There are 204 users in the forums

OTC's 49ers Draft Grade and Analysis

Originally posted by thl408:
I have no idea how they rated punters and how Pinion got rated #11. I suppose hangtime was not weighted as much as distance? I agree that taking a punter in the 5th means he better win the job over the current punter on the roster.

Good point NC about how AA is 'raw', but he did play in a similar role in college, so there may less of a learning curve. He may just be a part of the DL rotation this season.

Scouts Inc had him as the 4th ranked punter in the draft which is far more realistic, and yes he does need to be able to win over the punting job.

I would also expect Armstead to be part of the DL rotation this year, especially coming from a 3-4 system.
2. Jaquiski Tartt, S, Samford

I graded Tartt as an early third rounder. Small school status bumped him down a little, but he competed well at the Senior Bowl and depending on how quick he adjusts, he can contribute in year one. He is one of the better safeties in a weak class and provides insurance if Reid gets hurt again. Slightly higher than I thought he'd go, but not exactly a reach when there was a chance another team probably would've taken him if we tried to trade back. Still, several players available here at WR I would've taken instead and then got a safety later. GRADE: B+

For the most part, I agree with OTC's comments on all of the picks here. However, if we delve a bit deeper, we can see that Tartt was a true need pick. When one looks at the Niners' safeties, it is clear that they really needed to upgrade that position, even more than at WR.

At wide-out, they have Boldin, A. Smith, Simpson, Patton, and Ellington as well as Jacobs and Smelter. Pretty full plate actually.

At safety however, they have 2 young high round picks (Reid and Ward) that have real injury concerns. Reid may be one more concussion away from retirement and Ward's foot has been operated on twice already. Plus, the guy starting at SS now will be 31 years old this year. Finally, need I remind you all that Craig Dahl is still on the roster.

I love the Tartt pick for all of the reasons above. He may have been taken a few picks too soon but to me, this is a mute point because to trade, a team needs to have a trade partner and if you don't have one, you have to go to the floor alone (bad analogy?....).

One more thing....it seems clear now that Baalke loves guys that love the game...and have long arms. Seems like all of the picks (outside of Armstead possibly and if he turns out, he really fills a need) have these qualities. Even the punter has long arms...

Cheers!
Awesome stuff OTC, I'm starting to like the Tartt pick a bit more than I did. I still would have liked a WR or ILB instead, but I'm ok with it now.
Originally posted by nw9erfan:
2. Jaquiski Tartt, S, Samford

I graded Tartt as an early third rounder. Small school status bumped him down a little, but he competed well at the Senior Bowl and depending on how quick he adjusts, he can contribute in year one. He is one of the better safeties in a weak class and provides insurance if Reid gets hurt again. Slightly higher than I thought he'd go, but not exactly a reach when there was a chance another team probably would've taken him if we tried to trade back. Still, several players available here at WR I would've taken instead and then got a safety later. GRADE: B+

For the most part, I agree with OTC's comments on all of the picks here. However, if we delve a bit deeper, we can see that Tartt was a true need pick. When one looks at the Niners' safeties, it is clear that they really needed to upgrade that position, even more than at WR.

At wide-out, they have Boldin, A. Smith, Simpson, Patton, and Ellington as well as Jacobs and Smelter. Pretty full plate actually.

At safety however, they have 2 young high round picks (Reid and Ward) that have real injury concerns. Reid may be one more concussion away from retirement and Ward's foot has been operated on twice already. Plus, the guy starting at SS now will be 31 years old this year. Finally, need I remind you all that Craig Dahl is still on the roster.

I love the Tartt pick for all of the reasons above. He may have been taken a few picks too soon but to me, this is a mute point because to trade, a team needs to have a trade partner and if you don't have one, you have to go to the floor alone (bad analogy?....).

One more thing....it seems clear now that Baalke loves guys that love the game...and have long arms. Seems like all of the picks (outside of Armstead possibly and if he turns out, he really fills a need) have these qualities. Even the punter has long arms...

Cheers!

If Jerome Simpson stays out of trouble, and doesn't get suspended, not sure of complete history, and he competes well, we may be good for 2015.
Originally posted by AB81Rules:
Awesome stuff OTC, I'm starting to like the Tartt pick a bit more than I did. I still would have liked a WR or ILB instead, but I'm ok with it now.

Thank you, AB. Totally feel the same. It was hard to watch the team pass up Perryman, Lockett, and Strong, even though I understand the reasoning behind the Tartt pick. I can't wait to see these guys compete in TC and in the pre-season. It's going to be absolutely ferocious at every single position when it comes to earning a role.
[ Edited by OnTheClock on May 6, 2015 at 7:24 AM ]
Originally posted by OnTheClock:

Thank you, AB. Totally feel the same. It was hard to watch the team pass up Perryman, Lockett, and Strong, even though I understand the reasoning behind the Tartt pick. I can't wait to see these guys compete in TC and in the pre-season. It's going to be absolutely ferocious at every single position when it comes to earning a role.

