LISTEN: 49ers Play It Smart On Day Two Of The Draft →

There are 205 users in the forums

Chad Kelly, QB, Ole Miss

I see some Derek Carr in Chad Kelly's game. if he wasn't acting a fool or injured I could see him being selected early second or late first... as things stand now tho I couldn't see him bein takin before round 5. I still hope it's us that takes him in the 5th
Originally posted by 49ERFANb4Uwas:
this guy is a beast!!

He made a lot of really impressive throws in that game. I think he'll go in the 3rd-4th round similar to Connor Cook. He's more talented than Cook, but has a lot of off-field issues (instead of concerns about leadership and teammates not liking him).
Someone explain to me why this guy doesn't have equivalent talent as a passer as the top QBs in this draft.

I get that he's a nucklehead and needs to mature but I love the idea of taking a late round flier on him and redshirt him for a year to get his head and knee on straight. I want a cocky QB with attitude on this team.

The top QB prospects aren't good enough to justify a top pick this year and Cousins isn't worth the cap space. Get an inexpensive vet stopgap like Hoyer. Get an NT in FA. Draft WR, OLB, ILB in some order rounds 1-3 (trade back if possible). Take a shot at Kelly in the 6-7 rd range.

If it doesn't work out draft the QB of the future in 2018.
Originally posted by CornellU49er:
Someone explain to me why this guy doesn't have equivalent talent as a passer as the top QBs in this draft.

I get that he's a nucklehead and needs to mature but I love the idea of taking a late round flier on him and redshirt him for a year to get his head and knee on straight. I want a cocky QB with attitude on this team.

The top QB prospects aren't good enough to justify a top pick this year and Cousins isn't worth the cap space. Get an inexpensive vet stopgap like Hoyer. Get an NT in FA. Draft WR, OLB, ILB in some order rounds 1-3 (trade back if possible). Take a shot at Kelly in the 6-7 rd range.

Talent means nothing if you're a complete knucklehead. There is no position where maturity matters more than QB. With all his character issues and now the injury, Kelly is a flyer guy, you take him with a late round pick at best and hope that he gets it together, if not you send him packing. He shouldn't be your first or second option to fill your need at quarterback.
  • Jcool
  • Veteran
As far as talent goes, I graded him as a late 5th/6th round prospect. I'd be surprised if he went undrafted. I think someone will give him a chance. If he ends up a an UDFA, I'd imagine high demand for him.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:

Talent means nothing if you're a complete knucklehead. There is no position where maturity matters more than QB. With all his character issues and now the injury, Kelly is a flyer guy, you take him with a late round pick at best and hope that he gets it together, if not you send him packing. He shouldn't be your first or second option to fill your need at quarterback.

Cornell, i am with PHX, sort of, on this one. Look, we already had our education with Aldon, my favorite player his first two yrs here. But we learned , the hard way, and we gave him a chance to change. Between DUIs, guns, airport talk of "bombs", fights, more drinking....it just doesn't work out. Call it knucklehead, or whatever, but NO. We have had our turn in the "barrel"...and it was no fun. It tore the team up...we never knew if Aldon was in or out of jail, banned for 4 games, 8 games, or a season....there was no way to plan on anything having to do with him. I was sick of all this because he was such a DOMINANT player, and at the position of greatest need. But in the end, we would have been way better off if we never had anything to do with Aldon.

And Kelly has the history that we are only too familiar with. So regardless of how good he is (and i like his talent), we just cannot afford another Aldon. It was a team wrecker. It was the start of our downward descent which ended this past season as a disaster, 2 Ws. No thanks on Kelly, even if he is gift wrapped and given to us.
Originally posted by pasodoc9er:

Cornell, i am with PHX, sort of, on this one. Look, we already had our education with Aldon, my favorite player his first two yrs here. But we learned , the hard way, and we gave him a chance to change. Between DUIs, guns, airport talk of "bombs", fights, more drinking....it just doesn't work out. Call it knucklehead, or whatever, but NO. We have had our turn in the "barrel"...and it was no fun. It tore the team up...we never knew if Aldon was in or out of jail, banned for 4 games, 8 games, or a season....there was no way to plan on anything having to do with him. I was sick of all this because he was such a DOMINANT player, and at the position of greatest need. But in the end, we would have been way better off if we never had anything to do with Aldon.

And Kelly has the history that we are only too familiar with. So regardless of how good he is (and i like his talent), we just cannot afford another Aldon. It was a team wrecker. It was the start of our downward descent which ended this past season as a disaster, 2 Ws. No thanks on Kelly, even if he is gift wrapped and given to us.

It's crazy that Aldon didn't have any red flags coming into the draft but he was an idiot after his second year in the league. But Bowman dropped due to character issues and he hasn't had any issues and is probably the leader of the team next to Staley.
Originally posted by pasodoc9er:

This
  • lazy
  • Veteran
Appearing on ESPN Radio, Bill Polian said Ole Miss' Chad Kelly is likely "the most talented QB in the draft."

"But he has a ton of baggage, so that is another issue," Polian said. The former Colts GM was the person to report Kelly's initial invitation to the NFL Combine being pulled due to a new rule implemented by the event. We aren't sure how Chad Kelly is the most talented passer. Sure, he displays great moments, even against Alabama, but he is the definition of a high variance player. Kelly will be a third day pick, at best.
http://www.rotoworld.com/headlines/cfb/64965/NFL-coach-says-weight-will-be-Garcia's-issue

• Andra
  • Veteran
I was just watching chad Kelly vs. Florida state. Couldn't help but notice Demarcus Walker from Florida state. Dude is a beast and a high character guy. I know he is a 4-3 DE and probably doesn't fit the Niners scheme but I think he could a good player in the NFL.
Originally posted by lazy:
Appearing on ESPN Radio, Bill Polian said Ole Miss' Chad Kelly is likely "the most talented QB in the draft."

"But he has a ton of baggage, so that is another issue," Polian said. The former Colts GM was the person to report Kelly's initial invitation to the NFL Combine being pulled due to a new rule implemented by the event. We aren't sure how Chad Kelly is the most talented passer. Sure, he displays great moments, even against Alabama, but he is the definition of a high variance player. Kelly will be a third day pick, at best.
http://www.rotoworld.com/headlines/cfb/64965/NFL-coach-says-weight-will-be-Garcia's-issue

I know statistically, Pollian drafted pretty well. But some of the s**t he says now days is crazy, lol
Originally posted by lazy:

Polian was the GM in Buffalo for many years with Jim Kelly playing QB so this sounds like home cooking going on.
Kelly continued to fight with two bouncers and stated, "I'm going to go to my car and get my AK-47 and spray this place," according to a report

Unless this guy has received psychological treatmemt and passed I don't want him. That's not excusable no matter what you're on, I'll pass and I'm assuming he'll go undrafted.
[ Edited by Quest4six on Feb 17, 2017 at 9:45 AM ]
Kyle needs to take a chance on him if he last 5th or 6th round. He's the talent
Share 49ersWebzone