LISTEN: 49ers Play It Smart on Day Two of the Draft →

There are 137 users in the forums

Compare Willis to Jack

Originally posted by 49er_Rider:
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:
Patrick was a natural LB compared to Jack who is more Jamie Collins a freak athletically but Jack is more aggressive IMO

Jack would add to the element we lack in a LB who can cover the slot, TEs and Rbs.

Where is the love for this guy from the webzone, he's coming to visit and yet no article on him? Sad!

Agree

Had to call them out! Finally!

I actually considered doing a write up on Jack, but i don't see him as a realistic option for the 49ers at 7. They need more help at more vital positions, and he's still an injury question mark to me. A meniscus repair usually takes 2 months tops to recover from, and Jack still isn't better, and he's not being honest about it. He says he's 100%, but he elected not to run a 40 at the pro day because of health reasons. That's not good. Even with a clean bill of health, we'd be taking a LB who wasn't as good of a college player as Willis 4 spots ahead of Willis, and SCARY early for an ILB. His ceiling is crazy high, and he could be a much better NFL player than he was in college, with perfect health, an imaginative DC, and the ability to assimilate and adapt to all of his new roles Not sure if he'll ever reach that ceiling, or if he'll be 100% healthy.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
I think Willis was a far more polished product, more game ready than most prospects in recent memory, better at the point of attack, fighting through blockers, better overall instincts.

Jack is more a "jack of all trades" type, better suited for coverage but gets washed out a lot going against blockers. Coverage-wise I think he'd be a top 3 LB in the NFL from day one. For as big as he is, he's shown the ability to hang with WR's, let alone TE's and RB's. In that regards he'd be the ultimate dream fit for a Tampa 2 scheme. Teams have tried him out at safety so he'd be a very versatile guy that could be used in a number of ways by a creative defensive coordinator.

I could see his upside being a Derrick Brooks type of LB, although even faster but he's still fairly raw at this point.

I guess that would make him very valuable since it's a passing league.
Originally posted by xcfan:

Highly productive.

117 solo tackles, 1 sack, 1 FF and 4 INT's in 29 games. Not sure I'd quantify that as "highly productive."

It's a shame he got injured because it would have been interesting to see if his production increased without Kendricks or Barr around.

Would you pass if he was there at #7??

Highly productive.

117 solo tackles, 1 sack, 1 FF and 4 INT's in 29 games. Not sure I'd quantify that as "highly productive."

It's a shame he got injured because it would have been interesting to see if his production increased without Kendricks or Barr around.

Who else is available?
Originally posted by WRATHman44:

Highly productive.

Who else is available?

Buckner, Goff

Highly productive.

Who else is available?

Buckner, Goff

I like Jack, but I'd take both of those guys before him. Both positions are ore vital to a team's success, and both are bigger question mars, imo. I like Dial as a nasty space-eater, but we need more in the way of pass rush, and immediate interior pressure derails offenses quickly. Goff could be as special at QB as Jack could be at ILB, for very different reasons.
Highly productive.

Who else is available?

Buckner, Goff

I like Jack, but I'd take both of those guys before him. Both positions are ore vital to a team's success, and both are bigger question mars, imo. I like Dial as a nasty space-eater, but we need more in the way of pass rush, and immediate interior pressure derails offenses quickly. Goff could be as special at QB as Jack could be at ILB, for very different reasons.

I wouldn't because you have depth in those positions other than Bowman the 49ers have no depth at LB which is why Jack is of higher value IMO
I wouldn't because you have depth in those positions other than Bowman the 49ers have no depth at LB which is why Jack is of higher value IMO

What depth do you have at DE? Dial is a rotational player at best. They need at starter opposite Armstead. How is that any different from Wilhoite and Hodges at ILB?

At QB? Kaepernick has one foot out the door and Gabbert has been a bust thus far in his career and is a FA after the season. They need a QB for the future.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Apr 9, 2016 at 4:56 PM ]

What depth do you have at DE? Dial is a rotational player at best. They need at starter opposite Armstead. How is that any different from Wilhoite and Hodges at ILB?

At QB? Kaepernick has one foot out the door and Gabbert has been a bust thus far in his career and is a FA after the season. They need a QB for the future.

