LISTEN: 49ers Play It Smart on Day Two of the Draft →

There are 220 users in the forums

9ersLiferInChicago Mock Draft – 2.0

Talk about a Boom or Bust draft
Originally posted by 9ersLiferInChicago:
After really thinking about it I think that Lambs draft trade is gonna effect a lot of teams. Before then I had our chances of getting Goff or Wentz better than 70-30. Now I see it as no chance. I only saw one team – the Browns – as the only team as a lock to draft a QB. Now with that trade I see Goff and Wentz going one and two, respectively. Again, I think this draft should be heavier on the defense. Personnel wise I honest think this roster already has much of what Chip Kelly needs to win, including along the O-line.

1. (7th overall)
OLB – Joey Bosa, 6-5, 269, Ohio St. (Shaq Lawson if Bosa is gone)
No need for explanation here. Will stand up play OLB in the NFL. But in certain NASCAR packages can put his hands in the dirt. Has J.J Watt written all over him. Bosa will solve multiple defensive problems for us due to his unblockability alone. Even as a rookie he's gonna command a double team (and unlike Aldon, Bosa will still be effective even when doubled). That'll leave Lynch and or Armstead 1-on-1.This will make our T-E stunt game deadly. Drafting Bosa will make our front 7 THE best in the league.

2. (6th of the 2nd)
QB – Paxton Lynch, 6-7, 244lbs, Memphis
Unless a team (Denver) reaches for him late in the first Lynch most definitely will be there for us at this spot. The Cowboys might get him at pick 3 of the 2nd, but I doubt it. The other teams picking before us at this point don't need QB's. Lynch will be perfect for Chip's offense. Big and strong in the pocket, big arm, and very accurate. I'm glad we're keeping Kaep, this will allow us to bridge in Lynch for 2017.

[Note] If Denver pulls the trigger on Lynch then we should go Conner Cook. While not as big as Lynch, he's still big, 6-4, 217, with room to get bigger. Quick decider who, when given time, will master an offence. In any event we gotta get the best QB available here.

3. (5th of the 3rd)
ILB – Scooby Wright III, 6-1, 240
This kid has Chris Borland (who had Zach Thomas) written all over him, but without the likelihood of a cowardice move. A real definition of a tackling machine. This is a relentless kid who plays with a very high motor.

4. (7th of the 4th)
CB – Maurice Canady, 6-2, 193lbs, Virginia
Good value here. Very good ball skills. Natural CB for his size. Shut-down ability. Physical at the LOS. Very good in run support. And, he's a very good return guy as well. Needs to play with more control.

5. (35th of the 4th, compensatory)
NG/DT - Hassan Ridgeway, 6-3, 303lbs, Texas
No real change here.

6. (3rd of the 5th, from San Diego)
OG/OT - Avery Young, Auburn, 6-5, 328
Still wanna get this kid, though earlier now. I see he's moving up draft boards fast.

7. (6th of the 5th)
CB - Daryl Worley, W. Virginia, 6-2, 204.
No change here

8. (37th of the 5th, compensatory)
WR – Chris Moore, Cincinnati, 6-2 / 206 lbs. 4-4 40 at pro day.
Deep threat without having to draft a tiny player. Great combination of size and speed. Really stretches the field. Will push somebody not named Tory Smith for playing time. Much run better routes (but so does most WR's coming out of college). Needs to be more deliberate coming off the LOS.

9. (3rd of the 6th, from Dallas)
SS – Jayron Kearse, 6-4, 217, Clemson
If the name sound familiar you'd be right. He's the nephew of one Jevon Kearse, and he's also the cousin of Phillip Buchanon. So the pedigree is definitely there, though more of the freakish athlete of his uncle. Jayron is big and imposing, and plays that way. An intimidating, big hitter. Decent ball skills, rangy, and surprisingly fast for his size. Will be a real missile on ST. Will have to learn to play under control and not over-run plays.

10. (32nd of the 6th, from Denver)
DE/DT – Anthony Zettel, 6-4, 277lbs. Penn State.
Not much change here.

11. (36th of the 6th, compensatory)
OG – Rees Odhiamabo, 6-4, 314lbs, Boise State
Very balanced kid, good in both pass and run blocking. Keeps a solid base with his feet, yet light and athletic on his feet. Agile enough to play OT in a pinch, especially in a zone blocking scheme. Very raw, still learning, but coming to a team with OG's in front of him he won't be relied on unless we suffer another injury bug. The biggest problem is his durability. But at least we won't be drafting an injured player. But I think this would be a late round steal here.

12. (38th of the 6th, compensatory)
RB - Devon Johnson, 6-0, 238, Marshall.
Picked a little later, but still will be there for us. Like I said, we got to get this kid in a 49ers uniform. Mark my words this kid will be talked about as being among the major steals in this draft. Like I said, he's everything we need in a RB – size, speed, won't go down, and good in pass protection. I would not be surprised to see this kid drafted late 5th, early 6th.