And that's all we can ask for. Those battles along the DL, DB, OL, backup roles, etc. are going to be stronger than they've ever been.
Solid write up

This thread was a breath of fresh air on this forum, I'm tired of seeing people rip on this draft before TC even starts.
Baalke did with this draft what he has been doing all along with this team, set us up for the future.
I cannot stand when posters expect that our rookies (rounds 1-5) are to be drafted to make an immediate impact on this team. Your average FA at that position generally is a better fit than a rookie taken at any round (there are exceptions, but they are rare).

Planning for the future is the best way to develop your draft picks, and I think Baalkes drafts thrive on that idea. Ex- Thomas drafted for Iupatis departure, Carradine before J. Smith, Hyde before Gore, Johnson-Acker-Reaser before Cox/Cully

And now we drafted guys to help offset the future losses of Dockett (Armstead), Bethea (Tartt), Boldin (Smelter), Davis (Bell)

There's definately a trend here, and it's what keeps this team loaded with talent.
People don't need to look any further for what can happen to a team when you start spending high round draft picks on areas of immediate need (across the bay)
Not only does it increase their chance of becoming a bust, it doesn't allow them enough time to develop.

I'm loving this draft
Trade to Tarrt pick for WR Jalen Strong and I'd give this draft a B- but as it stands now I gave it a D+ i hated the Tarrt pick but I hope Tarrt shuts me the Hell up.
  • 9moon
  • Veteran
C+

... sorry guys, but I really see this class as a bunch of good personality players who has lots to prove before makin the team.. Aside Tartt (I expect to see him starting by week 5), these guys are backups in my opinions.. they are ready to compete, but not ready to take someone's job anytime soon..

the talent is there, even the attitude, but all are very very very.. RAW!!!
Originally posted by NCommand:

And that's all we can ask for. Those battles along the DL, DB, OL, backup roles, etc. are going to be stronger than they've ever been.

And the hungrier, best performing player at the end of the day will be on the final 53. You want it this way. No one should be handed a job, and no one should expect to have a spot handed to them. If you're not coming in ready to compete then you don't belong here.

For those that don't make the cut, if they're lucky and proved worthy enough, they'll either land with another team or on our PS. I hope we retain as much talent as possible in the system.

Originally posted by Quest4six:
Solid write up

This thread was a breath of fresh air on this forum, I'm tired of seeing people rip on this draft before TC even starts.
Baalke did with this draft what he has been doing all along with this team, set us up for the future.
I cannot stand when posters expect that our rookies (rounds 1-5) are to be drafted to make an immediate impact on this team. Your average FA at that position generally is a better fit than a rookie taken at any round (there are exceptions, but they are rare).

Planning for the future is the best way to develop your draft picks, and I think Baalkes drafts thrive on that idea. Ex- Thomas drafted for Iupatis departure, Carradine before J. Smith, Hyde before Gore, Johnson-Acker-Reaser before Cox/Cully

And now we drafted guys to help offset the future losses of Dockett (Armstead), Bethea (Tartt), Boldin (Smelter), Davis (Bell)

There's definately a trend here, and it's what keeps this team loaded with talent.
People don't need to look any further for what can happen to a team when you start spending high round draft picks on areas of immediate need (across the bay)
Not only does it increase their chance of becoming a bust, it doesn't allow them enough time to develop.

I'm loving this draft

I like that we planned ahead, and quite frankly I really liked the entire first half of the draft. The 5th on was iffy, but assuming the first half does well enough to make the team, if we somehow land a couple contributors from that "second half" prospect group, in the end I can admit that would make the draft look quite nice.
[ Edited by OnTheClock on May 6, 2015 at 12:29 PM ]
Originally posted by NCommand:

And the hungrier, best performing player at the end of the day will be on the final 53. You want it this way. No one should be handed a job, and no one should expect to have a spot handed to them. If you're not coming in ready to compete then you don't belong here.

For those that don't make the cut, if they're lucky and proved worthy enough, they'll either land with another team or on our PS. I hope we retain as much talent as possible in the system.

Me too man. Our average age of players was 26 coming into the draft. Must be 25ish now. This team is younger than we realize but WITH experience thanks to all those injuries over the years.

I honestly won't even touch the 53 roster threads. Too depressing. We're going to have to cut some great ones...again!
I like that we planned ahead, and quite frankly I really liked the entire first half of the draft. The 5th on was iffy, but assuming the first half does well enough to make the team, if we somehow land a couple contributors from that "second half" prospect group, in the end I can admit that would make the draft look quite nice.

My draft philosophy is simple. If a player you drafted plays as well as you expected him to play after you scouted him he should make the team barring some surprise UDFA being even better and taking his spot. The player shouldn't have to "surprise" you to make the team. You should project him making the team if he doesn't bust out and plays as well as you thought he would.

If you are not sure about a player draft someone else or try and trade the pick for a future pick. At this point it doesn't look good for our picks in rounds 5-7.

Our picks in rd 4 are solid.

Rounds 2-3 were solid picks. We may have gone another way but hopefully they will be really good players.

