There are 301 users in the forums

Safety times 2

• Cjez
  • Hall of Fame
i hope we take a safety with 2 of our first 4 picks.
  • teeohh
  • Veteran
I'll guess Eric Reid and Phillip Thomas
Both Swearinger and Cyprien project more as SS's in the NFL...I'm thinking Dahl could slide over to SS in the 2014 season, at least he's a candidate to do that. The problem with taking 2 S is roster spaces...we lost Goldson, and I'd much rather see him replaced by a true FS, which is why Phillip Thomas is so attractive. Dude's a playmaker, which is what Harbaugh's looking for. Terrific all-around game, too...good tackler, good in pass coverage. And, he could arguably be had in late 2nd rd, leaving the first two spots for DL and CB/WR, or who knows. If Baalke's going to double up at any position/group, it should be DL, IMHO. The main reason our secondary was torched at the end of the season and into the playoffs/SB was lack of any consistent pressure on the QB...because the DL was just burned out. Fangio didn't have the confidence in the b/u's to rest his starters. Add a couple of studs like Jesse Williams & Margus Hunt, now we're talking about a DL with some serious depth, which will have a positive impact on the secondary. BL: impact a beefed-up DL can create is significantly greater than what two rookie S could generate, IMHO. This is a great draft for big, versatile DL, and Baalke should pick two of the best, right off the bat.
I like Swearinger. Especially at picks 61 or 74. I view Trenton Robinson as our long term solution at safety. Swearinger would provide competition for Robinson this year, and could take over at SS for Whitner next year.
I want Cyprien and Amerson. Or Cyprien and Thomas. Maybe Reid (though I'm worried about his bust potential for some reason).
Elam and Cyprien
Originally posted by Big_Daddy:
Elam and Cyprien

That would take our first two picks, yeah?
  • KID9R
  • Veteran
The Thomas bros.

Phillip Thomas
Samarko Thomas
  • krizay
  • Veteran
Originally posted by KID9R:
The Thomas bros.

Phillip Thomas
Samarko Thomas

i almost chose shamarko

but for me

Philip Thomas (61)
Josh Evans (93)
Id be happy with those 2 safeties both good hitters and in coverage CYPRIEN/SWEARINGER

• Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Eric Reid and Robert Lester.

I would remove Lester for Phillip Thomas but that would mean our 1st and 2nd picks on our secondary, really doubt that happens.
Originally posted by Rascal:
Originally posted by m_brockalexander:
Sorry, but Goldson wasn't worth $8 million a year. The Niners could almost pay for a regular 7 pick draft class with the same money.

Well, Anthony Davis isn't exactly what you might call cheap neither at $7 mil a year.

Besides, my initial plan was to cut Whitner and Rogers to help pay for Dashon then draft another safety and corner.

Actually the $ 7 million price tag for A. Davis is very reasonable. The franchise tag for offensive tackles is $ 9.83 million (avg of top 5 salaries). Since the Niners resigned a Pro Bowler for roughly 30% less than that number, I call that reasonable.
Originally posted by LieutKaffee:
Originally posted by Big_Daddy:
Elam and Cyprien

That would take our first two picks, yeah?

Yea, first two picks. BUT that's only if they believe they can find good DL prospects later on.
Share 49ersWebzone