There are 243 users in the forums

Jerry Tillery-DT Notre Dame

Another DT that for whatever reason doesn't get love in this draft.

2 yr starter with 11.5 sacks in those seasons. 84.3 SPARQ score

He's 6'6" 295 with 34 1/4" arms and monster hands 105/8" and according to PFF (yes I know), Tillery tied Williams for the highest pass-rushing grade at the position in college football this past season.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/draft-jerry-tillery-is-elite-top-10-prospect

He's been comped to Chris Jones from KC and I can see the resemblance. Guys like him are a reason why Q doesn't have to be the pick at 2 IF we're in such need for a DT (which we aren't).

He's got some real power & is pretty freaking athletic.

[ Edited by NYniner85 on Apr 1, 2019 at 6:41 AM ]
I'm pretty sure he's going at the end of Round 1, you don't factor things like that into a decision.

Besides if we did draft Bosa & Tillery that's definitely the end of Solly, you happy with that?!
Originally posted by 49erBigMac:
I'm pretty sure he's going at the end of Round 1, you don't factor things like that into a decision.

Besides if we did draft Bosa & Tillery that's definitely the end of Solly, you happy with that?!

Not what I'm saying....I'm pointing out that there are other good DTs in this draft that no one discusses. We draft Q at 2 and that's the end of Thomas as well
[ Edited by NYniner85 on Apr 1, 2019 at 5:44 AM ]
👀

Originally posted by NYniner85:

Not what I'm saying....I'm pointing out that there are other good DTs in this draft that no one discusses. We draft Q at 2 and that's the end of Thomas as well

No one is talking about needing a DT, just merely wanting great players.

I want Solomon to progress but I'm not betting that he will.

I mean I think Tillery is pretty freaking good.

It's the same thing with everyone talking about BPA and that's the way to go....if Tillery is BPA at 36 (which he might be) we gonna pass on him IF we're doing the whole BPA stuff?

It's the same thing with everyone talking about BPA and that's the way to go....if Tillery is BPA at 36 (which he might be) we gonna pass on him IF we're doing the whole BPA stuff?

I don't believe that's what you're doing, I also don't think he can play both Nose & 3T like QW could.

As you love saying, it's not apples to apples.

I don't believe that's what you're doing, I also don't think he can play both Nose & 3T like QW could.

I'm simply throwing out another good prospect that no one is talking about. I've stated I don't believe in drafting just BPA BUT BPA of position of need. People that think it's gotta be BPA, can't tell me this guy couldn't very well be that if there at 36.

I also thought NT in this scheme was basically a DT who's still attacking? That's what everyone has been saying for months in the QW thread

dude has Chris Jones upside.
[ Edited by NYniner85 on Apr 1, 2019 at 10:33 AM ]

This is neat - it leads back to our struggle we're having on how to draft. Can we subscribe to just one philosophy?

For pick 2, it's simple (to me): In Tier 1 (Bosa, Q), there are two Elite players in this draft, and we have pick #2. It is a complete fail if don't end up with Bosa, Q, or more picks. Take the elite prospect, don't think twice about it, figure the rest out later.

For pick 36, it's different (or maybe it isn't). At this pick, we've either gotten Q, traded down, or gotten Bosa (or failed). For fun (and sake of argument, which I wholly endorse) let's assume Tillery is the BPA at 36 (and he's the last player available in that Tier - meaning, there is a Noticeable drop-off between him and the rest of our board).
  • At 2 we picked Q: We can't justify taking Tillery, can we? I mean, I just used the "Tier" argument for pick 2, but now I'm saying disregard it and move on. Taking a DT at picks 2 and 36 is not the best thing for this franchise, so, that quickly, we abandon BPA.
  • At 2 we picked Bosa: How can we justify not taking Tillery? He's BPA, by a noticeable margin right? Is it our biggest need? No, but he's BPA, so we should take him.
  • At 2 we traded down: Almost have take Tillery at 36, unless we drafted a DT in round 1, and then we're back to abandoning BPA picking.
  • At 2 we failed: I have nothing to add here because it makes me mad to think about it and I'm trying to work on my anger.

