LISTEN: 49ers Play It Smart on Day Two of the Draft →

There are 195 users in the forums

Mariota

Originally posted by Quest4six:
Mariota is a lot more decisive when throwing the ball.
Kap squeezes lots of throws and is able to hit guys in a small window.
Mariota reads what the defense gives him and is able to adjust alot better than Kap. Personally I think Mariota is the real deal, but I think hes more like Wilson than Kap/

Mariota doesn't have good arm strength, his passes hang in the air kind of like a duck. Pull up a tape of Winston & you will see an example of NFL caliber arm talent, I figure Mariota will drop to the 20's at least possibly into the 2nd. That's not saying I don't think Mariota will be successful, he still has amazing vision, mobility he's electric, composed, a fine field general. However the NFL is played at a much higher speed than college, the pass rushers he will face will be just as athletic as he is & those passes that hang in the air even just an extra tick will be intercepted frequently.

If you watch Russell Wilson you'll notice he has no problems throwing the ball down the field he's got a rocket arm for being under 6'0, Mariota just doesn't have that at 6'4 & that's not something you can teach.
I don't think he'd fall that low....if he did, I'd be so tempted to want the 49ers to take him as insurance against Kap. Let him learn for a year on the bench. But as a Duck fan, I've seen games where he was limited to the pocket due to injury, and faced some tougher NFL style defenses, and didn't look nearly as good in those situations. Look at how he floundered in the national championship game. His team benefited from +4 turnovers and they couldn't get into the endzone.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by GMniner805:
Mariota reads what the defense gives him and is able to adjust alot better than Kap. Personally I think Mariota is the real deal, but I think hes more like Wilson than Kap/

Mariota doesn't have good arm strength, his passes hang in the air kind of like a duck. Pull up a tape of Winston & you will see an example of NFL caliber arm talent, I figure Mariota will drop to the 20's at least possibly into the 2nd. That's not saying I don't think Mariota will be successful, he still has amazing vision, mobility he's electric, composed, a fine field general. However the NFL is played at a much higher speed than college, the pass rushers he will face will be just as athletic as he is & those passes that hang in the air even just an extra tick will be intercepted frequently.

If you watch Russell Wilson you'll notice he has no problems throwing the ball down the field he's got a rocket arm for being under 6'0, Mariota just doesn't have that at 6'4 & that's not something you can teach.

Mariota's arm strength is at the NFL level, I believe from watching him and a number of scouting reports say he has above average arm strength. His problem is throwing to the deep middle of the field, which he's hardly done. Some people wanna compare him to Russell Wilson or Aaron Rodgers, but IMO I don't see any of that, I think he scrambles a bit like Kaepernick and has the mechanics of Andy Dalton or even the arm strength of Andy Dalton. Russell Wilson scrambles more like he's a running back, low center of gravity, where as Mariota scrambles more upright being elusive using his long strides. As for arm strength, I'd rather have a QB who is accurate and throws a nice touch pass rather than a laser rocket arm who can't throw a screen pass to save his life. And why I believe Mariota has an NFL arm, well if you go back and watch his games he throws a beautiful deep sideline pass, a good game for reference would be the Rose Bowl vs. Florida St.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by Trath44:
I don't think he'd fall that low....if he did, I'd be so tempted to want the 49ers to take him as insurance against Kap. Let him learn for a year on the bench. But as a Duck fan, I've seen games where he was limited to the pocket due to injury, and faced some tougher NFL style defenses, and didn't look nearly as good in those situations. Look at how he floundered in the national championship game. His team benefited from +4 turnovers and they couldn't get into the endzone.

Oh you mean the one where his defense looked like they couldn't stop the run in a pee wee football game and his receivers suddenly developed a case of stone hands??
Originally posted by Kolohe:
Originally posted by GMniner805:

Mariota's arm strength is at the NFL level, I believe from watching him and a number of scouting reports say he has above average arm strength. His problem is throwing to the deep middle of the field, which he's hardly done. Some people wanna compare him to Russell Wilson or Aaron Rodgers, but IMO I don't see any of that, I think he scrambles a bit like Kaepernick and has the mechanics of Andy Dalton or even the arm strength of Andy Dalton. Russell Wilson scrambles more like he's a running back, low center of gravity, where as Mariota scrambles more upright being elusive using his long strides. As for arm strength, I'd rather have a QB who is accurate and throws a nice touch pass rather than a laser rocket arm who can't throw a screen pass to save his life. And why I believe Mariota has an NFL arm, well if you go back and watch his games he throws a beautiful deep sideline pass, a good game for reference would be the Rose Bowl vs. Florida St.

I would say that Mariota doesn't have that cannon of an arm, but that doesn't mean he can't develop it. If he's able to sit for a year or two, he could completely reinvent himself. Arm strength can be thought/developed. Look at Brees from San Diego to NO or Brady at UM to Super Bowl Brady or Rogers coming out of Cal to the beast incarnate we see now. If you want it bad enough it happens. Arm strength is a function of talent/natural gifts, throwing motion, and mechanics.

I would go so far as to say I would like our very own Kap to sacrifice a little arm strength in order to get rid of the ball quicker. I can only hope he comes back from Arizona with his motion and mechanics tweaked.
Mariota's arm strength is not a problem. And he throws the short ball with more touch than Kaepernick, who just rifles everything. He makes incredible throws on the move like Kap.
Aint nothing on Kap level in this draft
Originally posted by Trath44:

Oh you mean the one where his defense looked like they couldn't stop the run in a pee wee football game and his receivers suddenly developed a case of stone hands??

This.^
Blame Mariota for not being able to stop Ohio's offense running all over their defense, and he was supposed to throw the ball downfield, and then run the route and catch it himself too.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by Pillbusta:
Aint nothing on Kap level in this draft

NFL Kap or College Kap??
  • buck
  • Veteran
Many of the pundits have him dropping.

I still think he goes in the top 5, but then I am almost never right when it come to the draft---or life for that matter.

NFL Kap or College Kap??

I'm all about NFL. When we count back in time to all the countless QBs drafted we will find but a handful to go 4-2 playoffs 3-1 road. Luck ain't in this draft. Someone will draft these guys early then will be lucky to get 1 playoff win over the next five years. Mariotta ain't coming in winning the job over Kap.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
NFL Kap or College Kap??

I'm all about NFL. When we count back in time to all the countless QBs drafted we will find but a handful to go 4-2 playoffs 3-1 road. Luck ain't in this draft. Someone will draft these guys early then will be lucky to get 1 playoff win over the next five years. Mariotta ain't coming in winning the job over Kap.

Then yes I agree, no Draft prospect is on Kaepernick's level in the NFL......BUT.....not even college Kaepernick was on his level. If you recall in Kaps first year he looked lost as a passer and no thought at the time that he would turn into one of the most dangerous QB's in the NFL.

Talent wise I'd say Winston and Mariota are better or on par with college Kaepernick, no denying that.
Then yes I agree, no Draft prospect is on Kaepernick's level in the NFL......BUT.....not even college Kaepernick was on his level. If you recall in Kaps first year he looked lost as a passer and no thought at the time that he would turn into one of the most dangerous QB's in the NFL.

Talent wise I'd say Winston and Mariota are better or on par with college Kaepernick, no denying that.
Probably but I remember Kap being an almost frail looking rookie that worked his a$$ off in the weight room and in film study to leapfrog a pretty good QB in Alex Smith then went on to smash fools in the playoffs 4-2 playoff 3-1 road. I'm willing to wager young Winston and Mariotta don't see Kap this level. It will take a lot of work and a good bit of luck to get there. I've seen countless highly drafted rookies that go on and finish their careers without a single playoff win
I won't be surprised if they take him if he is available at 15. Kap is one year passed where he should have started to improve in some areas but hasn't. At some point hope goes out the window and you realize that kap is what he is and start to bring other talent in to possibly get to the next level.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame

Probably but I remember Kap being an almost frail looking rookie that worked his a$$ off in the weight room and in film study to leapfrog a pretty good QB in Alex Smith then went on to smash fools in the playoffs 4-2 playoff 3-1 road. I'm willing to wager young Winston and Mariotta don't see Kap this level. It will take a lot of work and a good bit of luck to get there. I've seen countless highly drafted rookies that go on and finish their careers without a single playoff win

It all depends if Mariota and Winston get a team like the 2004 49ers or the 2011 49ers. Look at the 2011 Indy Colts they're a good example, all they needed was pretty much a decent QB to man the offense and they go 11-5 in 2012.
Share 49ersWebzone