There are 233 users in the forums

Why WR should be priority number one...

Originally posted by Since07:
Didn't mention what if 1 of em gets hurt either. Great read even though I think CB is the number 1 priority hands down We jus lost are two starters and who is now starting (Culliver and Brock) both have had ACL tears in the past 2 yrs. Neither of which have been official starters

Tramaine Brock has not had an ACL tear in the past 2 years. He played 16 games in 2012 and 16 in 2013.

In fact, he has never torn his ACL.
Originally posted by tatdwolf49:
Our team is built in such a way that we can basically take BPA in each round...WRs N CBs are such a deep class so BPA will be a great thing cause someone really good will fall right in our lap....

Or we'll end up with a DL that won't see more than 10 snaps a game for the next 2 years.

We need immediate impact from the top of this draft.
Originally posted by LVJay:
Cooks or De'Anthony Thomas and Moncrief would be sweet!

I know Thomas is listed as RB, but he can also catch, play ST and is better than LMJ (imo).

I'm with you on everything except Thomas being better than LMJ.

Thomas accomplished maybe half of what LMJ did at Oregon.

Granted it's a very small sample, but LMJ has averaged almost 5 ypc for us so far. The only thing preventing his success is the lack of offensive imagination and being behind two very good backs. He has produced when given the opportunity.
Originally posted by pwillis52beasty:

That's who we need

I'd love to get Cooks at 30 or even slide up a few spots to get him.
  • LVJay
  • Veteran
Hopefully, both Emmanuel Sanders and Walter Thurmond sign with us. Then, maybe we can move closer in the draft to focus on safety in stead of WR/CB -- pick up Ha Ha Clinton Dix or next best safety. We aren't looking very good after Reid and Bethea.

Reid had a couple of concussions as a rookie and Bethea has had his share on injuries. I hope neither one of our starting safeties gets injured, but that's part of the game. I'm definitely not comfortable with our current back ups forced to be starters due to injuries.

1. Crabs (should be 100% by game day if not already)
2. Boldin
3. Sanders
4. Patton
5. Rookie(s) and maybe Jonathan Baldwin (improves and sticks with us)

By adding Sanders, we won't need to stress WR or CB ahead of safety position. There are definitely going to be good ones available in 2nd/3rd rounds (same thing goes for CB if Thurmond signs).
[ Edited by LVJay on Mar 15, 2014 at 1:44 PM ]
Originally posted by JamesGatz83:
Originally posted by tatdwolf49:
Our team is built in such a way that we can basically take BPA in each round...WRs N CBs are such a deep class so BPA will be a great thing cause someone really good will fall right in our lap....

Or we'll end up with a DL that won't see more than 10 snaps a game for the next 2 years.

We need immediate impact from the top of this draft.

Immediate impact hhmmmm really ??? Guess we see our team as to very different teams we're stacked we have been contenders 3 yrs now N that's not changing anytime soon..we draft for tha future not for now..IMO a D-lineman(Tuitt)would be a great pick at #30 a lot of our D-linemen are FAs after tha 2015 season N so what if he gets 10 snaps a season not like a WR would see any more behind Crabtree, Boldin, Patton N Baldwin.. With 2nd round WRz like Matthews, Adams, Moncrief, plus others along with draft picks to move up if need be we can do anything N take anyone ...
  • LVJay
  • Veteran
DP
[ Edited by LVJay on Mar 15, 2014 at 1:52 PM ]
The reality is this, the 49ers rarely play 3 WR sets, no rookie WR that comes in will play over Boldin or Crabtree. So basically looking at the talent available, in the 1st I can see a CB or BPA. If a WR is BPA, even if they have to trade up for him, then that is who they'll go with. If a defensive lineman is BPA, then that is who they will go with. I don't think its a given or a necessity to get a WR in the 1st round.
Hopefully, both Emmanuel Sanders and Thurmond Thomas sign with us. Then, maybe we can move closer in the draft to focus on safety in stead of WR/CB -- pick up Ha Ha Clinton Dix or next best safety. We aren't looking very good after Reid and Bethea.

Reid had a couple of concussions as a rookie and Bethea has had his share on injuries. I hope neither one of our starting safeties gets injured, but that's part of the game. I'm definitely not comfortable with our current back ups forced to be starters due to injuries.

1. Crabs (should be 100% by game day if not already)
2. Boldin
3. Sanders
4. Patton
5. Rookie(s) and maybe Jonathan Baldwin (improves and sticks with us)

By adding Sanders, we won't need to stress WR or CB ahead of safety position. There are definitely going to be good ones available in 2nd/3rd rounds (same thing goes for CB if Thurmond signs).

Even though they say RB's typically go downhill at 30, I think old Thurman might have something left in the tank after all.
  • LVJay
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Even though they say RB's typically go downhill at 30, I think old Thurman might have something left in the tank after all.

I caught that before you clowned me... fixed

• LVJay
  • Veteran
Cooks or De'Anthony Thomas and Moncrief would be sweet!

I know Thomas is listed as RB, but he can also catch, play ST and is better than LMJ (imo).

I'm with you on everything except Thomas being better than LMJ.

Thomas accomplished maybe half of what LMJ did at Oregon.

Granted it's a very small sample, but LMJ has averaged almost 5 ypc for us so far. The only thing preventing his success is the lack of offensive imagination and being behind two very good backs. He has produced when given the opportunity.

You may be right on (LMJ being better than Thomas)... he definitely hasn't been played much. We'll see if / how well Thomas does at the next level. One thing is for sure though, they both can be babies when things don't go their way
Donte Moncrief AND Jordan Matthews to the rescue!
WR is #1 priority ....
Tramaine Brock has not had an ACL tear in the past 2 years. He played 16 games in 2012 and 16 in 2013.

In fact, he has never torn his ACL.

Holy s**t I totally thought he got hurt near the end of 2012! Idk why lol but still doesn't mean we should be comfortable playing him starting role
AGREE - WR helps in more ways than on offense.

Our defense is "stressed" because we don't have any big plays that help get us a good lead. I'm tired of the "sustain drives" argument. If you can't put daggers in the other side with big plays, which demoralizes the other team, then your defense is playing "stressed" always trying to guard a lead.

A big play receiver (deep threat, and red zone help) are the offenses critical need. Then even our defense gets to play loose and have more fun.
Share 49ersWebzone