There are 248 users in the forums

Mayo's Niners Top 3 picks

Originally posted by NinerBuff:
I like this idea, concise ...

Trade... 49ers get #25 from Minnesota (f/ SEA) for #31 and #93

25. Datone Jones DE
34. Eric Reid FS
61. Aaron Dobson WR

Seems high for Dobson. I don't know much about him, but seen him projected as a 3-4th rounder by most.
  • LVJay
  • Veteran
Originally posted by DonnieDarko:
i dont care about your mock, i just wanna know if you're penis is tingling

WTH!!
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by DonnieDarko:
i dont care about your mock, i just wanna know if you're penis is tingling

My top 3 goes something like this!

31. Datone Jones DE UCLA

34. Brandon Williams DT/NT Missouri Southern

61. Quinton Patton WR Louisiana Tech

Our starting FS is already on the roster IMO, Trent Robinson FS from Michigan State has good ball skills, doesn't mind throwing his body around for Big Hits and can also cover slot receivers due to his speed and overall cover skills!
Originally posted by ftberrien:

31. Datone Jones DE UCLA

Our starting FS is already on the roster IMO, Trent Robinson FS from Michigan State has good ball skills, doesn't mind throwing his body around for Big Hits and can also cover slot receivers due to his speed and overall cover skills!

Also a pleasing first 3 picks.
  • Rascal
  • Veteran
I see a lot of trading up, but if we do trade up, I want a top WR. Still, I am sure Patterson will be out of reach, but I will settle with Justin Hunter.

Then, I am going with a top TE in the 2nd, Zach Ertz shoud be within reach.

By then, Eric Reid will be long gone, I am hoping David Amerson will still be possible (and don't get too hung up about CB Vs Safety, we can always work that out later)

Most might think this is rather extreme. Well, it is and I have my reason. This is my rationale, I strongly believe we must "win now", we have missed out this year's opportunity, to me there is no more time to waste as our key stars between the 2005-2007 draft class are aging now, namely Frank, Vernon and Pat. Sometimes, if the goal is so single-minded with such an extreme time frame, the moves we make might just need to be that much more tactical as opposed to being more strategic with a longer-term view. With that being the premise, I am going all out on the offensive side of the ball. The old adage of defense wins championships is passe in my opinion, besides our D is pretty decent anyway. When you play great teams with a top high-powered offense, no matter how stout your D is they are still going to score on you and may be even score on you big, so you need an offense that can outscore such opponents. Ever since Kaep took over, our offense has literally transformed to the point of being explosive and has even carried our D in numerous games. We just lack a couple of playmakers and it will definitely get us over that hump. Anquan will give us that toughness and clutchness in the passing game. But, we need a legit tall and physical deep threat wideout who can capitalize on Kaep's arm. Also, we have lost Delanie and Zach Ertz is bigger with far better hands and can contribute big in the passing game as well. By all means fix our secondary, that is why I put down David Amerson, other needs can come from lower rounds such as D-line.
Originally posted by ftberrien:

31. Datone Jones DE UCLA

Very nice. I'd be psyched if we got those three guys!
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Rascal:
I see a lot of trading up, but if we do trade up, I want a top WR. Still, I am sure Patterson will be out of reach, but I will settle with Justin Hunter.

By then, Eric Reid will be long gone, I am hoping David Amerson will still be possible (and don't get too hung up about CB Vs Safety, we can always work that out later)

Most might think this is rather extreme. Well, it is and I have my reason. This is my rationale, I strongly believe we must "win now", we have missed out this year's opportunity, to me there is no more time to waste as our key stars between the 2005-2007 draft class are aging now, namely Frank, Vernon and Pat. Sometimes, if the goal is so single-minded with such an extreme time frame, the moves we make might just need to be that much more tactical as opposed to being more strategic with a longer-term view. With that being the premise, I am going all out on the offensive side of the ball. The old adage of defense wins championships is passe in my opinion, besides our D is pretty decent anyway. When you play great teams with a top high-powered offense, no matter how stout your D is they are still going to score on you and may be even score on you big, so you need an offense that can outscore such opponents. Ever since Kaep took over, our offense has literally transformed to the point of being explosive and has even carried our D in numerous games. We just lack a couple of playmakers and it will definitely get us over that hump. Anquan will give us that toughness and clutchness in the passing game. But, we need a legit tall and physical deep threat wideout who can capitalize on Kaep's arm. Also, we have lost Delanie and Zach Ertz is bigger with far better hands and can contribute big in the passing game as well. By all means fix our secondary, that is why I put down David Amerson, other needs can come from lower rounds such as D-line.

You don't want Patterson, too short. The better plan is to stay put and take say a DaRick Rogers in the 3rd.
[ Edited by mayo49 on Apr 4, 2013 at 8:46 AM ]
Honestly, I would like our team to trade out of #31, get an additional 2nd or 3rd plus a future 1st. I'm sure a quarterback-needy team would like to move up and grab Barkley/Nassib.

In the circumstances of getting out of the first round, I'd like our first three picks to look like this:

Brandon Williams (has the potential to be a BJ Raji-type of player on our line)
Phillip Thomas (shows great leadership, toughness, good wrap-up tackler, and a ballhawk)
Da'Rick Rogers (had some off-field issues, but can't deny his talents at the receiver position. potential could be a faster Anquan Boldin)
Originally posted by mayo49:
You don't want Patterson, too short. The better plan is to stay put and take say a DaRick Rodgers in the 3rd.

Da'Rick is one of my draft crushes this year. If he had stayed in Tennessee and stayed out of trouble, he'd be selected in the 1st before Patterson, IMO

• Rascal
  • Veteran

You don't want Patterson, too short. The better plan is to stay put and take say a DaRick Rogers in the 3rd.

Patterson is too short ? The guy is 6'3" !! But, to get him, you won't stand a chance unless you trade all the way to 10th in the 1st. Failing that, I will go for Justin Hunter who is even taller at 6'4". I have looked at Da'Rick Rogers' tapes, is pretty good, but I prefer Justin Hunter's.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran

Patterson is too short ? The guy is 6'3" !! But, to get him, you won't stand a chance unless you trade all the way to 10th in the 1st. Failing that, I will go for Justin Hunter who is even taller at 6'4". I have looked at Da'Rick Rogers' tapes, is pretty good, but I prefer Justin Hunter's.

Wow, I thought he was around 5'10", my fault.
^ rounded up from 6017, Cordarrelle is 6' 2"... just FYI

Wow, I thought he was around 5'10", my fault.

Patton is short, quick and refined

Patterson is a HWS freak who is a monster after the catch, but he is raw and he catches with his body.

IF we were to trade up for a WR, I would want Austin, as he is a unique talent in this draft (still not convinced that LMJ can't do most of what Austin does, even though he doesn't have that crazy speed)

I'd happily go:

Eifert
Reid
Hunt

or

D. Jones
Ertz
D. Rodgers
... Amerson/Wilcox/Williams

or

D. Jones
Reid
Escobar
  • Rascal
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Mr.Mcgibblets:
^ rounded up from 6017, Cordarrelle is 6' 2"... just FYI

Yea, you are right, before the Combine, most sources stated 6'3" and at the Combine he was listed at 6'2".
Share 49ersWebzone