There are 227 users in the forums

MadDog's 2014 NFL Draft Pre-Combine Big 150 Board

• mayo49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:
Originally posted by mayo49:
I don't want Lee, we already have to slow guys in Crabs and Boldin.

You must not watch USC football if you think Marquise Lee is "slow".

Let's just say he's not swift of foot.
Hey MD~ Thanks as always for your insights and hard work...

Just curious...Could you please post your picks for the 2012 draft that Baalke missed on? I'd be really curious to see how your picks turned out.

Cheers!
  • thl408
Is this a top heavy draft? Evenly dispersed talent? Deep or shallow? I know nothing of these players so I thought this would be a good thread to ask this question.
Originally posted by ElephantHaley:
Wow nice list. This is a DEEP draft. the more I think of it, the better a trade down may happen? Move down from 30 to 40 something and pick up another 3rd for 2015 and still not miss a Prospect.

ahh come on, dont back down now, you've practically already traded that 1st rounder for sammy watkins, dez bryant, adrian peterson anyone else i'm missing?
[ Edited by crabman82 on Feb 18, 2014 at 10:09 AM ]
  • DeUh
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Murphys1:
It's like a kid in a candy store...there are so many good players. I often wish one of the draft gurus on this board could do our draft instead of Trent B. Really, sometimes I do. By the way, I like a trade back, but not if Lee is there. If I pick Lee, I can focus on DB and defense for the next few picks. He can be an all around WR, kind of "big AND little". I like and better than or.

MD - curious about the Safety class. You have Pryor ranked (slightly) ahead of Clinton-Dix and both within shot of the 49ers at 30. I know your board isn't a mock, but on most of the mocks I've seen Clinton-Dix is the only S that grades out in the first round and he seems to be going anywhere from 12 to 20. So ...

1. Can you break down Pryor vs. Clinton-Dix?
2. If this is your projection of where the players are going to be drafted, can you explain why you think Clinton-Dix will "fall" to the late first round?
3. Is he or Pryor worth the 49ers taking over a WR or CB and where would they have to trade up to ensure they get their guy - late teens?
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
My thoughts on Lee is that he is neither big, nor explosive. Think he will be right at 6', and will run a mediocre forty time. Hence, the movement toward the bottom of the first, Could be wrong.

I think Fuller will be a riser, pushing toward the top edge of the second round.

Matthews "liability" right now is off the LOS. Really interested to see his 10 yard split. The guy works hard, but separation might be the issue.

Loston is a good player. Definitely underrated in my opinion.

Curious to see where Ellis is taken. Mediocre Senior Bowl practices. I get suckered every year in overprojecting smaller school giant DT, and this year I am probably a bit conservative. Good prospect, but in a deeper draft slides a bit.

MD, good feedback. I'm a big fan of your work.

It'll be interesting to see how Lee does at the combine. His 40 will be key, but his medicals will be critical. If he shows some type of ongoing issue, he may drop even more.

The CB in this draft seem to be the top 2 and then a big gap. I am very intrigued by the second tier guys though. I had assumed that Blake would move up to grab one of those top two, but neither seem like no brained Pro Bowlers.

I'm kind of conflicted about Matthews. He seems to play into the strength of the Seattle corners. But like I said, I just have a gut feeling about him.

Finally, I think Loston will be solid but unspectacular, kind of like Reynolds.

This should be an interesting draft.
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:
Originally posted by English:
Originally posted by Murphys1:
It's like a kid in a candy store...there are so many good players. I often wish one of the draft gurus on this board could do our draft instead of Trent B. Really, sometimes I do. By the way, I like a trade back, but not if Lee is there. If I pick Lee, I can focus on DB and defense for the next few picks. He can be an all around WR, kind of "big AND little". I like and better than or.

You have to be kidding. I take Baalke any day of the week.

LOL Ya think? Anyone who thinks that some amateur in the WZ knows more than Baalke or would do a better job is crazy.

I think you underestimate some people who are unpaid professionals. The draft is witchcraft. I can find you more than a million amateurs who would have hit more than Baalke in 2012. Of course, you have to stack the bodies over the years between those who make calls to see who is best, amateur or paid professional (and there is no doubt that Baalke has been good thus far). This amateur in that draft alone selected starters in Konz, Sanu, Malik Jackson, Vick Ballard, Antonio Allen, and probable future starter in Brandon Thompson. People who avidly watch football and know the system and history of the draft don't need a title to be as good as many on payroll. There are many smart guys on this board. Don't forget, this amateur picked the best defensive player in the NFL a few years back.
Originally posted by nw9erfan:
Hey MD~ Thanks as always for your insights and hard work...

Just curious...Could you please post your picks for the 2012 draft that Baalke missed on? I'd be really curious to see how your picks turned out.

Cheers!

Cutting and pasting:
1. Peter Konz
2. Mohamed Sanu
3. Brandon Thompson
4. Malik Jackson
5. Vick Ballard
6. Antonio Allen
7. Derrius Brooks
Originally posted by Butter:
My thoughts on Lee is that he is neither big, nor explosive. Think he will be right at 6', and will run a mediocre forty time. Hence, the movement toward the bottom of the first, Could be wrong.

I think Fuller will be a riser, pushing toward the top edge of the second round.

Matthews "liability" right now is off the LOS. Really interested to see his 10 yard split. The guy works hard, but separation might be the issue.

Loston is a good player. Definitely underrated in my opinion.

