LISTEN: 49ers Play It Smart on Day Two of the Draft →

There are 153 users in the forums

DTG Mock 2

I would poop my pants in excitement.

Buuut I dont think Spence will be there in the 2nd. Too many teams are willing to look past the off the field probs to take a talented kid like that.
Originally posted by Homer:
If we got Spence, Buckner, and Scooby in the draft and targeted your target FA's I would consider it my favorite off season of any professional team I've ever been a fan of. Can you imagine that draft + Von Miller, we'd make the playoffs. We could have two defensive lineups and keep them both fresh. Unfortunately I don't think those guys I mentioned will be available when we pick. Nice work though. We're def on the same page in terms of building up the roster.

Well, the target FAs are just that...guys who would immediately impact the team. But you can't assume any would sign...which is why I mentioned two as a reasonable number to hope for. As for the draft, I am hoping (year after year) that Baalke consolidates picks to move higher, making Spence and Scooby possible. If Spence falls to the second round Baalke might pass as well assuming the team doesn't need another soap opera.
Originally posted by ChipKelly:

Buuut I dont think Spence will be there in the 2nd. Too many teams are willing to look past the off the field probs to take a talented kid like that.

Would you give up four or five mid/late picks to move up for Spence?
Originally posted by dtg_9er:

What do you mean by mid late picks? If your going back into the 1st your giving up your 2nd this year and next. Teams aren't gonna want a bunch of 5th and 6th round picks if there given up a pick in the early teens because thats his floor.
Originally posted by NYniner85:

What do you mean by mid late picks? If your going back into the 1st your giving up your 2nd this year and next. Teams aren't gonna want a bunch of 5th and 6th round picks if there given up a pick in the early teens because thats his floor.

I agree NY you would need more to move back up to the 1st.

And to answer your question dtg, no I would not give up next years 1st or 2nd round picks for Spence. Just too big of a risk.

I don't believe his floor has been determined so I'm asking...If you can make multiple trades to get back into the mid to late first, and still keep a third, would you make those trades? Can't trade comp picks yet, so two sixths for an extra fifth, two fifths for an extra fourth..etc. Scooby is a third rounder according to many/most boards, So the key would be to move up into the first for Spence. Buckner at #7 and if Spence slides to the late first...
I agree NY you would need more to move back up to the 1st.

And to answer your question dtg, no I would not give up next years 1st or 2nd round picks for Spence. Just too big of a risk.

Wasn't suggesting giving up future picks. Many want to use the niners 7th on the guy but that's just as riskly as giving up a pick next year. That makes little sense to me. I don't think Baalke takes a risk unless he is late first or early second...if then. After all the "win with class" rhetoric they would be severely criticized for being inconsistent.
I don't believe his floor has been determined so I'm asking...If you can make multiple trades to get back into the mid to late first, and still keep a third, would you make those trades? Can't trade comp picks yet, so two sixths for an extra fifth, two fifths for an extra fourth..etc. Scooby is a third rounder according to many/most boards, So the key would be to move up into the first for Spence. Buckner at #7 and if Spence slides to the late first...

In order to move up in the first( hypothetically we will say 15th-20th) you'd have to give up at the very least a 2nd this year and next plus picks his year and that might not be enough according to the draft value chart

http://walterfootball.com/draftchart.php

I mean it all depends who there when a teams picking maybe they don't value anyone and want multiple picks but we have to give up a lot of picks to move up in the 1st again your not gonna be able to draft half of the people you wanted in your mock.

If you like Buckner just roll with him if you don't feel safe with spence, but I just don't see the best 3-4 OLB dropping to us especially after what we saw in the playoffs....he's blown away people with his play on the field and from the sounds of it he's saying all the right things.

I'd love Buckner or spence at 7 but I fill there's DL depth in this draft compared to 3-4 OLBs.
In order to move up in the first( hypothetically we will say 15th-20th) you'd have to give up at the very least a 2nd this year and next plus picks his year and that might not be enough according to the draft value chart

I mean it all depends who there when a teams picking maybe they don't value anyone and want multiple picks but we have to give up a lot of picks to move up in the 1st again your not gonna be able to draft half of the people you wanted in your mock.

