LISTEN: 49ers Play It Smart on Day Two of the Draft →

There are 273 users in the forums

Sims84 Too Early to Tell Offseason Mock

GM: Eliot Wolf
HC/OC: Josh McDaniels (still high on McVay but looks like LA will be snagging him)
DC: Mike Vrabel

Re-sign:

WR Jeremy Kerley $2 years / $8 million
NT Glen Dorsey
$2 years / $10 million
K Phil Dawson
$2 years / $6 million
RB Shaun Draughn
$2 years / $2.5 million
ILB/ST: Nick Bellore
2 years / $3 million

Free Agency: With a new GM, a first time GM at that, and a ton of cap space, we decide to spend wisely on obvious upgrades to our team while only targeting guys that are in their prime or entering their prime. Used Spotrac for the UFA list.

Jamie Collins – ILB (CLE) 5 years/$85 million
Bennie Logan – NT (PHI) 5 years / $40 million
Andre Ellington – RB (AZ) 3 years / $13 million
Pierre Garcon – WR (WAS) 3 years / $27 million
Brian Hoyer – QB (CHI) 2 years / $18 million
Dion Sims – TE (MIA) 4 years / $20 million

****In this scenario, the Patriots are simply asking too much for JG so we opt not to make that deal. CLE does us a huge favor (realistic as well) and takes either Mitch Trubisky or Jonathan Allen at #1. We stay put at 2 but we trade back into the 1st round as well as pick up a 5th from PHI for Torrey Smith. We trade our 2nd (34), 4th (98) and CLE 7th (for the Andy Lee trade) to PIT for the 27th pick. I know guys "may" not be there or "may" go later but this is simply using CBS Sports for the round projections****

1st round - #2 – OLB Myles Garrett Texas A&M: Absolute no brainer. Best pass rusher in the draft, arguably the best player in the draft and comes at a position that we have desperately needed to fill for ever since Aldon was in and out. Day 1 impact starter that I suspect will have double digit sacks immediately.

1st round - #27 – WR Corey Davis Western Michigan: Reminds me of T.O after the catch. He could have easily came out last year and probably went in the mid-rounds but wanted to go back to school to work on his route running and 50/50 balls. That move paid off and will make him a 1st round pick. He has #1 WR written all over him and that is another position we have failed to solidify over the years.

3rd round - – QB Patrick Mahomes III Texas Tech: As talented as any QB in this draft but extremely raw. Can make any throw you would want, has phenomenal athleticism and is a true gunslinger. He needs a full year at a minimum before he takes snaps but this kid can be a star with the proper development.

4th round comp – OT Eric Magnuson MICH: 5th year Senior, well coached and possesses the ability to play LT in the NFL. With Staley getting older, Magnuson will have an opportunity to learn from one of the best on and off the field and ultimately replace him in a couple of years.

5th round - WR Josh Reynolds Texas A&M: 6'3 193, big body deep threat. Ryan Switzer was my favorite in the mid rounds but I think he will early in the 4th. With us re-signing Kerley and Ellington coming back to try to get some snaps, adding a guy like Reynolds makes a lot of sense. He tore it up as a sophomore with 13 TDs, his TDs dropped as a JR but his catches and yards went up and this past year as a senior, he flat out balled. Averaged over 16 yards per catch in all 3 years but broke 1,000 yards and had 12 TDs this past year. Adding him in the 5th makes our WR corp very formidable once again.

5th round – CB Fabian Moreau UCLA: Good size, solid tackler and good in man coverage. Great at breaking on the ball and knocking it away but CBSSports mentions he needs to elevate his game and start turning those pass breakups into INTs.

5th round (WAS) – OLB Dewuane Smoot ILL: Circled back around and addressed the pass rushing position again. Can't have enough pass rushers, especially when you don't have many to begin with. Smoot is very quick off the edge, possesses violent hands and has wreaked havoc in the backfield over the past two years with 38.5 TFL and 16.5 sacks. Needs to improve against the run but can certainly carve out a niche on 3rd downs until that happens.

6th round – SS Xavier Woods Louisiana Tech: Back to back All Conference USA First team. From CBSSports: "An NFL scout told me the Louisiana Tech coaches rave about his work ethic, preparation and makeup, showing the leadership traits to "get on teammates" when needed. He isn't a household name, but keep Woods on your radar for the 2017 draft class"

6th round (DEN) – QB Chad Kelly Ole Miss: Late 1st round talent with a few off the field issues. Suffered a torn ACL at the end of the season but that is not that big of a deal from the QB Position. Took a chance late as a low risk, extremely high reward prospect. Will be the 3rd QB behind Hoyer and Mahomes.

7th round – ILB Ben Boulware CLEM: He will probably not grade out well but he is a helluva player and a phenomenal leader. To see a guy like that down here in the 7th round is phenomenal. He will more than likely dominate Special Teams and will provide legit depth at the ILB position.

Depth Chart:

QB: Hoyer / Mahomes / Kelly
RB: Hyde / Ellington / Draughn / Davis
WR: Garcon / Reynolds
WR: Davis / Rogers
WR: Kerley / Ellington / Burbridge
TE: McDonald / Sims / Celek / Bell

LT: Staley / Magnuson
LG: Garnett / Beadles
C: Beadles / Kilgore
RG: Tiller / Garnett
RT: Brown / Theus

Defense:

LDE: Armstead / Dial
NT: Logan / Dorsey
RDE: Buckner / Blair

LOLB: Lynch / Smoot / Carradine
ILB: Collins / Armstrong / Bellore
ILB: Bowman / Boulware
ROLB: Garrett / Harold

CB: Brock / Moreau
CB: Ward /Robinson / Reaser
FS: Reid / Johnson
SS: Tartt / Woods

K: Dawson
P: Pinion

KR: A. Ellington / B. Ellington
PR: Kerley / B. Ellington

Certainly a lot to process and a lot will more than likely change after the combine and of course once we know for a fact who our GM and coaches will be. Enjoy
[ Edited by Sims19849ers on Jan 12, 2017 at 1:27 PM ]
Id love the draft to fall this way but I seriously doubt Corey Davis is there at #27 or that Mahomes is still available in rd 3.
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:
Id love the draft to fall this way but I seriously doubt Corey Davis is there at #27 or that Mahomes is still available in rd 3.

