There are 218 users in the forums

Brandon Thorn's 2014 NFL Mock Draft (2 Rounds)

Originally posted by CasBanaszek:
I beg to differ with the prevailing don't draft a DL in the 1st round attitude here. Look what Lotulelei has done for the Panthers defense. Our nose tackle depth is just guys. I mean, all NFL players are great athletes, but our guys aren't special. Remember Bryant Young? Can you imagine what a top NT could do for the defensive line, and the defense as a whole? There's no guarantee that Tank will play at Justin's level, or do the things Justin does. We don't know if Dial is gonna cut it or not. MacDonald ain't no spring chicken either. George Seifert, the genius behind the top notch 49ers defense in the 80's and 90's, always maintained you can't have enough defensive linemen. With Culliver, Brock, Brown, and Wright we have a plethora of corners. If we retain Whitner, we're OK at the safety spot for one more year. I think drafting a NT is the thing to do. Just because something isn't conventional wisdom doesn't mean it's wrong.

Two problems with that statement:
1. Brown is most likely gone next year
2. You seem to forget Culliver is coming off a tore ACL. You're assuming he'll be back to himself immediately when really, nobody has no idea what he'll look like post knee reconstruction. Not everybody is Peterson.

So no, that's not a "plethora" of depth at CB. If Dennard or Gilbert are still available when we pick, Baalke would be crazy to pass one of those guys up for a DL that's not even an immediate need for us right now.
Why the f**k are we picking 26th? We're going to be picking 32nd
Ever play with TJE in madden? Throwing O linemen around but doesnt ever shed the block
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by AB81Rules:
Originally posted by Kolohe:
No thanks to these two rounds. If Darqueze is anywhere near the 23rd pick, Baalke better be getting out his gun to rob some folks. And EJ Gaines in the 2nd....da fuq is going on, and they pass on Ed Reynolds (best of the rest).....you gotta be fist f**king me!!

Hey NOW, language Kolohe, we got KIddies in here, ya know? Can't f**king say f**k,

This is the Draft War Room where grown men come to speak!!!!
maybe in the 3rd rd the QB from San Jose St
Originally posted by NeonNiner:
I beg to differ with the prevailing don't draft a DL in the 1st round attitude here. Look what Lotulelei has done for the Panthers defense. Our nose tackle depth is just guys. I mean, all NFL players are great athletes, but our guys aren't special. Remember Bryant Young? Can you imagine what a top NT could do for the defensive line, and the defense as a whole? There's no guarantee that Tank will play at Justin's level, or do the things Justin does. We don't know if Dial is gonna cut it or not. MacDonald ain't no spring chicken either. George Seifert, the genius behind the top notch 49ers defense in the 80's and 90's, always maintained you can't have enough defensive linemen. With Culliver, Brock, Brown, and Wright we have a plethora of corners. If we retain Whitner, we're OK at the safety spot for one more year. I think drafting a NT is the thing to do. Just because something isn't conventional wisdom doesn't mean it's wrong.

2. You seem to forget Culliver is coming off a tore ACL. You're assuming he'll be back to himself immediately when really, nobody has no idea what he'll look like post knee reconstruction. Not everybody is Peterson.

So no, that's not a "plethora" of depth at CB. If Dennard or Gilbert are still available when we pick, Baalke would be crazy to pass one of those guys up for a DL that's not even an immediate need for us right now.

1. What evidence do you have to support that? The 49ers may wind up well under the cap next season if Rodgers is cut.
2. You seem to forget the advances in sports medicine that have taken place. Players now routinely come back quickly from injuries that were career-ending a year ago. Crabtree is a great example of that. It's not just Peterson, it's the advances in medicine, both surgery and the recovery period.

So yes, it quite possibly a 'plethora' of depth at CB. If you think MacDonald, Smith and whatever stiff we put in at NT will continue to be as dominant as they have in the past, you're crazy.
Originally posted by stonecold590:
Why take Depth/backup with first round pick?