If you like Buckner just roll with him if you don't feel safe with spence, but I just don't see the best 3-4 OLB dropping to us especially after what we saw in the playoffs....he's blown away people with his play on the field and from the sounds of it he's saying all the right things.

I'd love Buckner or spence at 7 but I fill there's DL depth in this draft compared to 3-4 OLBs.

You are most likely correct but if there are more incidents like Manziel, and if the NFL institutes the rules for combine invitations they are considering, he may drop. The key may be--are the incidents all related to one issue.

You are most likely correct but if there are more incidents like Manziel, and if the NFL institutes the rules for combine invitations they are considering, he may drop. The key may be--are the incidents all related to one issue.

That won't be enforced until next year if it does and it's for DV, gun charges, and sexual assault...not drug use as far as I know. Also I might be wrong but he was never arrested for anything just failed drug tests.

Like I've said he hasn't been in trouble in over a year and welcomes drug tests...sometimes you hit rock bottom espcially in the case of a young kid and rebound. That's why the have the interview process and if he does well you take him at 7....Aldon had zero problems coming out of college it can happen to someone who hasn't had issues too.

I might even go as far as saying someone with past issues would be more apt to staying on the straight because they've already seen what they can lose and will be watched much more than someone like Aldon who didn't have past problems.

Regardless IMO he doesn't drop unless he bombs the interview or gets arrested before the draft....in that case SF will cross him off their board.

That won't be enforced until next year if it does and it's for DV, gun charges, and sexual assault...not drug use as far as I know. Also I might be wrong but he was never arrested for anything just failed drug tests.

Like I've said he hasn't been in trouble in over a year and welcomes drug tests...sometimes you hit rock bottom espcially in the case of a young kid and rebound. That's why the have the interview process and if he does well you take him at 7....Aldon had zero problems coming out of college it can happen to someone who hasn't had issues too.

I might even go as far as saying someone with past issues would be more apt to staying on the straight because they've already seen what they can lose and will be watched much more than someone like Aldon who didn't have past problems.

Regardless IMO he doesn't drop unless he bombs the interview or gets arrested before the draft....in that case SF will cross him off their board.

OK...I submit! Edited the second round pick to Whitehair, one of my orignal ideas. Sadly, I don't know that the niners can get an edge rusher in this draft. I would be shocked if they used the 7th pick for a red flag guy.

OK...I submit! Edited the second round pick to Whitehair, one of my orignal ideas. Sadly, I don't know that the niners can get an edge rusher in this draft. I would be shocked if they used the 7th pick for a red flag guy.

Lol it's all good you value Buckner more then spence either one would be good too me
Lol it's all good you value Buckner more then spence either one would be good too me

I value blue chip without the red flag...but if Spence turns out to be Aldon without the baggage...I'll re-edit this mock!

I value blue chip without the red flag...but if Spence turns out to be Aldon without the baggage...I'll re-edit this mock!

Lol well Buckner was tops on my list coming into the off season( I don't think he'll make it to us after the combine regardless) because I didn't see any OLB worth drafting that high...after watching spence more and more I think he's the real deal.

This is gonna be a crazy off season hopefully
Originally posted by 9ersLiferInChicago:
Yeah, I hope we move back up into the first to get and ILB. I don't do trade in my mocks either. Just too unpredictable, so I mock as if we're drafting every spot. But this draft I'm hoping that Baalke is really aggressive in the draft. In FA the only ones I'm hoping we can land is Wisniewski and Wilkerson. Von Miller is just gonna be too expensive. I mean, we're gonna have to over pay for somebody. But his price tag is already gonna be sky-high. But considering the piece of work our FO is Von is gonna demand a Ft. Knox. But Wisniewski and Wilkerson, even if we have to over pay a little (we can afford it), will really put this team back in the hunt.

I've debated moving back in the first to grab both Ragland and Spense...but the team needs a sure bet impact player and Buckner seems more likely to be that guy. I could see them moving up with their second round pick to grab either Ragland or Spence...or Lawson...or...
I like Buckner, but I don't see where he fits, or even the need for a DE in the 1st. We already have good talent there, not to mention we drafted there last season in the 1st:

G. Dorsey
A. Armstead (who'll likely start)
Tank

. . . . So I just don't see us addressing this position early in the draft. And mark my words, there's no way on earth that Ragland or Spence get anywhere close to the 2nd round.
Share 49ersWebzone