LISTEN: 49ers Play It Smart on Day Two of the Draft →

There are 351 users in the forums

MadDog49er Draft Primer and Best Board- Top 50 Players April 24 Edition

Originally posted by Joecool:
Originally posted by 49ers808:
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
Originally posted by jb49ers80:
Hey, MD, what are your thoughts on Deebo? Injuries scarring you or you think he's limited to only slot? Curious why you don't like him as much as some of the other receivers.

I have a contact who knows Deebo pretty well (more closer to really well), someone who saw him very often on and off the field. He rubbed a number of people the wrong way as a "me" type of guy at South Carolina. While that may not be an issue for some people, I trust my source...who is a really good guy. Hence, my prejudice is tough to shed. I grade him a bit lower than others. I have him at WR11.

Damn that sucks. He's the guy we most likely get if we take a WR in the 2nd imo. Hate guys like that, if true he drops a little for me too

Or,...there's a higher chance of a WR bring good if he has some diva.

I know most are divas nowadays, but It's just my preference. But a higher chance of being good because of it? You serious?
Originally posted by stonecold590:
Greetings to all!
Finishing up RB evals this week (Josh Jacobs will NOT be RB1), and then touching up final reviews on players, including some of small school sleepers that could be draft targets on Day Three.

For now, here is my Best Board of the top 50 players in the draft for me. This is NOT a mock draft. This is also NOT a 49ers draft board. This is simply how I grade them as players at the next level. Couple notes: I do not have one RB graded as a top 50 player in this draft. To me, there are a bunch in the 51-100 area, but all of these guys have major issues that suppress their value to me. I also do not feel high about quarterbacks in this draft class (and for all of my draft flaws, I am pretty good at projecting QBs....the past four years have been Marcus Mariota, Carson Wentz, Pat Mahomes and Baker Mayfield as QB1s in each class). In my opinion, there is only one star in this class, Kyler Murray. I also think very highly about the safety class, although some of these cats are so athletic that they might end up as corners on the edge or in the slot.

Some shifts in thinking: I really love Hakeem Butler, but had him originally as WR4 because of occasional ugly drops. I have bumped him up to WR2, because I think some of these might be correctable (some might disagree). I also have done the same with Devon White, who I still believe is an overrated prospect (some say Tampa at five is the pick, which would be WAY too high in my opinion). However, I also feel his tackling issues can be mostly corrected with coaching, helping him throttle down before approaching a ball carrier.

Special note: I have projected Jonah Williams and Cody Ford as guards in the NFL. Simmons ACL makes a tough eval because you never know how they will rebound. For the sake of argument, let's just say he comes back to full strength.

As always, this is one man's opinion. Feel free to ask questions, debate and more. Can't believe we are less than two weeks away.

-MD

2018 NFL Draft Best Board
Player School Position
1 Nick Bosa Ohio St DE
2 Quinnen Williams Alabama DT
3 Josh Allen Kentucky Edge
4 Kyler Murray Oklahoma QB
5 Ed Oliver Houston DT
6 Christian Wilkins Clemson DT
7 Brian Burns Florida St Edge
8 Andre Dillard Washington St OT
9 Jeffery Simmons Mississippi St DT
10 TJ Hockenson Iowa TE
11 Jonah Williams Alabama G
12 Garrett Bradbury NC State C
13 AJ Brown Mississippi WR
14 Hakeem Butler Iowa St WR
15 Montez Sweat Mississippi St DE
16 Clelin Ferrell Clemson DE
17 Byron Murphy Washington CB
18 Devin White LSU LB
19 Dexter Lawrence Clemson DT
20 Andy Isabella UMass WR
21 Marquise Brown Oklahoma WR
22 Kaleb McGary Washington OT
23 Chris Lindstrom Boston College G
24 Dalton Risner Kansas St OT
25 Johnathan Abram Mississippi St S
26 Cody Ford Oklahoma G
27 Jerry Tillery Notre Dame DT
28 Chauncey Gardner-Johnson Florida FS
29 Greedy Williams LSU CB
30 Noah Fant Iowa TE
31 Dwayne Haskins Ohio St QB
32 Darnell Savage Maryland S
33 JJ Arcega-Whiteside Stanford WR
34 Devin Bush Michigan LB
35 Zach Allen Boston College DE
36 Nasir Adderley Delaware S
37 Parris Campbell Ohio St WR
38 N'Keal Harry Arizona St WR
39 Justin Layne Michigan St CB
40 Jawaan Taylor Florida OT
41 Taylor Rapp Washington S
42 Erik McCoy Texas A&M C
43 Chase Winovich Michigan DE
44 Anthony Nelson Iowa DE
45 Blake Cashman Minnesota LB
46 Rashan Gary Michigan DE
47 Drew Lock Missouri QB
48 Juan Thornhill Virginia S
49 Amani Hooker Iowa S
50 Drue Tranquil Notre Dame LB

I am hoping that AJ Brown of Hakeem Butler is at 36. That would be a fairly realistic best case scenario. My personal draft would more than likely have:
Round 1. Bosa
Round 2. AJ Brown or Butler
Round 3. The best safety on the board

MADDOG as always thanks for the hard work you put in. You may have answered this question already and I apologize if you have. And everything that you have seen what is the biggest difference between Bosa and Allen as Pass Rushers? Is it a very big difference between the two like completely different tiers or are they fairly close in your opinion.

