a Mike Martz but he's not a Jim Hostler either, or dare I say, Greg Knapp.

I don't think we'll go 12 and 4 but another losing season just doesn't make sense to me, not this time. I think we have a real chance of going 10 and 6 and winning the West.

Not sure how accurate Clayton's been with his predictions but I'd take his comments with a grain of salt. He doesn't study our team in depth and doesn't have the info that local beat writers have. Maybe if he takes a serious look at our roster and coaching staff and watched some practices I'd listen but he's just taking the easy answer. Nice job going out on a limb there buddy.
[ Edited by vermonator on May 18, 2009 at 10:33 PM ]
  • db9er
  • Info N/A
Predictions are predictions....Its what we do in the season that matters. Let everyone down play us. Then when the season comes along, we can prove them wrong.
Share 49ersWebzone