There are 240 users in the forums

Jeff Driskel --- Louisiana Tech ....... My Late Round QB Selection

By the way I really want his teammate next year.... Trent Taylor
I mentioned Driskel as a project pick later in the draft a while back, unfortunately it seems he's raised his draft stock. I do think if we don't go QB in the first 3 rounds he is worth taking a shot on. He's got great tools so if he can get his head right and work his ass off he can turn into a legit player.

Though if i'm being honest with myself we've seen way too many 5 star recruits who didn't produce that great in college get a second change and do absolutely nothing.
I'm glad some people are on board with me here. For a 4th, 5th or 6th round pick I think he is worth the gamble. I'm hoping he hasn't raised his value more than a 4th. I don't want to give up a 3rd. Ideally a 5th would be nice, I'd do a 4th if necessary. 1st - 3rd's are hard to part with for us because we can get real talent like Bowman and Borland there.

It's a gamble but one I'd be willing to take if the price is right. I like what he has done from high school to now.
His name sounds like a QB that will be out of the league in 7 years
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Would rather have Driskel than Cook, shoot I'd even be happy if Baalke drafted Hackenberg in the 2nd over Cook.
Originally posted by Zachary:
His name sounds like a QB that will be out of the league in 7 years

If he last 7 years he has done something and for a 4th, 5th or 6th round pick that would be the worst case scenario really.
Originally posted by Kolohe:
Would rather have Driskel than Cook, shoot I'd even be happy if Baalke drafted Hackenberg in the 2nd over Cook.

Not that this has anything do with that but one of Hackenberg's best friends works for me. Just a neat connection I thought.

It was kinda ironic, just before that report about Hackenberg not liking Franklin came out, the guy at my work was telling me how much more Hackenberg liked O'Brien and that Franklin was the main reason he was coming out even though his draft stock had dropped.
Originally posted by Truman49:
Originally posted by MrMrMEanerMister:
I'd like to draft this guy with one of our 5th or 6th round picks.

I agree, we should be looking at adding 1 maybe 2 quarterbacks in the draft.....
I wouldn't mind getting 2 of the three of Driskell, Doughty, or Hogan. I'll bet one of these guys becomes something.
I've been on the Driskell bandwagon for a bit now , he could be groomed into a productive QB in the new system, he could either be the next Jeff Garcia or Matt Cavanaugh with some time and grooming
Originally posted by Murphys1:
I wouldn't mind getting 2 of the three of Driskell, Doughty, or Hogan. I'll bet one of these guys becomes something.

I don't think we should go thrift store shopping with QBs.

If the scouts don't have one guy rated high enough then no need to add a bunch of them and hope one works out. You'll only have so many snaps in camp and a new offense being installed so you can't have 5+ QBs sharing all of them.

Driskell is a guy who MAY put it all together and become a decent starter but he could also be awful. Hogan's chances of being a legit starter IMO are on the low side but he has a higher chance of being a decent backup/stop gap QB.

Originally posted by genus49:
I don't think we should go thrift store shopping with QBs.

If the scouts don't have one guy rated high enough then no need to add a bunch of them and hope one works out. You'll only have so many snaps in camp and a new offense being installed so you can't have 5+ QBs sharing all of them.

Driskell is a guy who MAY put it all together and become a decent starter but he could also be awful. Hogan's chances of being a legit starter IMO are on the low side but he has a higher chance of being a decent backup/stop gap QB.

This. Drafting a bunch of QBs late is basically pissing away draft picks. QB has the lowest odds of success in the 3rd round and below.

If you arent taking a QB early, take one guy that you think could develop into a solid backup and try again to get a QB early next year.
This is what I was thinking. I only want 3 QB's minus trading Kaep later when teams get desperate...

So something like one of the following two:

(obviously not now but)

1. Goff/Wentz
2. Driskel
3. Gabbert (for chip to work with if he likes him)

1. Cardale (4th)
2. Driskel (5th)
3. Gabbert
4. UDFA/Lewis (for camp/preseason)

With this 2nd option or something similar with prospects we like we could go defense and take the Broncos route with draft picks.
"He's got all the tools in the world," one scout said. "You've just got to get over the fact he was a transfer from Florida. He's a little bit of a different kid but you want to talk about talent after the (top) three, he's the next guy. He's more talented than Cook." Easily ran the fastest 40 at the position and had the best broad jump (10-2), too. "Any elite quarterback, he'll test as well as them," said another scout. "His confidence was shot at Florida. It did take a toll on him. He's still developing but there's a huge ceiling."

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/rating-the-nfl-draft-prospects-quarterbacks-b99704527z1-376408321.html
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
"He's got all the tools in the world," one scout said. "You've just got to get over the fact he was a transfer from Florida. He's a little bit of a different kid but you want to talk about talent after the (top) three, he's the next guy. He's more talented than Cook." Easily ran the fastest 40 at the position and had the best broad jump (10-2), too. "Any elite quarterback, he'll test as well as them," said another scout. "His confidence was shot at Florida. It did take a toll on him. He's still developing but there's a huge ceiling."

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/rating-the-nfl-draft-prospects-quarterbacks-b99704527z1-376408321.html

Wtf at Lynch's 18 on the Wonderlic??
Originally posted by genus49:
Wtf at Lynch's 18 on the Wonderlic??

Yeah, not sure if it was because dude was home-schooled in Florida or if he really isn't all that sharp.
Share 49ersWebzone