LISTEN: 49ers Drafted For Now And The Future →

There are 138 users in the forums

LG Quenton Nelson - Notre Dame - Jr

I know people are saying that he is the best to come out in years. I have watched him play and I don't see it. He is good player but I don't see one of the best of all time. I don't know why but I'm missing something. I don't think he's all that good of a pass blocking. He struggles if anyone can put a move on him. He is great with power. On Dallas OL he would fit in perfect. I think Kyle Shanahan want OL closer to 300 then 330. They asked Joshua Garnett to lose weight and reshape his body and I think he was around 330. I 100 % agree that they need OL help. They need to find someone the take over the LT spot. I want the 49er to draft OL help. I'm just not sure if Quenton Nelson is the type of OL they will be looking for. I think they want someone smaller to get outside on the zone read and make the DL run side to side, so in the 4th Ndamukong Suh will be on the side line sucking wind. Shanahan doesn't want to run a power game trying to run over the defense.
ive been holding off declaring an official draft crush but I can't help myself, I absolutely love Nelson's game. He's a moving stonewall, his ability to jam defenders at the line is eye popping. But what I'm most impressed with is the leverage and balance hes able to maintain for a man of his size, frankly its scary. I'd bet he could hold his own against Suh and Donald as a rookie.

All that said seems like a long shot at best he's on the board at 9 Broncos would have to go QB, Bears and Bengals would have to go defense.
Originally posted by GMniner805:
ive been holding off declaring an official draft crush but I can't help myself, I absolutely love Nelson's game. He's a moving stonewall, his ability to jam defenders at the line is eye popping. But what I'm most impressed with is the leverage and balance hes able to maintain for a man of his size, frankly its scary. I'd bet he could hold his own against Suh and Donald as a rookie.

All that said seems like a long shot at best he's on the board at 9 Broncos would have to go QB, Bears and Bengals would have to go defense.

Yeah, sadly we have almost zero chance of getting him at #9. I think we'd have to jump up to 7 to have a chance at him. If we don't get Nelson, then I hope we trade down for more picks.
Originally posted by Ottawa49er:
Originally posted by GMniner805:

Yeah, sadly we have almost zero chance of getting him at #9. I think we'd have to jump up to 7 to have a chance at him. If we don't get Nelson, then I hope we trade down for more picks.

Maybe the Colts will be interested in trading back again, the 49ers could swap 9 & 70 for 6 and nab Nelson. That would be the dream
Originally posted by dlance:
I know people are saying that he is the best to come out in years. I have watched him play and I don't see it. He is good player but I don't see one of the best of all time. I don't know why but I'm missing something. I don't think he's all that good of a pass blocking. He struggles if anyone can put a move on him. He is great with power. On Dallas OL he would fit in perfect. I think Kyle Shanahan want OL closer to 300 then 330. They asked Joshua Garnett to lose weight and reshape his body and I think he was around 330. I 100 % agree that they need OL help. They need to find someone the take over the LT spot. I want the 49er to draft OL help. I'm just not sure if Quenton Nelson is the type of OL they will be looking for. I think they want someone smaller to get outside on the zone read and make the DL run side to side, so in the 4th Ndamukong Suh will be on the side line sucking wind. Shanahan doesn't want to run a power game trying to run over the defense.

The only team that ran more outside zone than the 49ers last season was Dallas.
Originally posted by darockzillahitman:
Actually, Gore had the second highest yards per rush attempt of his career the year before they drafted Iupati and Davis. And after those picks, Alex continued holding the ball until the cows came home and getting sacked too much. Three first round picks starting on the 2011 line and Alex Smith was sacked the most times in the NFL, despite it being a run-first offense.

The 49ers already took a guard in the first just a couple of years ago, and who knows...maybe he'll actually pan out if he has lost weight. Then again, maybe he won't. But do you really want to keep hammering at a position high in the draft where it has been proven you can get great results with middle and late round picks, and UDFA?

Surely, we're going to be taking a LT in the first round next year with Staley in what is most likely his final year. The great offenses have never been built through a bunch of first round offensive linemen.

And we are not Dallas. This is a passing team. Jimmy G is being paid to be Brady Lite, not Trent Green.

Also, not too long ago I was watching the 1992 49ers/Eagles game. The Eagles were kicking Reggie White inside to nose tackle. White played quite a bit inside throughout his career. Bruce Smith, too, when you consider he was a 3-4 DE in the Bills' base defense for most of his career.

