LISTEN: 49ers Play It Smart on Day Two of the Draft →

There are 186 users in the forums

Deshaun Watson, QB, Clemson - Legit alternative to Jared Goff in 2017?

Originally posted by birdie2bogey:
Originally posted by 49inchesdeep:
I'll be happy with either of these 4 scenarios.
1. Trade for Watson
2. Trade for Stafford
3. Keep Jimmy G and draft a qb in the 1st round.
4. Keep Jimmy and draft an OL or CB in the 1st.

Any scenario out there you'd get passed about or are you generally just really happy?

Well I've seen a lot of posts and also conversations with the fam. I'd be pissed if we cut or trade Jimmy and sign a journeyman qb like Fitz, Cam, Dalton or someone else and draft a qb. Idc if we'll save a lot of money going that route I think that'll be a terrible mistake. Also I'm trying to be optimistic because our team barring injury is so damn good that with either of those 4 scenarios I put id be a happy man!
Originally posted by birdie2bogey:
Originally posted by 49inchesdeep:
I'll be happy with either of these 4 scenarios.
1. Trade for Watson
2. Trade for Stafford
3. Keep Jimmy G and draft a qb in the 1st round.
4. Keep Jimmy and draft an OL or CB in the 1st.

Any scenario out there you'd get pissed about or are you generally just really happy?

Threw this trade to a buddy and he said hell no....

Trade for Watson:
Jimmy G
Fred Warner
2021, 2022, 2023 1st rounders

He said only:
Jimmy G
Fred Warner
2021 1st rounder
2022 2nd rounder

What say y'all? What would you give... only players I refuse to trade is Kittle and Bosa, prefer not to let go of Warner but LB isn't as hard to replace as QB/Edge
Originally posted by irishluder:

Trade for Watson:
Jimmy G
Fred Warner

He said only:
Jimmy G
Fred Warner
2021 1st rounder
2022 2nd rounder

What say y'all? What would you give... only players I refuse to trade is Kittle and Bosa, prefer not to let go of Warner but LB isn't as hard to replace as QB/Edge

I wouldn't trade Warner at all. He's the leader of our defense. Besides missing his talent we'd also miss his energy and leadership. I'd rather add a 2nd rounder or 2 to sweeten the deal instead of Warner.
Picks and Jimmy or no deal.

No Deebo. No Warner.

Jimmy + 3 1sts + 2021 3rd
I think something like this would be fair value:

Houston gets Jimmy G, 2021 1st (#12), 2022 1st, 2023 1st
49ers get Deshaun Watson, 2021 3rd (#67)
He's worth 3 firsts and some change. Hopefully both sides think it's enough and not too much or too little.

Trade for Watson:
Jimmy G
Fred Warner

He said only:
Jimmy G
Fred Warner
2021 1st rounder
2022 2nd rounder

Warner isn't getting move.
2021 1st/4th, 2022 1st/2nd, 2023 1st/3rd and Jimmy G.

We get Watson and a 2022 3rd.
If we make this trade we'll really need those 3rd picks for Saleh to help offset

Originally posted by NYniner85:

Trade for Watson:
Jimmy G
Fred Warner

He said only:
Jimmy G
Fred Warner
2021 1st rounder
2022 2nd rounder

If losing Warner meant getting Watson who wouldn't do that? Big time business move, it's an offensive league. I approve
Originally posted by ChuckLeavy32:
Originally posted by NYniner85:

Trade for Watson:
Jimmy G
Fred Warner

He said only:
Jimmy G
Fred Warner
2021 1st rounder
2022 2nd rounder

If losing Warner meant getting Watson who wouldn't do that? Big time business move, it's an offensive league. I approve

That business move gets you fired
To win a Super Bowl over 31 other teams, you need to eat your cake and have it too. Yes you need a quarterback, but you need a team too. The way to do that is to grow your own quarterback. Then you get several years cheap, only one draft pick or perhaps also some lower ones to move up, and you keep your team. Trading for a top quarterback in his prime costs a fortune in compensation and cap space too, and imo, that's no way to become a balanced team better than every other team.

Our most valuable asset is Kyle Shanahan. He can train them, and he can attract them. If a top veteran wants to come here, let them play out their contract, and then at least we can keep lower priced talent coming in with our draft capital. That, or perhaps even more likely, pull a Steve Young and get somebody for reasonable compensation that has not achieved their potential under bad management.

I say no to Watson, and give John and Kyle a chance to work the problem. The choice isn't Watson or we do nothing.
Originally posted by BOI49er:
To win a Super Bowl over 31 other teams, you need to eat your cake and have it too. Yes you need a quarterback, but you need a team too. The way to do that is to grow your own quarterback. Then you get several years cheap, only one draft pick or perhaps also some lower ones to move up, and you keep your team. Trading for a top quarterback in his prime costs a fortune in compensation and cap space too, and imo, that's no way to become a balanced team better than every other team.

Our most valuable asset is Kyle Shanahan. He can train them, and he can attract them. If a top veteran wants to come here, let them play out their contract, and then at least we can keep lower priced talent coming in with our draft capital. That, or perhaps even more likely, pull a Steve Young and get somebody for reasonable compensation that has not achieved their potential under bad management.

I say no to Watson, and give John and Kyle a chance to work the problem. The choice isn't Watson or we do nothing.

In the meantime, we will lose some of our better players due to age and contracts. Top tier linebackers, defensive ends, offensive linemen and receivers aren't cheap either. How long would you give Shanny and Lynch to grow their own quarterback? Are you willing to gamble on a "sure thing" in the draft instead of acquiring a young, not quite in his prime Watson?

Let's make no mistakes.. Watson is one of the best in the league, and hes done it with an atrocious offensive line and zero talent for his skill positions. Jimmy, a couple first rounders and maybe something else to have him surrounded by Mostert, Kittle, Aiyuk and Deebo seems worth it to me.
Originally posted by DaBeegDeek:
Originally posted by BOI49er:

In the meantime, we will lose some of our better players due to age and contracts. Top tier linebackers, defensive ends, offensive linemen and receivers aren't cheap either. How long would you give Shanny and Lynch to grow their own quarterback? Are you willing to gamble on a "sure thing" in the draft instead of acquiring a young, not quite in his prime Watson?

Let's make no mistakes.. Watson is one of the best in the league, and hes done it with an atrocious offensive line and zero talent for his skill positions. Jimmy, a couple first rounders and maybe something else to have him surrounded by Mostert, Kittle, Aiyuk and Deebo seems worth it to me.

I haven't seen we could get him for only 2 firsts plus Jimmy and something of lesser value. Don't forget his $39m/year is going to cost us talent too. OK if we are dickering over price, I'll go Jimmy and our first and second this year, and lets see how much of a nuisance he can make himself in Texas.
Share 49ersWebzone