Bosa is much stronger and can plow OTs into the QB. Allen is better at beating people clean around the edge. Bosa will collapse the pocket in a hurry.

Bosa is a traditional 43 DE with some juice. Allen is a classic 34 OLB with juice. Both are pro-ready. Allen has surprisingly good skills dropping into coverage. Very versatile. Bosa is havoc man; just destroy plays before they happen.
Originally posted by jreff22:
Who are you looking for at WR at the top of the 2nd? How many of those guys can excel outside?

At 36, I love AJ Brown and Butler. My three targets at 36 are these two guys and Jeffery Simmons.
Hey, MD, what are your thoughts on Deebo? Injuries scarring you or you think he's limited to only slot? Curious why you don't like him as much as some of the other receivers.

I have a contact who knows Deebo pretty well (more closer to really well), someone who saw him very often on and off the field. He rubbed a number of people the wrong way as a "me" type of guy at South Carolina. While that may not be an issue for some people, I trust my source...who is a really good guy. Hence, my prejudice is tough to shed. I grade him a bit lower than others. I have him at WR11.

Damn that sucks. He's the guy we most likely get if we take a WR in the 2nd imo. Hate guys like that, if true he drops a little for me too

I try not to have biases, but this one is hard for me to shake because of my connection.

I try not to have biases, but this one is hard for me to shake because of my connection.

This is interesting. Is your connection someone to whom teams would reach out during their vetting process? Is this likely something teams will hear when looking into Deebo? Thanks, MD.
[ Edited by jb49ers80 on Apr 24, 2019 at 5:54 AM ]

I know most are divas nowadays, but It's just my preference. But a higher chance of being good because of it? You serious?

Yes. I think WR requires a different mentality. WR runs around all day only to get maybe 4-8 balls thrown their way. I don't want a guy who's "just fine" with that. I want a guy who wants the ball every play because that means he's running routes like he is expecting the ball every play. I don't want someone who is satisfied with only being allowed to show his skills 4 times a game. Of course, we don't want a guy in the huddle harassing the QB, but we want a guy who is selfish.

What we don't want is a diva who makes too many business decisions on the field. Deebo doesn't seem like that. Dude plays strong.
[ Edited by Joecool on Apr 24, 2019 at 9:48 AM ]

Yes. I think WR requires a different mentality. WR runs around all day only to get maybe 4-8 balls thrown their way. I don't want a guy who's "just fine" with that. I want a guy who wants the ball every play because that means he's running routes like he is expecting the ball every play. I don't want someone who is satisfied with only being allowed to show his skills 4 times a game. Of course, we don't want a guy in the huddle harassing the QB, but we want a guy who is selfish.

What we don't want is a diva who makes too many business decisions on the field. Deebo doesn't seem like that. Dude plays strong.

What you just described is not what I would describe as a diva so maybe we fine lol. Diva for me is the pouting hissy fit p***ys that cry about everything and throw 2 year old tantrums on the sidelines
It is ok to be a diva as long as the player is not a distraction for the team. It is almost expected for WRs to be a bit weepy when they don't get the ball. When it hurts team chemistry, then it becomes an issue, even for superstars like OBJ.

That being said, there are a LOT of really good guys who play WR, and don't gripe about stats. I can tell you personally that Parris Campbell is a team player, and an overall nice, humble young man. Terry McLaurin is also the same. Both guys are terrific players and teammates, and both sacrificed under Urban Meyer's offense. If talent is equal, it is always better to pick up these guys than diva-like WRs.
Nothing personal, MD, but where is it?
[ Edited by Paul_Hofer on Apr 24, 2019 at 2:45 PM ]
Originally posted by Paul_Hofer:
Nothing personal, MD, but where is it?

I don't know. Where is it?

Feeling good going into the draft. Boards are ready and I am prepped to draft. Should be another great weekend.
It is ok to be a diva as long as the player is not a distraction for the team. It is almost expected for WRs to be a bit weepy when they don't get the ball. When it hurts team chemistry, then it becomes an issue, even for superstars like OBJ.

That being said, there are a LOT of really good guys who play WR, and don't gripe about stats. I can tell you personally that Parris Campbell is a team player, and an overall nice, humble young man. Terry McLaurin is also the same. Both guys are terrific players and teammates, and both sacrificed under Urban Meyer's offense. If talent is equal, it is always better to pick up these guys than diva-like WRs.

This! Paris Campbell is now equal with Deebo for me just because of that, and I'm a sucker for speed too

This! Paris Campbell is now equal with Deebo for me just because of that, and I'm a sucker for speed too

I wish you all could have been sitting with me and Parris at the same dinner table last year (we shared a table at Benihanas....my wife, sister-in-law and our two boys with Parris and his girlfriend). He is such an impressive, humble young man. I was so blown away with his humility that I picked up the tab for Parris and his girlfriend. He owes me dinner someday.
MadDog in your opinion is Quinnen capable of playing snaps at the 5?
You going to drop a top 5 by position that fit our system?
Share 49ersWebzone