So, I can easily make the case for taking him - we take him as the BPA at 36, but only if we don't take Q at 2, in which case we throw away BPA and use Need as our main driver.

EDIT: And fuk this midget smoldering me. I'm not sure what I did to deserve this. Best April 1 y'all done ever. I'm going to go work on my anger.
[ Edited by Lobo49er on Apr 1, 2019 at 2:27 PM ]

I'm simply throwing out another good prospect that no one is talking about. I've stated I don't believe in drafting just BPA BUT BPA of position of need. People that think it's gotta be BPA, can't tell me this guy couldn't very well be that if there at 36.

I also thought NT in this scheme was basically a DT who's still attacking? That's what everyone has been saying for months in the QW thread

dude has Chris Jones upside.

I call BS, but will address your only point that makes sense.

Yes you want your NT has one gap (most of the time) and attacks, however the offense can attack any one point.

The NT (which is why Solly never plays inside when the offense might run) has to be able to take on a double team and not get washed out and allow a combo block.

IMO QW is the only interior lineman in this draft who can both be effective against the run (not get washed out) & be a pass rush threat.
I think you come off the rails by thinking ANY of these particular guys are gauranteed to produce worthy of their selected spot. That's just not the reality. The draft is a gamble,...and honestly, that's what makes the coverage of it fun, whereas basketball's draft is boring (drafting Zion or RJ this year really isin't a gamble).

DTs already on your team are the only thing to lessen the need for another great DT on the board.

You generally already know how they perform and can forecast it onto the next year.

A bunch of "good" DT prospects can't lessen the value of a "great" DT prospect in the same draft class. That's just nonsensical. Again,...none of them are anywhere near guaranteed commodities, and that's just not how marketplaces work.

When you take home a Great Value product,...use it....find it's the same,...as do many others,...that's how a brand name is forced into lowering their price. Proven production you've already had and experienced. Until then,...supply and demand keeps the brand name high.

A little off topic,...but in the hope of these same weird topics not reappearing again and again.
Originally posted by random49er:
I think you come off the rails by thinking ANY of these particular guys are gauranteed to produce worthy of their selected spot. That's just not the reality. The draft is a gamble,...and honestly, that's what makes the coverage of it fun, whereas basketball's draft is boring (drafting Zion or RJ this year really isin't a gamble).

DTs already on your team are the only thing to lessen the need for another great DT on the board.

You generally already know how they perform and can forecast it onto the next year.

A bunch of "good" DT prospects can't lessen the value of a "great" DT prospect in the same draft class. That's just nonsensical. Again,...none of them are anywhere near guaranteed commodities, and that's just not how marketplaces work.

When you take home a Great Value product,...use it....find it's the same,...as do many others,...that's how a brand name is forced into lowering their price. Proven production you've already had and experienced. Until then,...supply and demand keeps the brand name high.

A little off topic,...but in the hope of these same weird topics not reappearing again and again.

I have no idea what you're talking about.
I call BS, but will address your only point that makes sense.

Yes you want your NT has one gap (most of the time) and attacks, however the offense can attack any one point.

The NT (which is why Solly never plays inside when the offense might run) has to be able to take on a double team and not get washed out and allow a combo block.

IMO QW is the only interior lineman in this draft who can both be effective against the run (not get washed out) & be a pass rush threat.

I don't think tillery is limited to just 3-tech. Similar to how Buck can play all over that OL.

And I have no idea what you're referring to as BS? Why can't I make a thread about another DT? Why can't we talk about going BPA at 36 if that's what people are talking about doing at 2? Go watch Tillery dude is f**king good. Like I said he's similar to Chris jones or even Buck.

I don't have a problem taking Q if Bosa is gone, not sure why that should be different if we're at 36 and he's the best player available?
[ Edited by NYniner85 on Apr 1, 2019 at 3:14 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone