LISTEN: 49ers Play It Smart On Day Two Of The Draft →

There are 247 users in the forums

- 2 -

• DeUh
  • Veteran
Originally posted by NCommand:
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:
Originally posted by NCommand:
Plus cutting Dorsey saves $1.45M or Williams $1.16M.

Don't think cutting Dorsey or Ian would be a good move.

Especially since Justin is still undecided.

Also keeping blockers off our ILB has gained even more importance since we are now significantly weaker there.

True but I doubt Baalke would keep 3 NT's.

In one of his last interviews as a Niner Fangio said that Dorsey could be in the mix to replace Smith (if he retires).

I like Goldman at NT but he is versatile and can also play 3-tech (even played 5-tech at Florida State)
[ Edited by DeUh on Mar 20, 2015 at 1:42 PM ]
  • DeUh
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 49ers808:
DL and RB is not as much of a need as ILB and CB for me. I'd address that and even WR before anything else, this is a nice draft though.

Thanks.

It looks like Baalke is confident in Johnsons + Wards development and Brock is healthy.

We also gave Cook a bump in his salary, paid Wright and basically have two rookies in Acker and Reaser + McFadden who looked good in limited amount of time.

Projected TC Depth Chart Mar 21, 2015

LCB T.Brock / C.Cook / Rookie(T.Smith) / M.Cromartie
RCB D.Johnson / S.Wright / K.Acker / C.Fuller
SCB J.Ward / L.McFadden / K.Reaser
[ Edited by DeUh on Mar 21, 2015 at 12:10 PM ]
  • DeUh
  • Veteran

Like Hunter - do you see him adding 10-15 lbs and moving to DE??

I expect Hunter to play either 4-3 DE or 3-4 OLB.

He has experience moving inside in pass rushing situations but is much more effective on the outside.
  • DeUh
  • Veteran
Originally posted by bors:
intresting lb selection, like that it is a late rounder. good height . do you think he is strong enough to play in nfl . or is just waiting to get trucked.
i want to see one of our boys just lay out lynch and other rb

Yes I think he is strong enough for the NFL and with top level coaching has future starter potential. He played at 237-240 lbs in his highlight video. He is now at 245 lbs..
In the 2nd rd, the change I'd make is to take ILB Stephone Anthony...Baalke really likes him, so I think he'll do whatever it takes to get him. He wants the best player at that position and I believe he thinks it's Anthony. Love the rest of the first 5 picks...like you I feel in my gut Baalke will take the best "big" on the board, and that's whether Justin Smith retires or not.
Would u take Goldman at 15 if no trade down?
  • DeUh
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Big_Daddy:
Would u take Goldman at 15 if no trade down?

Yes.

Ideally I would try to trade down to get as much talent on the roster as possible but if the FO thinks it´s too risky I would have no problem with Goldman at 15.

To me DL is still our Nr. 1 need and he is one of the safest picks this year.
Goldman is my draft crush this year. We could probably trade down and still get him.

Like Hunter - do you see him adding 10-15 lbs and moving to DE??

LOVE the Duke! IMO, there is zero confidence Hunter can return and play a full season w/out being injured. Love his game but he's one injury away from being finished.

Thanks!
If you are talking about Danielle Hunter: forget it. in order to play at 5tech-DE, he would need about 290-95 pounds at the very least, thus he has to add over 40 pounds!!!!
  • DeUh
  • Veteran
Originally posted by communist:
in order to play at 5tech-DE, he would need about 290-95 pounds at the very least

Yes.

Like I posted above he is a 4-3 DE or 3-4 OLB.
  • DeUh
  • Veteran
Originally posted by NYniner85:

I'd like a big bruiser at RB because of the Bush signing. If Hyde goes down we need depth, Duke IMO seems more like a COP back and we already have that in Bush/Hyde.

Actually, despite his size, I don´t view K.Hunter as a COP back. I feel like he is a complete back (on condition that he is healthy).

- Can run power
- Can run zone
- Can run between the tackles
- Can get on the edges
- Can pass protect
- Can catch the football out of the backfield

He´s got a very good combination of vision, strength, quickness, burst, finishes his runs and is highly competitive.
[ Edited by DeUh on Mar 21, 2015 at 7:27 AM ]

• crew
  • Veteran
Not bad

I'm still on the BPA at 15 bandwagon, but if we did trade down I'd be happy with Goldman. Hunter is right up Baalke's alley, but were does he play? He would have to bulk-up at 250 to be OLB (Lynch, Smith, Brooks are all around 270) and when would he ever see the field? I guess it depends on if they keep Brooks.

I'd like a big bruiser at RB because of the Bush signing. If Hyde goes down we need depth, Duke IMO seems more like a COP back and we already have that in Bush/Hyde.

Ali Marpet it's a cool story, but we already have a OG/C in Martin and Looney.

Do we need to draft two ILBs? I do like were you picked them. Wilson is intriguing and I think they won't draft a LB before the 3rd.

Don't feel Hunter is Baalke's choice in Rd2, Preston Smith or Mario Edwards makes more sense in that round. Bud Dupree in the 1st Rd is more of a Baalke player than Hunter
  • DeUh
  • Veteran
Originally posted by crew:
Bud Dupree in the 1st Rd is more of a Baalke player than Hunter

?

Hunter is younger, has longer arms and has better value.

Hunter -> 20 years old / Arm Lnegth 34 1/4 / 2nd round
Dupree -> 22 years old / Arm Length 32 5/8 / 1st round
Originally posted by DeUh:

Actually, despite his size, I don´t view K.Hunter as a COP back. I feel like he is a complete back (on condition that he is healthy).

- Can run power
- Can run zone
- Can run between the tackles
- Can get on the edges
- Can pass protect
- Can catch the football out of the backfield

He´s got a very good combination of vision, strength, quickness, burst, finishes his runs and is highly competitive.

well I guess we will disagree on that. He has had issues staying healthy just handling his COP duties and if we had to give him 20 touches a game, I think he would be injured in no time. That's one of the most important parts is being able to handle the pounding of being a 3-down back.
?

Hunter is younger, has longer arms and has better value.

Hunter -> 20 years old / Arm Lnegth 34 1/4 / 2nd round
Dupree -> 22 years old / Arm Length 32 5/8 / 1st round

Those aren't the only differences between them. Dupree has 17 pounds on Hunter and was a lot more productive as a pass rusher in college despite the lack of length. Hunter has 4.5 sacks in 26 games the past two seasons. Dupree had 14.5 in 23 games. Dupree also had a 42.5" vertical and 11'6" broad jump. Hunter did not compete in those drills, but I can't imagine him coming anywhere close to those numbers. That's ridiculous explosion for a guy who weighs 269.

I'd take Dupree in the first round over Hunter in the second round. I'm not sure if one is really a better value than the other - I do like Hunter's length, but Dupree put up freakish numbers at the combine and is a better edge rusher right now even if both are very raw. Dupree is the better prospect, but our 15th pick would be about right as far as his value and our 46th pick would be about right for Hunter. Based on MadDog's board, both would be reaches (Dupree is 27, Hunter is 52). Based on CBS, they are decent values (Dupree is 15th, Hunter is 48th).
I expect Hunter to play either 4-3 DE or 3-4 OLB.

He has experience moving inside in pass rushing situations but is much more effective on the outside.

On 3rd downs, I would rush Hunter from the outside and Lynch from the inside.
I know its 3 years ago, but Lynch was causing some problems his freshman year at ND rushing from the inside. He has that ability to make himself small and squeeze through gaps
Share 49ersWebzone