At this point is Gabbert and Kap on this team no reason do draft Qb high

DL Dial, Armstead, Dorsey, Williams, Tank, TJE, Purcell that's good 7 DL

LB you only got 1 good one Bowman the rest are dudes not starter material career backups. Bowman gets hurt they are done can't afford for that to happen again.

Probably the Biggest concern all off season and into the draft.

I'm thinking both will be here for at least one more season.

I'm thinking Buckner will be gone unless Baalke trades up a bit.

If not Spence or maybe Flloyd.

I'm hoping for Dak in the 2nd.

You know what they say, if you have two QBs then you dont have one. An overpaid QB who will be cut or traded sooner rather than later in Kaepernick and a guy that thus far has been a bust and is on a short contract in Gabbert.

QB is a major need.

LB you only got 1 good one Bowman the rest are dudes not starter material career backups. Bowman gets hurt they are done can't afford for that to happen again.

If you have a "good DL" with a guy like TJE then you are loaded at ILB with Wilhoite and Hodges.

Realistically at the DL you have Arik Armstead at DE, Ian Williams injured yet again at NT, Dorsey recovering from an injury at NT, Purcell at NT and a rotational guy in Dial at DE.

The DL is far from set and far from being "good."

If it comes down to Jack, Buckner and Goff. I go Goff because you cant pass up a potential franchise QB when you have a shot at one, if Goff is gone, Buckner because an instant starter at DE would be a huge boost to winning in the trenches and if the other two are gone, then I would go with Jack.

You know what they say, if you have two QBs then you dont have one. An overpaid QB who will be cut or traded sooner rather than later in Kaepernick and a guy that thus far has been a bust and is on a short contract in Gabbert.

QB is a major need.

If you have a "good DL" with a guy like TJE then you are loaded at ILB with Wilhoite and Hodges.

Realistically at the DL you have Arik Armstead at DE, Ian Williams injured yet again at NT, Dorsey recovering from an injury at NT, Purcell at NT and a rotational guy in Dial at DE.

The DL is far from set and far from being "good."

If it comes down to Jack, Buckner and Goff. I go Goff because you cant pass up a potential franchise QB when you have a shot at one, if Goff is gone, Buckner because an instant starter at DE would be a huge boost to winning in the trenches and if the other two are gone, then I would go with Jack.

I'm seeing it as if Kap is Gone is QB in the 1st but if both Qb's are here then 2nd/3rd round options are best I mean this team has many holes to fill
Originally posted by Harbaalke:
I'm seeing it as if Kap is Gone is QB in the 1st but if both Qb's are here then 2nd/3rd round options are best I mean this team has many holes to fill

Kaepernick is gone. I dont buy that he has any future with this team at this point. I expect a trade to get worked out prior to the draft. If he were somehow to stick around then it would be to get cut or traded later. He isnt a fit for the offense and too many bridges have been burnt between him and the team.

And I totally agree that this team has a lot of needs, but you wont fill them all in one year, likely not even in 2 years. If youre in position to take a potential franchise QB, then I think you go and do it because you wont be in that position to do every year.

If you cant get a QB then I think you go to work on the trenches, DL and OL. Get strong in both those areas. That is why I would prefer Buckner over Jack.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Apr 9, 2016 at 6:16 PM ]

And I totally agree that this team has a lot of needs, but you wont fill them all in one year, likely not even in 2 years. If youre in position to take a potential franchise QB, then I think you go and do it because you wont be in that position to do every year.

If you cant get a QB then I think you go to work on the trenches, DL and OL. Get strong in both those areas. That is why I would prefer Buckner over Jack.

If they believe Goff is a franchise qb and he's there I agree you almost have to take him even at the risk of Jack being a better player. As long as it's not wentz who almost certainly will be a bust and will probably slide into the later part of the first round if cle doesn't take him.

If rebuilding the trenches is a multi year project then we made our investment last year in armstead. Going back to the same position for a guy that lacks quickness in space, explosiveness, and the ability to finish plays, just because he is a giant and can be disruptive is overlooking an opportunity to add a true game breaking player. If dial and armstead develop into what they should, we can go after ray McDonald's (3rd Rd) and abreyo franklins (undrafted) to fit the scheme without wasting a pick at 7. Buckner would be the worst possible pick.
[ Edited by bopicksix on Apr 9, 2016 at 8:16 PM ]
Jack is the reincarnation of Willis, just evolved for today's pass heavy NFL.
Share 49ersWebzone