Curious to see where Ellis is taken. Mediocre Senior Bowl practices. I get suckered every year in overprojecting smaller school giant DT, and this year I am probably a bit conservative. Good prospect, but in a deeper draft slides a bit.

MD, good feedback. I'm a big fan of your work.

It'll be interesting to see how Lee does at the combine. His 40 will be key, but his medicals will be critical. If he shows some type of ongoing issue, he may drop even more.

The CB in this draft seem to be the top 2 and then a big gap. I am very intrigued by the second tier guys though. I had assumed that Blake would move up to grab one of those top two, but neither seem like no brained Pro Bowlers.

I'm kind of conflicted about Matthews. He seems to play into the strength of the Seattle corners. But like I said, I just have a gut feeling about him.

Finally, I think Loston will be solid but unspectacular, kind of like Reynolds.

This should be an interesting draft.

I'll be honest with you...WRs are always my most challenging position to analyze. I didn't like K. Allen nor R. Woods (I had third round grades on both of them) going into last years draft and they both played very well. This WR class is littered with future disappointments. Couldn't even begin to tell you what will separate the best from the rest. I love the heart of Matthews and hope he makes it big. I just have my doubts right now. I do like the feistiness of Beckham and the savvy of Robinson. I love Abbrederis, who will probably run a mediocre forty but will probably chew up the field on the 3 cone drill. Smart smart player. Of course, Watkins is in a league by himself.

so maddog what differentiates jace amaro and eric ebron as far as their rankings among tes
Originally posted by hofer36:
so maddog what differentiates jace amaro and eric ebron as far as their rankings among tes
Not much. I think Amaro will measure an inch taller and weigh an extra 10-15 pounds more, but Ebron might put on one of the most impressive showings at the combine. Both are flex TEs, and neither are good blockers at this point. It will come down to the beauty is in the eye of the beholder. While Ebron is the most impressive athlete, I tend to believe Amaro will be the better route runner and more reliable target when they get to the NFL. Both should start right away in sub packages, and if they can show their chops in blocking, become an every down starter.

While I like both players, I would grade them below last year's number one TE, Tyler Eifert.
Originally posted by Butter:
Ok, based on Mad Dog's NOT A MOCK, heres a mock

30 Marqise Lee
I dont think he'll fall this far. If the 9ers want him, I think they trade up. But if MD is correct and Dennard and Gilbert go that high, Lee is the #3 option imho.

Trade
61+77 for 41
41 Kyle Fuller
This spot gives them their pick between Fuller, Roberson, and Roby

56 Jordan Matthews
My gut tells me he'll be good. Groomed to take over for Bolden?
Alternatives: Jarvis Landry, Robert Herron

94 Dion Bailey
Assuming they sign Whitner, groomed as heir apparent
Alternatives: Craig Loston

Trade: 125 + 158 =109
109 EJ Gaines
Another talented CB to develop

Comp pick (Goldson): Justin Ellis
I think hes long gone by here

Trade
189 + 219 = 2015 pick

220 Quincy Enuwa
Swiss Army knife type player, vicious blocker

222 George Atkinson
RB Notre Dame, competes for Dixons role?

Based off the board and your mock how about:

30 WR Marquise lee
56 CB Stanley Jean-Baptiste
57 trade 61 + 7th rd WR Jordan Mathews
72 trade 77 + 7th rd CB Pierre Desir
95 S Dion Bailey
118 trade 126 + 6th rd C Bryan Stork
158 BPA maybe Aaron Colvin or an OT that slid, maybe even a back up QB

This looks like a little more bang for the buck and still gets 3 of the same players and adds a quality Center
Originally posted by thl408:
Is this a top heavy draft? Evenly dispersed talent? Deep or shallow? I know nothing of these players so I thought this would be a good thread to ask this question.

I think it is a deeper class than top heavy class, beyond the first ten picks, the next tier to me is about the same (the next 30+ picks). Excellent value for interior linemen in the mid-rounds, and potential for a monster wide receiver even in the third round, if you get lucky, really good RBs and TEs also in the mid rounds. Not super high on the safety class after the top 3 guys. Better get ward or pryor or Dix right away because the safety class drops off quickly.
Originally posted by thl408:

I think it is a deeper class than top heavy class, beyond the first ten picks, the next tier to me is about the same (the next 30+ picks). Excellent value for interior linemen in the mid-rounds, and potential for a monster wide receiver even in the third round, if you get lucky, really good RBs and TEs also in the mid rounds. Not super high on the safety class after the top 3 guys. Better get ward or pryor or Dix right away because the safety class drops off quickly.

MD, I know you're also a fan of Abbrederis, but to me he's the best receiver in this class (of the guys who will be available to us without a trade up. So basically, I recognize that Watkins is better). I know he's not the biggest, but honestly that's the only knock I see on him. He's the best route runner, he returns punts, he's got speed (although for some reason people say he doesn't), makes great adjustments for the ball in the air, dangerous in the open field, and has incredible hands. He's always focused and extremely smart, and always EARNS separation. He's my favorite player to watch, and my favorite player in this draft. I know everyone else likes him too, but for some reason sees some kind of a limitation. Analysts go on and on about how he does everything well, and then don't put him in their top-10 WRs. What's your ceiling on him? Am I overrating him? I see a guy capable of consistantly 1000+/8+. Maybe a Victor Cruz
Share 49ersWebzone