Thoughts
Need another pass rusher earlier and best guard and tackle available ....2 OLB's and 2 Solid O linemen with our first 4 picks
Originally posted by dsmith_49erz:
Need another pass rusher earlier and best guard and tackle available ....2 OLB's and 2 Solid O linemen with our first 4 picks

No need for 2 OLBs early when Lynch is set as a starter at one spot and you have Harold taking on a bigger role as well as Brooks potentially sticking around. You cant hit the QB from the bench.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:

No need for 2 OLBs early when Lynch is set as a starter at one spot and you have Harold taking on a bigger role as well as Brooks potentially sticking around. You cant hit the QB from the bench.

Stay tuned for Carradine and Marcus Rush with a year in the weight room too.
Why?
I dig it. Really want to see a pass rusher and QB with our 1st two picks. Bosa not an ideal fit in our defense, but he'd arguably be the best player on the board if he slipped to 7, and is versatile.

I've been slowly warming up to Lynch. Still think he's miles behind Goff and Wentz. The offense he played in Memphis was comically simplistic. But, you got to love that size, athleticism, and arm strength. He flashes deadly accuracy at times too. Also has a surprisingly quick release and is fluid in his movements in the pocket. Always keeps his eyes downfield. It's just a question if he can read a defense lol.
[ Edited by SofaKing on Apr 18, 2016 at 4:38 PM ]
Why?

Why! Really?
Because we have no pass rush and our O line played trashy all year except week 1. We are in this position now because the Niners stock pile late picks, instead of quality picks early. The quantity strategy isn't working out and we can get quality pass rushers and O line help ( day 1 starters ) with our first 4 picks. IJS.
Draft them anyways, who held down the pass rushing duties when Lynch went down?
When has Ahmad Brooks been a force?
If you have the opportunity draft possible upgrades over hmmm Lemeoire / Brooks , would you?
Or do we have any all pro's at the OLB position, that would keep a rookie off the field?
I'm not being sarcastic, I'm asking real questions....we need help at OLB department of pass rushers badly. And my stance is play your best 11, no such thing as a set starter
Originally posted by SofaKing:
I dig it. Really want to see a pass rusher and QB with our 1st two picks. Bosa not an ideal fit in our defense, but he'd arguably be the best player on the board if he slipped to 7, and is versatile.

I've been slowly warming up to Lynch. Still think he's miles behind Goff and Wentz. The offense he played in Memphis was comically simplistic. But, you got to love that size, athleticism, and arm strength. He flashes deadly accuracy at times too. Also has a surprisingly quick release and is fluid in his movements in the pocket. Always keeps his eyes downfield. It's just a question if he can read a defense lol.
Yeah, but it'll be a stretch to hope he drops. Lot depends on what Denver does. Lynch is miles away from Goff and Wentz but he's much better than the rest. Plus, with Kaep and Gabbert on the roster sitting him a year will work wonders.
Nice mock

If you have the opportunity draft possible upgrades over hmmm Lemeoire / Brooks , would you?
Or do we have any all pro's at the OLB position, that would keep a rookie off the field?
I'm not being sarcastic, I'm asking real questions....we need help at OLB department of pass rushers badly. And my stance is play your best 11, no such thing as a set starter

Who says you are drafting upgrades......this is a weak draft for edge rushers. I doubt anyone you get in the later rounds gives you anything more than Harold gave you last year, if that. If you have a group of Brooks, Lynch, Bosa and Harold, you are pretty much good to go.

This is a deep draft for OL and DL, those should be the areas that they focus on, especially later on.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Apr 18, 2016 at 6:43 PM ]
Why?

Why! Really?
Because we have no pass rush and our O line played trashy all year except week 1. We are in this position now because the Niners stock pile late picks, instead of quality picks early. The quantity strategy isn't working out and we can get quality pass rushers and O line help ( day 1 starters ) with our first 4 picks. IJS.
Clearly you don't appreciate coaching and scheme, and how both relate to personnel. We don't need to draft two OLB, least of all early. I cannot wait to see your mock

Who says you are drafting upgrades......this is a weak draft for edge rushers. I doubt anyone you get in the later rounds gives you anything more than Harold gave you last year, if that. If you have a group of Brooks, Lynch, Bosa and Harold, you are pretty much good to go.

This is a deep draft for OL and DL, those should be the areas that they focus on, especially later on.
Thank you very much Cannot seem to get that point across to folks
Originally posted by Since07:
Talk about a Boom or Bust draft
Isn't that pretty much how these drafts are? Drafting players are an inexact science. Nobody really knows for sure how these guys will pan out.
Thank you very much Cannot seem to get that point across to folks

The purpose of the draft is to get younger and better, that's the point guys...........you don't know what you have until you draft them and again we don't have a top 30 pass rush, so I'm a bit confused about these weak pass rush class comments....We have 12 picks, not 2. There are enough rushers in this draft to select from early, it's not taboo to draft multiple players at one position....Pass rushers and O line should be our first 4 pick...Unless Brooks , Lem and Harold are going to evolve dramatically. Last I checked, We didn't get any pressure let alone sacks from that bunch with or without Lynch.
Share 49ersWebzone