There are 224 users in the forums

No WR until the 3rd round

• Andra
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Quest4six:
You have good points, but honestly the only position a rookie can make an impact on while on this roster is at WR or CB right now.
That's the benefit of having such a good team
If we drafted a lineman or even a QB nobody is going to take snaps away from the guys in front of them.
Plus, Kap is our QB now like it or not. We won't draft his replacement until 2020.

Your right that WR and CB rookies have the posablity to make a impact and if don't want to replace Kap I really like him and think he will improve next season.i just think he will do that with the receivers we have and I would much rather shore up our secondary and add depth to the Dline while picking up a solid 3rd round WR
  • Andra
  • Veteran
Originally posted by tjd808185:
Not that I'm against taking them but if we draft Tuitt or Hagalman they're barely going to see the field for the next 2 years. The same goes for a safety so it's not like the argument is any different than taking a receiver. Depth now starter down the road. The one exception to that is corner and maybe center but that will be a competition.

Here's thing about receivers though. Don't count on a rookie producing. You got to look ahead and get a replacement lined up for Crabs, Boldin down the road.

Good point
Originally posted by Andra:
Your right that WR and CB rookies have the posablity to make a impact and if don't want to replace Kap I really like him and think he will improve next season.i just think he will do that with the receivers we have and I would much rather shore up our secondary and add depth to the Dline while picking up a solid 3rd round WR

They might not, I would actually be happy if I was wrong and Patton developed into that explosive slot WR we need. But with Crabs FA coming up, and Boldin being 34 its a no brainer. Plus looked at what happened to our offense when we lost Crabs and Manningham last year.
Kap is great, I personally know him and I have no doubt he is working his a$$ off to get a sb ring.

Our CB situation is similar to our WR, we have some holes i'm concerned about... But who knows, Culliver could be on the verge of a breakout year and if Brock keeps up his level of play we should be solid there. But we are still missing that nickel package CB, I thought it would be Nmamdi, but that was wrong.

I like your idea of bulking up our D-line, J.Smith is getting older and so is Ray Ray.
But then again we also have Dobbs, Dial, and Carradine we picked up last year who have yet to get on the field.

Lastly, Tuitt. If he is there for us to take at ANY point AFTER our first two picks I would be thrilled to land him
  • Andra
  • Veteran
They might not, I would actually be happy if I was wrong and Patton developed into that explosive slot WR we need. But with Crabs FA coming up, and Boldin being 34 its a no brainer. Plus looked at what happened to our offense when we lost Crabs and Manningham last year.
Kap is great, I personally know him and I have no doubt he is working his a$$ off to get a sb ring.

Our CB situation is similar to our WR, we have some holes i'm concerned about... But who knows, Culliver could be on the verge of a breakout year and if Brock keeps up his level of play we should be solid there. But we are still missing that nickel package CB, I thought it would be Nmamdi, but that was wrong.

I like your idea of bulking up our D-line, J.Smith is getting older and so is Ray Ray.
But then again we also have Dobbs, Dial, and Carradine we picked up last year who have yet to get on the field.

Lastly, Tuitt. If he is there for us to take at ANY point AFTER our first two picks I would be thrilled to land him

I am definatly hoping that Patton comes along and have no doubt the Kap is working hard .I am concerned about how well Culiver will play coming back after the ACL tear,and I thought Nmamdi was going to come through for us too.

If we pick up a1st or 2nd receiver do we go with quick or big

dude you know Kaep?
Originally posted by Andra:

I am definatly hoping that Patton comes along and have no doubt the Kap is working hard .I am concerned about how well Culiver will play coming back after the ACL tear,and I thought Nmamdi was going to come through for us too.

If we pick up a1st or 2nd receiver do we go with quick or big

I still don't get why Baalke and others thought Nnamdi would contribute. Anyone that can EASILY get juked and/or whiffs on tackles doesn't belong in the NFL
Originally posted by matt49er:
dude you know Kaep?

Not to the point of where I can text him and we hang out.
He was on my cousin's baseball team and I used to travel with him alot, he knows who I am.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by kronik:
I still don't get why Baalke and others thought Nnamdi would contribute. Anyone that can EASILY get juked and/or whiffs on tackles doesn't belong in the NFL

Well I was severely disappointed. I thought he'd be another Carlos where he'd come here and prove that he's still a good player. I guess his skills have severely diminished. We needed a good CB in the Seattle game and while our secondary is above average, it's not elite. Hopefully this draft cures that problem.
Originally posted by Giedi:
Well I was severely disappointed. I thought he'd be another Carlos where he'd come here and prove that he's still a good player. I guess his skills have severely diminished. We needed a good CB in the Seattle game and while our secondary is above average, it's not elite. Hopefully this draft cures that problem.

