There are 212 users in the forums

RZ Target who can really high point the ball - Martavis Bryant (Clemson WR)

Judge for yourselves: http://draftbreakdown.com/video/martavis-bryant-vs-ohio-state-2013/

Positives
+ Played in w/ 2 elite WR in college and didn't get a chance to shine. This makes him fly under the radar, and makes him a great value
+ Length, length, length. Looks like AJ Green
+ Body control is very good
+ High points the ball in the air
+ Excellent Red Zone target
+ Consistently a first read for Boyd in the RZ
+ Makes some spectacular catches in traffic due to leaping, body control and concentration
+ Was big in the bowl game. I'm a sucker for players that show up to play in big games

Negatives
- Few times I've seen him go deep, I've come away unimpressed with his ability to track the ball deep
- Skinny. Someone needs to get this kid something to eat.
- Can he be effective without Sammy Watkins, Andre Ellington, DeAndre Hopkins and Taj Boyd? Lots of talent around him
He's a few years away from being a fully developed/productive WR, but all the talent is there. Even better if we re-signed Boldin so a young guy like Bryant can watch and learn how to play WR in the NFL the right way.
It will be interesting to see if Baalke gets some scouts that are known for their ability to pick WRs. We need a few to develop and a few to start. This will be an intriguing offseason.
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:
He's a few years away from being a fully developed/productive WR, but all the talent is there. Even better if we re-signed Boldin so a young guy like Bryant can watch and learn how to play WR in the NFL the right way.

The way I see the WR position next year is that if Boldin is re-signed, they won't really get much of a chance unless (1) there's an injury or (2) they bring a specific skill that can be used in specific situations.

Re-signing Boldin to me is a must. His contract is extremely reasonable, he's got major rapport with Kaep (and Kaep's development has to be priority #1 for this team) he fits perfectly into this scheme, and despite his age, he's still playing as well as he ever has.

Bryant to me is a guy that won't require a high pick, will have a chance to develop behind Q, Crabs and Patton for at least 1 year, and can come in during RZ situations to give us a large target that can high point the ball.
One thing we all know for sure - WR do get injured and we really don't have anyone in the development stage at this point.

This guy sounds like a good prospect.

What round do you all think he'll be available?
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:
One thing we all know for sure - WR do get injured and we really don't have anyone in the development stage at this point.

This guy sounds like a good prospect.

What round do you all think he'll be available?

probably 4th, but since we pick so late, my guess is that we'd have to use our 3rd (or a comp 3rd if we get one)
Originally posted by RollinWith21n52:

The way I see the WR position next year is that if Boldin is re-signed, they won't really get much of a chance unless (1) there's an injury or (2) they bring a specific skill that can be used in specific situations.

Re-signing Boldin to me is a must. His contract is extremely reasonable, he's got major rapport with Kaep (and Kaep's development has to be priority #1 for this team) he fits perfectly into this scheme, and despite his age, he's still playing as well as he ever has.

Bryant to me is a guy that won't require a high pick, will have a chance to develop behind Q, Crabs and Patton for at least 1 year, and can come in during RZ situations to give us a large target that can high point the ball.

I look at it this way:

I think we need a starting caliber receiver, with all our picks, I will not be very happy with a project when we have the ability to land a player who is that type of "NFL-ready" so that by the time they reach their 2nd season, they're already a major force on the field -- 2 years from now, who knows if Boldin still wants to play/still can play/still is healthy? AND would he be affordable and/or still under contract IF he does re-sign this year? Lots of questions.

With a starting caliber receiver, we can keep Boldin fresh more often. We can rotate the rookie with the starting string: Crabtree/Boldin and Crabtree/Rookie. Then Boldin on some downs can play the slot as well, rotating with Patton.
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
I look at it this way:

I think we need a starting caliber receiver, with all our picks, I will not be very happy with a project when we have the ability to land a player who is that type of "NFL-ready" so that by the time they reach their 2nd season, they're already a major force on the field -- 2 years from now, who knows if Boldin still wants to play/still can play/still is healthy? AND would he be affordable and/or still under contract IF he does re-sign this year? Lots of questions.

With a starting caliber receiver, we can keep Boldin fresh more often. We can rotate the rookie with the starting string: Crabtree/Boldin and Crabtree/Rookie. Then Boldin on some downs can play the slot as well, rotating with Patton.

Allen Robinson or Jarvis Landry then......or f**k it, take both.
He's got rare physcial abilities but I'm not super impressed with his effort. By the way, who's that Sammy Watkins guy that keeps stealing the spotlight in that video?
[ Edited by kronik on Jan 8, 2014 at 1:15 PM ]
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
I look at it this way:

Allen Robinson or Jarvis Landry then......or f**k it, take both.

Crabs, Boldin, Patton, Robinson, Landry.

That said, I do like Bryant and think he's someone worth developing. So long-term, if we drafted Robinson or even a guy like Jordan Matthews early, you can get a guy like Bryant later and give him a few years. You could also add a slot-type/special teamer

Crabs
Boldin
Patton (who's like Landry in a lot of ways)
Robinson or Matthews (1st)
Bryant (3rd)
Brandin Cooks (2nd) or Dri Archer (3rd-4th) or Tevin Reese (3rd-5th) or Jalen Saunders (4th+) or Brandon Carter (5th+) or Josh Stewart (5th+)

I look at it this way:

I agree with having guys who are ready to start, but probably not with EVERY WR pick. (based on the Boldin re-signing assumption). If we have one other guy ready to step in and play right away, we'll be in great shape (Jared Abberaderis gets my vote). Btw, it's not like Bryant is a major project who needs 2 years before he can step on the field. He started for a major program, putting up 800 yards and 7 TDs. He's also got the talent to step up and play
I want this guy!

I do agree he has a ton to work on. Not a strong blocker, can be incredibly lazy on his routes too. Basically, at the moment he is a size/height/speed athletic freak with very good concentration and some very solid hands for the most part. Based on potential, I'd tab him a 3rd round value right now, but there's always that chance with a strong off-season that a team overdrafts and takes him much sooner.

I look at it this way:

I agree with having guys who are ready to start, but probably not with EVERY WR pick. (based on the Boldin re-signing assumption). If we have one other guy ready to step in and play right away, we'll be in great shape (Jared Abberaderis gets my vote). Btw, it's not like Bryant is a major project who needs 2 years before he can step on the field. He started for a major program, putting up 800 yards and 7 TDs. He's also got the talent to step up and play

I agree, I don't think we need all starters either (frankly, we may not have the room, especially if Boldin is brought back), but I strongly believe we need at least one. Give me one starting caliber receiver out of a deep class now and a plethora of picks, and I'll be happy.

I look at it this way:

I agree, I don't think we need all starters either (frankly, we may not have the room, especially if Boldin is brought back), but I strongly believe we need at least one. Give me one starting caliber receiver out of a deep class now and a plethora of picks, and I'll be happy.

What's also interesting in this deep WR draft is that a lot of the good teams that are drafting late (SF, Sea, NE, Indy, CAR, maybe Phi, KC, maybe SD) need WRs, while bad teams that are drafting early (DET, CHI, STL, MIN, TB, Hou, Jax, Cle, Mia, ATL, Pit, Dal) need them less. I see a run on some of these WRs towards the end of the rounds. Especially the first 3 rounds. I think a lot of talented players will be going at the end of rounds 2 and 3. That pick from TEN can be a prime spot to draft the cream of the 3rd round crop.
Share 49ersWebzone