Those are the top 2 men in NFL history in sacks.

Yet the 49ers were able to throw guys like UDFA Jesse Sapolu out there and survive.

Appreciate the discussion.

Given we'll be taking a high T next year, like you noted, if we were in position to take Nelson this year, how ideal is that? You now have:

T.Brown - Nelson - Richburg - Garnett - Rookie T.

You pay big $ to Brown and Richburg but you've got 3 rookies on 5 year rookie contracts. Ideal from both a salary cap and talent perspective.

My only issue with your original stance was that you don't value G's and esp. taking a G high. I just think that's outdated and the past 6 years have proven teams are willing to pay G's in FA as much as LT's.

If we had one dominant G, OK, but we have nothing but huge question marks there at BOTH G spots.

You proved my point about about Staley, Iupati and Davis. Back then, OL were far more pro ready coming into the league. Now, because of the lack of pro style offenses and growth of the spread offenses, they take extra years to develop at the pro level hence, why teams are willing to pay big for G's in free agency because they are developed and are known products. Since we didn't go big on talent at G in free agency, we have no choice but utilize the draft. And if you're going there, you might as well get the best in the class. It just so happens that Nelson is also considered the best overall position player in this draft outside of QB (potential) and Chubb (premium ER position).

Dallas was known as a power OL because they had physically dominant G's with serious attitudes. That's Nelson to a tee. He'd just do the same in an inside and outside zone scheme while still being dominant in pass protection. The attitude alone would do wonders for the OL...like Sherman for our DB's.
[ Edited by NCommand on Apr 10, 2018 at 8:14 AM ]
Dude.

Originally posted by NCommand:
Dude.

I've said it in another thread, bear in mind that I've only been watching college and doing any more than watch a few highlights for 2 or 3 years, but Nelson is the best prospect I've seen.

I thought Garrett was exceptional, but outside of position value I think Nelson is even better. I did really like Ramsey but still going for Nelson. He's that good IMO.
Originally posted by NCommand:
Actually, there were more good interior pass rushers in the past. These days, Aaron Donald is the rare exception.

You will never see someone at DT today posting a Keith Millard 1989 season, or a Dana Stubblefield 1997 season. Since the turn of the millennium, interior pass rushers have become nearly extinct. These days, what were considered solid but not jaw-dropping sack totals for a DT such as stuff a Jerome Brown or an Eric Swann would put up, are the cream of the crop for interior pass rush.

The reason we "allowed" interior "pressure" is Beathard and Hoyer held the ball until the cows came home. When Jimmy took over, those "problems" vanished, because Jimmy knows how to move around in the pocket and got the ball the F out of there.

I'm not saying you don't tweak the offensive line if you have turnstiles in there at guard (there are some guys who just don't belong starting in the league), but you don't do it with a freak'n first round pick, and ESPECIALLY not at 9th overall. You can do it with a middle or late round pick, or even an UDFA.

You can find the guy who can do that underrated job for you by finding someone who was really effective in college but didn't have the measurables that got the scouts' attention. Offensive line is an effort position more than anything else. The guys with the work ethic and focus will be fine, presuming the blocking scheme and offensive system is in place.

The 49ers made a mistake in letting Fusco leave via FA. He was rock solid. Tomlinson was the one who should have been replaced, if anything.

And you needed great G's back then too...just like now.

You ignore our very own history and the current landscape of college OL coming out. We drafted Anthony Davis at 9 and Mike Iupati at 17. That worked out didn't it...ask Frank Gore. Nelson at 9, nobody would question that and most would be absolutely shocked if he fell that far. We're talking about a guy who has far more upside than a Mike Iupati and many teams will have him as #1 on their big boards.

Again, this isn't 1981. DC's bring waves of DL at OL now, move their best pass rushers inside as much outside and stunt inside.

Go watch the highlight video of Garropolo in his thread here...he's either rushed or hit right after he threw on the majority of those highlights...hence, 116 QB hits, and again, most are right up the middle d/t horrendous interior line play.

It's hard to believe I'm having this conversation with a Niner fan who's watched some of the absolute worst interior line play for decades now.

"You can do it with a middle or late round pick, or even an UDFA." - yes, this has worked out wonderful for us for how long now?

Actually, Gore had the second highest yards per rush attempt of his career the year before they drafted Iupati and Davis. And after those picks, Alex continued holding the ball until the cows came home and getting sacked too much. Three first round picks starting on the 2011 line and Alex Smith was sacked the most times in the NFL, despite it being a run-first offense.