Thats what I thought as well, I don't know if you are referring to the TD Kearse had...
But that was on Whitner, for some reason, I've watched this tape more times than I care to admit

Im about 99% sure that if we had Bethea instead of Whitner this season, we would have won SB 48
Seriously, go back and watch this tape

2:43 Whitner for some reason lets Baldwin slip behind him, resulting end drive is a TD

Also, honestly, this next play is why I am glad C.Rogers and Whitner are gone
fast foward to 5:18, we have a nickel set with Rogers covering Kearse.
FROM THE SNAP, if you watch Rogers, he turns his back on Kearse and looks over at Tate whom is already being covered by Brock
Why rogers does that is beyond me because if you watch Kearse then turns to Rogers back shoulder and flies past him
Whitner should have seen that, its 4th and 7... You're Whitner and you see Rogers get burned right out of the gates and for some reason you are covering the flats?
Stupid move on both their parts, the result is Kearse slipped by Rogers, went over the top of Whitner for a TD

IMO, it wasn't Kap's turnovers that cost us the game, it was Whitners inability to cover the deep ball
Originally posted by tjd808185:
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
We don't really need a WR on this team. Patton is open on every play and we don't even throw to him or look his way. We got Boldin, Crabtree and Davis. If you can't get it done with that you can't get it done. That's better than what 90% of teams have. That's enough. This team has big holes in the secondary at starting positions and depth. We need to fill a lot of those. The TD's went to Boldin, Crabtree, Davis. We don't even look to other guys anyway. Another WR would just run around like Patton and McDonald (TE) do now and never get the ball even when they are open. It won't help this team.

Every single year the WZ wants a WR. You can look at the board for the last decade and they tend to be WR obsessed. Look at Seattle. Their WR's were not that great. Certainly not in the upper echelon of the NFL. How did they win? Defense and SECONDARY. That's where they are better than us. Look at the Ravens the year before. Would you call that WR corps great other than Boldin who we now have? I don't think I would. Detriot has Megatron and drafts WR's every year. How many Super Bowls and winning seasons for that matter do you see them having? They got a QB throwing for 5,000 yards and they can't win a thing ever.

Defense, O Line, Run the ball, don't turn it over. That's how you win any NFL game. Especially so in the playoffs. That is our formula.

Baltimore has Torrey Smith whose a d*** good receiver that averages 17.0+ catch. They beat us by having receivers that could stretch the field. I do agree with you overall and would like to stick to picking a receiver in the 2nd but it really comes down to BPA for a position of need.

Really looks like the guys who compliment Boldin, Crabs and Davis will all be gone in the 2nd.

Check how many yards per catch VD averages compared to other TE's. Boldin, Crabtree and Davis is a lot. It's enough.

• mayo49
  • Veteran
We need to go with a WR-CB-S or CB-WR-S, combination to start off. Those are our 3 most needy positions.
  • buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by mayo49:
We need to go with a WR-CB-S or CB-WR-S, combination to start off. Those are our 3 most needy positions.

Of course, it will also depend on who is on the board and if we decide to trade--up or down.

We have 6 picks in the first 100. This draft is very deep; not so sure about the draft next year.

Options not in any particular order

Cornerback: Gilbert, Verrett, Roby, Fuller, Desir, Jean-Baptiste, P. Gaines, J. Watkins

Safety: Ward, Bucannon, Dowling, and Bailey

Wide Receiver: Evans, Cooks, Beckham, Matthews, Robinson, Moncrief, the usual suspects, and Janis

DE: Hageman, Tuitt, Quarles, Johnson (LSU) and Coleman
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Giedi:

Thats what I thought as well, I don't know if you are referring to the TD Kearse had...
But that was on Whitner, for some reason, I've watched this tape more times than I care to admit

Im about 99% sure that if we had Bethea instead of Whitner this season, we would have won SB 48
Seriously, go back and watch this tape

2:43 Whitner for some reason lets Baldwin slip behind him, resulting end drive is a TD

Also, honestly, this next play is why I am glad C.Rogers and Whitner are gone
fast foward to 5:18, we have a nickel set with Rogers covering Kearse.
FROM THE SNAP, if you watch Rogers, he turns his back on Kearse and looks over at Tate whom is already being covered by Brock
Why rogers does that is beyond me because if you watch Kearse then turns to Rogers back shoulder and flies past him
Whitner should have seen that, its 4th and 7... You're Whitner and you see Rogers get burned right out of the gates and for some reason you are covering the flats?
Stupid move on both their parts, the result is Kearse slipped by Rogers, went over the top of Whitner for a TD

IMO, it wasn't Kap's turnovers that cost us the game, it was Whitners inability to cover the deep ball

I totally agree with you. As much as folks like to blame Kaepernick, we would still have won the game if the pass defense would have held up against Seattle. Believe it or not, that video was the first time since January that I've watched that game. It was too painful to watch in January and today, while still painful, I am comforted by the fact that Seattle has lost a ton of depth and will be coming at us at a severely weakened position this year if they don't draft well.

I truly hope that Baalke does execute and draft a 1981 style draft in a sense that we went two DB's in the first 3 picks that we had in that draft.
dude you know Kaep?

Not to the point of where I can text him and we hang out.
He was on my cousin's baseball team and I used to travel with him alot, he knows who I am.

Still cool though
Still cool though

He is an awesome guy, those accusations hawk fans created about showing how Wilson is a good christian kid and Kap is some tatted guy who is into his shoes is so far off.
Share 49ersWebzone