LISTEN: Reacting to the 49ers Drafting Ricky Pearsall →

There are 488 users in the forums

Frank Gore Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • All22
  • Veteran
How is a Frank Gore thread started a decade ago on about half as long as the Soloman Thomas thread?
Originally posted by All22:
How is a Frank Gore thread started a decade ago on about half as long as the Soloman Thomas thread?

Controversial = more pages. Frank Gore was one of the least controversial players we have had. Makes sense.
Frank Gore is what happens when a Unstoppable Force collides into a Immovable Object. He is the endgame.
Originally posted by Waterbear:
The only numbers that need to be retired are 16, 8, 80, 42, and 21.

We have too many numbers retired already IMO.

How are you going to retire 21 and not 52?
Originally posted by StOnEy333:
This fool Verrett is asking for Frank's #21. And the 49ers said if he asks Frank and he says it's cool, they'll give it to him. Uhh, HELLO, we aren't cool with this!

Verrett is no longer pursuing number 21. Either Gore said no, or the fans blew him up about it.
  • Cjez
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by Niners99:
This fool Verrett is asking for Frank's #21. And the 49ers said if he asks Frank and he says it's cool, they'll give it to him. Uhh, HELLO, we aren't cool with this!

Verrett is no longer pursuing number 21. Either Gore said no, or the fans blew him up about it.

players don't give a s**t what fans think
  • cciowa
  • Veteran

Controversial = more pages. Frank Gore was one of the least controversial players we have had. Makes sense.

Frank was one of the few people jh listened to. i recall the god awful game we lost to the colts. i am pretty sure.. no i do not have a link!!.. i am pretty sure frank got into the ear of jh after the game in which we stopped running the football in the second half of that game.. i am sure we fed the hell out of frank and won the next game
Originally posted by ChazBoner:

Tim Hightower did.
Originally posted by ChazBoner:

Tim Hightower did.

Stoney probably contacted Verrett and told him "you f**king idiot".

It used to bother me a lot that so many really good players on the team have so few postings to their threads here - like Joe Staley. But I've come to the place where I decided that rather than let it keep bugging me that I'd just embrace it - fewer pages for really a good player is the ultimate compliment to the player!

It's just the way the Zone works - more people like to post to complain about players (coaches, owners, the stadium, etc) than compliment them. And then other posters that like the players respond and then you get a multipage food fight. It's just the way the Zone works... and it's okay.

And Frank Gore is one of my all time favorite players. Love ya Frank!
[ Edited by 49erphan on Apr 8, 2019 at 10:57 AM ]

Retiring numbers is dumb.

Even if the 9ers never retired another number they've already retired 12% of the numbers a player could be assigned.

I'm all for honoring history, but the % of living 9ers fans who without cheating could name who #73 is retired for has gotta be really small.

OTHER WAYS TO DO THIS:

(1) Now that they have the ring of honor, they can just decouple that from those numbers being retired. It's a way to honor older players without slowly running out of assignable numbers. It's not like we're going to get confused about who the #34 on the ring of honor is and who the #34 backup RB is.

(2) They could just retire numbers by position. By this, I mean for Frank Gore they stop assigning 21 to RBs but some DB wearing 21 is fine, or if you want to honor Willis you just only use 52 as an O-lineman number and not a linebacker number.
  • jcs
  • Veteran
The only numbers that need to be retired are 16, 8, 80, 42, and 21.

We have too many numbers retired already IMO.

How are you going to retire 21 and not 52?

Gore is a first ballot HOFer....52 might not even get in...quit too young.
As much as I like Gore and feel there should be some sort of acknowledgement of him that will always link him and the 49ers, I don't think any number that didn't win a ring should be retired.
Originally posted by jcs:

Retired. Chris Borland quit. Willis destroyed his feet playing his ass off for this franchise.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by jcs:

Retired. Chris Borland quit. Willis destroyed his feet playing his ass off for this franchise.

Yea, and Willis and Gore both deserve to make it in. Though the reasons for each of them are kind of opposites of each other. Gore's career is consistent high level production over many seasons for a longer period of time than almost any other RB, but there was no single season where he was the best RB in football. On the other hand, Willis was a first team all-pro 5 times and arguably the best player at his position most of his career.
Share 49ersWebzone