I doubt Dline in the first, but it depends on who is where in the draft. Getting many D-line man was the second greatest football coach's (Jimmy Johnson behind Walsh)way of keeping his DLine controlling the line of scrimmage. You rotate them often. We don't do enough of it in my opinion. I would love to see us get a guy like Khalil Mack or CJ Mosley to develop over a wide-out. If a guy like Watkins or Lee is there and we get him great. My sleeper is The kid from FSU Kelvin Benjamin. He looks a nd acts the part. He may go in the top 15 when the process starts.
[ Edited by LBSI9ers on Dec 14, 2013 at 5:54 PM ]

1. What evidence do you have to support that? The 49ers may wind up well under the cap next season if Rodgers is cut.
2. You seem to forget the advances in sports medicine that have taken place. Players now routinely come back quickly from injuries that were career-ending a year ago. Crabtree is a great example of that. It's not just Peterson, it's the advances in medicine, both surgery and the recovery period.

So yes, it quite possibly a 'plethora' of depth at CB. If you think MacDonald, Smith and whatever stiff we put in at NT will continue to be as dominant as they have in the past, you're crazy.

LOL! Why do you think the FO hurried up to resign Brock? According to Maicco and other sources, the contract given to Brock was originally offered to Brown and Brown turned it down. I fully expect him to enter FA and try to cash out somewhere else. Can't keep everyone, especially when you have guys like Kap, Aldon, and Crabtree to negotiate with in the future. Even Boldin and Hitner are probably ahead of him on the priority list when it comes to the impending free agents next year. Brown is going to want to get paid (and rightfully so) but I doubt it will be by us.

As for Culliver, I'm aware of modern medicine and rehab - all I'm saying is that it's a bit premature (and in most cases, wishful thinking) to assume Cully will be 100% in the beginning. He might, he might not. Nobody knows. Not saying the dudes career is over but it won't be a cake walk for him right away either - I'd feel much more comfortable if we had more reliable depth behind him.

We're likely losing two starting CBs next year in Rogers and Brown. So no, I have to disagree - that's not a plethora of depth at CB. It's significantly less than what we're afforded this year. If we're not taking a WR with our first pick, I see us taking another DB in a very deep CB class. Much more likely and logical scenario than using a 1st rounder on a DL.

Also, chill out dude. Don't need to be calling peeps crazy. Just my opinion.
Originally posted by kronik:
I love it. Especially love our last 2nd round pick Davante Adams!
Thanks man...you like the Adams/Crabtree comparison?
Originally posted by kronik:
Originally posted by BThorn86:
Originally posted by stonecold590:
Why take Depth/backup with first round pick?
Simple, = value. Hageman right now is incredibly underrated because he plays for Minnesota. Once the combine rolls around and scouts get to be up close and personal with the guy and he blows the doors off of the drills, he will rise. Getting him at the end of the first is a great value pick and could help ease the transition from Justin Smith even more. But yeah, you guys make good points with the youth you already have in place. But we see it every year ESPECIALLY with elite teams; they tend to pick the best player available regardless of the need. Sometimes they don't. I easily could see a DB or WR here but keep in mind this mock will see about 15-20 updates from now until May..

I'm disappointed you guys didn't say anything about what I mocked to you in the 2nd though...that kinda meets your needs a little bit..

I think this can actually unfold. I also agree we should not overlook our future needs at DL. Even if Tank turns out to be a future stud, he'll need company after Smith and McDonald are gone. Also love the cb and wr we select in the 2nd round. I would rather have Purifoy than Gaines but I'm nitpicking. Anyways, the 1st two rounds pretty much fills our immediate needs. Will need to add a safety or 2 with the rest of the draft picks

Yeah thanks man..once this weeks' games are through I'll be updating things with the new orders but I felt like Hageman, Gaines, and Adams would be an excellent trio to reel in, considering the value of each and the needs

I don't think there is much chance of Dennard or Gilbert being there when you pick, I had them gone in this mock. They're the top two corners, both legit top 25 picks. Dennard will have to run in the 4.5s at the combine to really solidify himself that highly though. We all know Gilbert can fly.
  • GEEK
  • Veteran
As a U of Minnesota graduate, I've seen plenty of Gopher games. Hageman is a legit prospect.

That being said, I don't agree with your analysis. Yes, Justin Smith is getting older. But they'll be getting Tank Carradine back in 2014 fully healthy. He'll be the eventual successor at DE. But Ray McDonald is the one of the most underrated 3-4 DEs in the game. And he's actually recorded a sack in each of the last two games, so he's improved his pass rushing skills lately.