Armstead is a huge key to this draft. If he turns out to be a stud and a stalwart in the defensive line for a decade it will be a great pick. My thought were we should have traded back 4-5 slots and picked up a 3rd rounder and taken him then. If he was gone we could go another direction. We might have traded back to the early 2nd round and picked up a 2nd rounder and an early 3rd rounder. Leaving us with an early 2nd, late 2nd and early 3rd rd pick instead of the 17th pick. We then could use those 3 picks to take DGB, Carl Davis and Clive Walford or replace DGB with ILB Kendricks. Or Replace Walford with Henry Anderson. At this point I would rather have a combo of those 3 players than armstead. I hope he proves me wrong and the coaches right for thinking he was worthy of the 17th pick. This will be a big determining factor on making this draft a good one.

And of course our 5th rd pick WTF? Unless Baalke knew something we don't it doesn't appear this guy gets drafted at all or is even sought after as a UDFA. We probably could have traded back all the way to the end of rd 7 and still gotten him or saved the pick and signed him as a UDFA without competition. I don't think any other punters were drafted and he wasn't rated as a top ten at his position so why would you gamble a 5th rounder on him? This one is a real head scratcher so unless he comes in and blows Lee away and wins the job it looks like a total gaffe on the GM's part.
For perspective (grades all over the map):

Arizona Cardinals – 7 Draft Picks
1. D.J. Humphries, OT, Florida (24)
2. Markus Golden, DE/OLB, Missouri (58)
3. David Johnson, RB, Northern Iowa (86)
4. Rodney Gunter, DE, Delaware State (116)
5. Shaquille Riddick, OLB, West Virginia (158)
5. J.J. Nelson, WR, UAB (159)
7. Gerald Christian, TE, Louisville (256)
CBS Sports Grade: B
ESPN Grade: C
NFL.com Grade: A
Rotoworld Grade: D
SB Nation Grade: B-
Sports Illustrated Grade: B
Yahoo Sports Grade: C

Notes: Most draft analysts had Humphries ranked as a top-three tackle in the draft, and he will likely be starting Week 1 ... Golden went earlier than expected but will provide depth to the Cardinals pass rush at outside linebacker … With running back Andre Ellington struggling to stay healthy, Johnson might be Arizona's answer for a stable, workhorse back, something they haven't had since Edgerrin James … J.J. Nelson's 40-yard dash time of 4.29 seconds was the fastest at the 2015 NFL Scouting Combine.

Seattle Seahawks – 8 Draft Picks
2. Frank Clark, DE, Michigan (63)
3. Tyler Lockett, WR, Kansas State (69)
4. Terry Poole, OT, San Diego State (130)
4. Mark Glowinski, G, West Virginia (134)
5. Tye Smith, CB, Towson (170)
6. Obum Gwacham, OLB, Oregon State (209)
6. Kristjan Sokoli, DT, Buffalo (214)
7. Ryan Murphy, S, Oregon State (248)

CBS Sports Grade: B-
ESPN Grade: A-
NFL.com Grade: C-
Rotoworld Grade: B-
SB Nation Grade: C
Sports Illustrated Grade: B-
Yahoo Sports Grade: D

Notes: It's very clear what grades slotted tight end Jimmy Graham as the Seahawks first-round pick … Clark comes to Seattle with plenty of talent as a pass-rusher but also plenty of baggage amidst domestic violence allegations … ESPN's Mel Kiper said Lockett was one of his favorite picks of the draft. Lockett's 1,515 receiving yards (he also caught 11 touchdowns) in 2014 ranked third in college football … Poole and Glowinski are both likely to compete for starting jobs in Week 1.

St. Louis Rams – 9 Draft Picks
1. Todd Gurley, RB, Georgia (10)
2. Rob Havenstein, OT, Wisconsin (57)
3. Jamon Brown, OT/G, Louisville (72)
3. Sean Mannion, QB, Oregon State (89)
4. Andrew Donnal, OT, Iowa (119)
6. Bud Sasser, WR, Missouri (201)
6. Cody Wichmann, G, Fresno State (215)
7. Bryce Hager, ILB, Baylor (224)
7. Martin Ifedi, DE, Memphis (227)

CBS Sports Grade: B
ESPN Grade: C
NFL.com Grade: C
Rotoworld Grade: C
SB Nation Grade: C
Sports Illustrated Grade: A
Yahoo Sports Grade: B

Notes: Gurley's knee is said to be progressing better than expected, well enough to make the Rams feel comfortable spending a top-10 pick on the talented running back. Many analysts have called Gurley a once-in-a-decade 'back. The 49ers have the fortune (or misfortune) of seeing him twice a year now … Havenstein is a solid right tackle and is already slated to start opposite 2014 first-round pick Greg Robinson … Mannion was one of the draft's surprises, being taken as the third quarterback after Jameis Winston and Marcus Mariota. He'll have a spot on the roster and could see playing time as a rookie should expected starter Nick Foles go down with an injury as he did in 2014.

http://www.49ers.com/news/article-2/NFC-West-Report-Draft-Grades-Around-the-Division/970204bb-3392-49dc-8234-accd673db024
[ Edited by NCommand on May 6, 2015 at 7:55 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone