There are 287 users in the forums

Melvin Gordon - RB - Wisconsin

Originally posted by Preacherpj:
Originally posted by AsianJeff:
Gurley over Gordon, IMO.

Only one common opponent between the two this year -- Auburn.

Gurley - 29 carries / 138 yards / 4.8 YPC / 1 TD / 1 Rec / 4 Rec Yds
Gordon - 34 carries / 251 yards / 7.4 YPC / 3 TDs / 2 Rec / 2 Rec Yds

Gurley had a good game against Auburn, Gordon decimated them.

And Wisconsin had zero passing game this year, teams loaded up on Gordon as much as any back in the country and still couldn't stop him.

If Gurley hadn't hurt his knee, I'd say its a coin flip between the two depending on what style of running back you are looking for. Coming off a bad knee injury for Gurley, I'll take Gordon all day long. You just never know how a guy is going to come back from an injury like that, why take the risk when you can get a healthy stud like Gordon?

And with all of that being said, I'd still rather wait in a deep RB draft, and grab an impact WR at #15. But if the choice is Gordon or Gurley - Gordon by a mile.

It's 1a or 1b between the two, IMO. Gurley provides a bit more versatility with his ability to return kicks and i also feel that Gurley is a better pass blocker. The injury does scare me, but thinking positively, with guys like Adrian Peterson and Jamaal Charles making positive comebacks from ACL tears, I hope to see the same with Gurley.
It's 1a or 1b between the two, IMO. Gurley provides a bit more versatility with his ability to return kicks and i also feel that Gurley is a better pass blocker. The injury does scare me, but thinking positively, with guys like Adrian Peterson and Jamaal Charles making positive comebacks from ACL tears, I hope to see the same with Gurley.

Sure he could come back fine -- no doubt. But again, if you think its a coin-flip between the two why wouldn't you take the guy with the clean-bill of health?

McGahee is a great example of a RB coming off a knee-injury drafted highly that worked out great! But there's added risk with any type of injury, especially something in the knee.

I think we have bigger needs than RB at #15 anyway, especially with the RBs in this years class, but if we do go RB @#15 I don't want a guy coming off an ACL.

Sure he could come back fine -- no doubt. But again, if you think its a coin-flip between the two why wouldn't you take the guy with the clean-bill of health?

McGahee is a great example of a RB coming off a knee-injury drafted highly that worked out great! But there's added risk with any type of injury, especially something in the knee.

I think we have bigger needs than RB at #15 anyway, especially with the RBs in this years class, but if we do go RB @#15 I don't want a guy coming off an ACL.

I think one of the big reasons why I like Gurley is that his skillset is just slightly above Gordon. I also feel that Gordon really benefited from running behind a very large and solid o-line. That's not a knock against Gordon by any means, but Gurley's o-line was nowhere as great as Wisconsin's.

I do see your argument about health, though. Gurley's injury isn't something that has happened before and it's nowhere near as gruesome as Lattimore or McGahee's. I just truly feel that his upside as a running back is as close as Adrian Peterson as anyone in this class.

Regarding the 15th pick, I wouldn't be terribly upset if we got Gurley/Gordon. Or even trading down for one of these two. I think our team needs to go BPA.
I think one of the big reasons why I like Gurley is that his skillset is just slightly above Gordon. I also feel that Gordon really benefited from running behind a very large and solid o-line. That's not a knock against Gordon by any means, but Gurley's o-line was nowhere as great as Wisconsin's.

I do see your argument about health, though. Gurley's injury isn't something that has happened before and it's nowhere near as gruesome as Lattimore or McGahee's. I just truly feel that his upside as a running back is as close as Adrian Peterson as anyone in this class.

Regarding the 15th pick, I wouldn't be terribly upset if we got Gurley/Gordon. Or even trading down for one of these two. I think our team needs to go BPA.

This wasn't a great or typical Wisconsin offensive line. Certainly a good group by college football standards, but no high-level NFL prospects.

This wasn't a great or typical Wisconsin offensive line. Certainly a good group by college football standards, but no high-level NFL prospects.

high level NFL prospects: maybe not. but still the largest group in the nation. Wisconsin has always been known to have those big run maulers on the offensive line.
Cards meeting with Melvin Gordon today, thought to be very high on him as a potential target in the 1st round.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Cards meeting with Melvin Gordon today, thought to be very high on him as a potential target in the 1st round.

AZ could have their pick of Gurley or Gordon. Good position for them.

Really, REALLY, hope the niners take Gurley with #15
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:

How could they not? Jeez, when is the last time the Tards had a decent RB? Been a long time...

You know Baalke and his love of injured players. Could happen.
Originally posted by pete98146:

You know Baalke and his love of injured players. Could happen.

Going back to a smash mouth running offense could use a three-headed beast of Gurley/Hyde/Bush

Gurley probably won't even be back this season. I am tired of drafting guys coming off of big time injuries. Gordon all day over Gurley if RB is who we want to go with in the 1st rd.
if Gordon is sitting there when we pick he would be hard to pass.
When are people going to learn RB in the first round is poor value. You can find them later.
[ Edited by SFrush on Mar 16, 2015 at 2:00 PM ]
Originally posted by KingSol:
Gurley probably won't even be back this season. I am tired of drafting guys coming off of big time injuries. Gordon all day over Gurley if RB is who we want to go with in the 1st rd.

Gurley is 6 weeks ahead of schedule. SIX WEEKS. and this is coming from James Andrews. Gurley is already doing squats, lunges, jump ropes, and jogging. only thing he isn't doing yet is running full speed.
Originally posted by SFrush:
When are people going to learn RB in the first round is poor value. You can find them later.

But if you have an opportunity to draft a running back that's got Adrian Peterson-like potential, you'd pass to target the 4th best receiver or a corner that's pretty much got similar value to those available in the 2nd? Running backs like Duke Johnson, Jay Ayaji, Tevin Coleman, etc. are all good value in the 2nd, but in no way are they as talented as Gurley.
Share 49ersWebzone