The 49ers already took a guard in the first just a couple of years ago, and who knows...maybe he'll actually pan out if he has lost weight. Then again, maybe he won't. But do you really want to keep hammering at a position high in the draft where it has been proven you can get great results with middle and late round picks, and UDFA?

Surely, we're going to be taking a LT in the first round next year with Staley in what is most likely his final year. The great offenses have never been built through a bunch of first round offensive linemen.

And we are not Dallas. This is a passing team. Jimmy G is being paid to be Brady Lite, not Trent Green.

Also, not too long ago I was watching the 1992 49ers/Eagles game. The Eagles were kicking Reggie White inside to nose tackle. White played quite a bit inside throughout his career. Bruce Smith, too, when you consider he was a 3-4 DE in the Bills' base defense for most of his career.

Those are the top 2 men in NFL history in sacks.

Yet the 49ers were able to throw guys like UDFA Jesse Sapolu out there and survive.

There are I think a number of weaknesses in your argument. It doesnt seem, for example, to take into account a man called Bobb. But there is one factual error. Sapolu was not an UDFA. He was a late round draft pick. And a very fine lineman. Do you say that the Patriots are able to throw Tom Brady out there and survive? Once they are drafted the pick becomes fairly irrelevant. Do a little research on Sapolu before you put him down again.
Originally posted by BigBug415:
It's my belief that if Andrew Norwell didn't fit Kyle's system, Quenton Nelson doesn't either. 🤔

"Everyone thinks we like small guards, I just like people who can move. If you're 400 pounds and can move, I'd rather have that guy than the 300-pound guy who can move the same. The problem is that most really heavy guys can't move."

-Kyle Shanahan

Here's how Nelson compares to Norwell and Lineman Shanahan coveted. (Nelson tweaked a hamstring at the combine so no 40 time and spark score are available, but here are strength, explosion and agility comparisons.)

Quinton Nelson
Height: 6'5"
Weight: 325LBS.
BENCH PRESS: 35 REPS
VERTICAL JUMP: 26.5 INCH
BROAD JUMP: 105.0 INCH
3 CONE DRILL: 7.65 SEC
20 YARD SHUTTLE: 4.62 SEC

Andrew norwell
Height: 6' 6
Weight: 315 LBS
Bench Reps: 22
Vertical Jump: 28 INCH
Broad Jump: 105 INCH
3-Cone Drill: 8.09
20 Yrd Shuttle: 4.93

Weston Richburg
HT: 6'3"
WT: 298LBS.
BENCH PRESS: 25 REPS
VERTICAL JUMP: 25.5 INCH
BROAD JUMP: 106.0 INCH
3 CONE DRILL: 7.93 SEC
20 YARD SHUTTLE: 4.63 SEC

Alex Mack
Height: 6'4
Weight: 311
Bench Press: 20 REPS
Vertical Jump: 28 1/2 INCH
Broad Jump: 106 INCH
3-Cone Drill: 7.31 SEC
20 Yrd Shuttle: 4.75 SEC

Staley- Nelson - Richburg - Garnett - Brown?
Originally posted by Cisco0623:

• TheNef77
  • Q46 Draft 3rd place
Originally posted by Cisco0623:

Dream come true
Originally posted by flynhayn15:
"Everyone thinks we like small guards, I just like people who can move. If you're 400 pounds and can move, I'd rather have that guy than the 300-pound guy who can move the same. The problem is that most really heavy guys can't move."

-Kyle Shanahan

Here's how Nelson compares to Norwell and Lineman Shanahan coveted. (Nelson tweaked a hamstring at the combine so no 40 time and spark score are available, but here are strength, explosion and agility comparisons.)

Quinton Nelson

Andrew norwell

Weston Richburg

Alex Mack

That is a disgusting shuttle time for a 320 pound+ OL.

Will Hernandez was also pretty ridiculous. Two big guards that move like guys who are 30 pounds lighter.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by flynhayn15:

-Kyle Shanahan

Quinton Nelson

Andrew norwell

Weston Richburg

Alex Mack

That is a disgusting shuttle time for a 320 pound+ OL.

Will Hernandez was also pretty ridiculous. Two big guards that move like guys who are 30 pounds lighter.

Not to mention that those two were the two strongest OL at the combine, with 10+ more reps than the average OL in this years' draft.
Share 49ersWebzone