If Davis isn't there at 27, I'll take Ross since I have us grabbing Reynolds as well later on. I'd be surprised if all 3 WRs (Williams, Davis and Ross) were gone by 27 with all of the defensive talent and QBs that will go in round #1. Mahomes is certainly a stretch but CBS has his round as the 3rd and ranked 95th so I saw it as the perfect opportunity to cash in around 66 (or wherever our 3rd falls)
[ Edited by Sims19849ers on Jan 12, 2017 at 11:46 AM ]
wouldn't hate it but I got some issues

Collins is at the very least getting tagged IMO. Pryor will get a deal done so the FT will be there for them to use.

Hoyer no thanks dude can't stay healthy and no more of other teams backups please. I think if Josh is the HC they will get a fair price for Jimmy G at the end of the day. Bill will want to help his long time pupil and Jimmy G PLUS he's getting shipped cross country to the NFC West.

I also don't see how it's possible Davis drops to 27th overall...WR is very thin this yr.

Had to squeak Kelly in there I see lol

Overall not awful wouldn't mind at all just don't see some of the guys being there. Thanks!
Originally posted by NYniner85:
wouldn't hate it but I got some issues

Collins is at the very least getting tagged IMO. Pryor will get a deal done so the FT will be there for them to use.

Hoyer no thanks dude can't stay healthy and no more of other teams backups please. I think if Josh is the HC they will get a fair price for Jimmy G at the end of the day. Bill will want to help his long time pupil and Jimmy G PLUS he's getting shipped cross country to the NFC West.

I also don't see how it's possible Davis drops to 27th overall...WR is very thin this yr.

Had to squeak Kelly in there I see lol

Overall not awful wouldn't mind at all just don't see some of the guys being there. Thanks!

You know I had to find a spot for my boy Kelly! lol

Patriots aren't giving anyone a discount. They will let Jimmy G go to the highest bidder and that won't be us. Hoyer is familiar with McDaniels system and things are coming together for him. He was easily the best QB on the Bears and Texans the past two years. He deserves to start but you are right, health is his only issue because it's certainly not talent. I'm open to bringing back Kap or bringing in Taylor as long as it's back up money like Hoyer got. If not, there isn't a FA QB available and we need someone to take snaps.

Davis is my favorite WR and I think he could go in the top 15 to be honest but everyone thought Michael Thomas was going in the 1st round at this point last year as well and he didn't go until mid-2nd. Until we get through with the combine, we won't have a clear picture. He is the 19th overall prospect on CBS. Ross is 25 so maybe he is a better option at that point.

Hightower and Brown are alternatives to Collins getting tagged.
[ Edited by Sims19849ers on Jan 12, 2017 at 11:36 AM ]
Garrett has been a webzone crush so long he isn't considered a new player by bolding his name lol
[ Edited by Hysterikal on Jan 12, 2017 at 11:37 AM ]
Pierre Garcon will be 31 next season. Hardly entering his prime.
Originally posted by captainhook:

Entering or in their prime. He is still in his prime and putting up great numbers. I would rather have a 31 year old Garcon for the next few years at $9 million a year than a 28 year old Smith at $8 million a year.
I'm pretty sure smoot your 5th round pick will be a first round pick. . . if not late first he will go early second. . .
Originally posted by Zachary13White:
I'm pretty sure smoot your 5th round pick will be a first round pick. . . if not late first he will go early second. . .

Damn. Like I said, a lot will change and I'm only using CBS Sports as my reference. They have him as a 5th rounder as of today

One of the better drafts I've seen thus far. I'd be down for that.
Really like the draft.

IMO, way too many FA.

I don't see us getting that many guys there but for 3.

McD will have time to build thru the draft.
Whats the back up plan for the #2 pick if the Browns take Garrett?
Originally posted by ninerAxe:
Whats the back up plan for the #2 pick if the Browns take Garrett?

Depends on what we did in FA. If everything stays the same, I'd probably take Allen or trade down
Originally posted by Sims19849ers:
Originally posted by captainhook:

Entering or in their prime. He is still in his prime and putting up great numbers. I would rather have a 31 year old Garcon for the next few years at $9 million a year than a 28 year old Smith at $8 million a year.

I wouldn't. Ideally, neither of those guys will be on the roster next year, but if I had to choose one, it would be Torrey Smith without a question. Garcon is about to get overpaid in free agency at $8-9 million a year because he played in a very good offense that had 5000 passing yards. Vernon Davis even looked like a #1 TE there when Reed was out. Kirk Cousins and Kyle Shanahan are for real. Torrey Smith wasn't productive, but his speed threatens defenses. Garcon is a mediocre possession receiver who benefited from playing in a great offense this year with much better weapons around him who commanded the attention of defenses.

Cleveland isn't giving up Jamie Collins (they'll just franchise him if they can't work out a long term deal). Don't know why he's in anyone's mock offseason.

Like most of the draft though I don't think Garrett will be there at 2.
Share 49ersWebzone