And let's not forget about Tony Jerod Eddie, one of the unsung heroes in terms of our depth. A UDFA in 2012, TJE has worked hard and filled in nicely as a sub starter and rotational player.

And in addition to our current starter at NT Glenn Dorsey, we'll have a healthy Ian Williams in 2014.

So would it be nice to have another prospect in the mix to compete - absolutely. A day 1 pick? Probably not, especially when the 49ers might need to fill a void due to free agency - T. Brown, D. Whitner, and wide receiver. The 49ers successful 1st round picks over the past few years have been immediate contributors. It seems like the 49ers target one specific player to move up (Eric Reid, Anthony Davis) and write them down as a starter for the season. And the last few times we had 1st round picks that were "green", A.J. Jenkins was traded after a season, and Kentwan Balmer got butt hurt.

So while we do have depth at the position already, the pick doesn't seem to be in line with the current trend we see from the front office.

In terms of your 2nd round picks, very solid picks in Gaines and Adams. Great blend of need and value. But I have high reservations that Adams will be available in the late second. And Gaines will depend on his combine.
Originally posted by AB81Rules:
No thanks to these two rounds. If Darqueze is anywhere near the 23rd pick, Baalke better be getting out his gun to rob some folks. And EJ Gaines in the 2nd....da fuq is going on, and they pass on Ed Reynolds (best of the rest).....you gotta be fist f**king me!!

Hey NOW, language Kolohe, we got KIddies in here, ya know? Can't f**king say f**k,

This is the Draft War Room where grown men come to speak!!!!

I knew you were the one Mod who would get a kick out of this. Now don't warn or ban me, pwease

I also agree with your second statement,

Our NTs are not "stiffs." Our starting NT is not "just a guy." Dorsey was a #3 overall pick. If KC didn't snag him at 3, he'd have likely gone at 4 or 5. That gives him the best draft pedigree on this squad, and that was a direct result of immense physical potential and college production. He was poorly coached and utilized at KC, so we got him cheap as he performs some rehab to his stock as a player. He is playing better than any NT we've had in recent memory, and it's his 1st year at the position. He is not a 350+ lb plugger, because we don't use those. We use strong, high motor guys who win with leverage, quickness, and technique, because that is our scheme. It seems to be working for years now, too.
LOL! Why do you think the FO hurried up to resign Brock? According to Maicco and other sources, the contract given to Brock was originally offered to Brown and Brown turned it down. I fully expect him to enter FA and try to cash out somewhere else. Can't keep everyone, especially when you have guys like Kap, Aldon, and Crabtree to negotiate with in the future. Even Boldin and Hitner are probably ahead of him on the priority list when it comes to the impending free agents next year. Brown is going to want to get paid (and rightfully so) but I doubt it will be by us.

As for Culliver, I'm aware of modern medicine and rehab - all I'm saying is that it's a bit premature (and in most cases, wishful thinking) to assume Cully will be 100% in the beginning. He might, he might not. Nobody knows. Not saying the dudes career is over but it won't be a cake walk for him right away either - I'd feel much more comfortable if we had more reliable depth behind him.

We're likely losing two starting CBs next year in Rogers and Brown. So no, I have to disagree - that's not a plethora of depth at CB. It's significantly less than what we're afforded this year. If we're not taking a WR with our first pick, I see us taking another DB in a very deep CB class. Much more likely and logical scenario than using a 1st rounder on a DL.

Also, chill out dude. Don't need to be calling peeps crazy. Just my opinion.

I apologize that the condescending tone of your posts caused me to resort to personal attacks.

I agree it's always iffy with injuries. That makes Tank Carradine 'iffy'. When Dorsey went down on the 1st play of the TB game, I was very concerned about how this would affect the 49ers chances in the upcoming playoffs, they simply don't have enough depth on DL right now, and they don't have any later. And I'm not saying don't draft any CB's, I'm just saying it wouldn't be a bad idea to get a NT in the first round. Especially in a 'very deep' CB class. And if Culliver recovers, which is more likely than not, they have 3 bonafide NFL CBs, starting caliber, with or without Brown.
Share 49ersWebzone