LISTEN: 49ers Play It Smart on Day Two of the Draft →

There are 518 users in the forums

Bennie Logan, DT, LSU

Any thoughts on Logan? Does he fit better as a 4-3 DT or would he be a good pickup as a 3-4 DE? Seems like he was fairly highly-touted and had a bit of a down year in 2012. Also, ESPN seems to have him rated much higher than CBSSports.
Originally posted by mkary12:
Any thoughts on Logan? Does he fit better as a 4-3 DT or would he be a good pickup as a 3-4 DE? Seems like he was fairly highly-touted and had a bit of a down year in 2012. Also, ESPN seems to have him rated much higher than CBSSports.

4-3 DT most definitely.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
4-3 DT most definitely.

I dont think so. I've gotten to figures on his weight 285 and 295. If hes at 285 he would be perfect to lean out for a couple of year to 295 which is the ideal weight for DE. Hes 6'3 and has very explosive hands. He penetrates easily and draws the double team. He pushes off of the double team very well. I think hes really more suited for the 3-4 but because Miles runs him at the 3 tec we don't know any different.
He looks like a guy who can play the run and give you some pressure on the inside and still has plenty of upside. I think he will end up being a rotational type of lineman.
Why not Jesse Williams or Jonathan Hankins...both are big, can play inside or out. Given we're in a hybrid defense most of the time, it makes sense to acquire guys who can play anywhere on the DL. When Justin Smith got hurt, the dependency on him really showed...and no other DL stepped up to pick the slack. Draft a couple of bad asses and bring in a vet DL like Randy Starks, another guy who can play anywhere on the DL, and well. We've got to get stronger up front and upgrade our secondary if we want to get back to the SB.
Originally posted by CorvaNinerFan:
Why not Jesse Williams or Jonathan Hankins...both are big, can play inside or out. Given we're in a hybrid defense most of the time, it makes sense to acquire guys who can play anywhere on the DL. When Justin Smith got hurt, the dependency on him really showed...and no other DL stepped up to pick the slack. Draft a couple of bad asses and bring in a vet DL like Randy Starks, another guy who can play anywhere on the DL, and well. We've got to get stronger up front and upgrade our secondary if we want to get back to the SB.

Your question isn't relevant. Bennie logan isn't in the discussion for the 1st rd pick. Consensus is jesse williams, hankins, or Jenkins. Logan might make it to the caro pick therefore is worthy of speculation.
Were not a hybrid defense. We may drop the NT on passing down nothing is hybrid about that.
I've been a big proponent of drafting DL in the 1st and 2nd. But the more I think about it, the more I like the idea of targeting a NT early, and a talented rotational DE in the 3rd or 4th. Logan looks like he could be that kind of player. It doesn't matter who the Niners draft at DE, it is not likely that they will beat out Justin Smith as a starter. Maybe if they hit a really lucky pick a rookie MIGHT beat out McDonald. But I think it is much more likely that a rookie DE will rotate in to give them some rest.

Can Logan be a rotational 3/4 DE who could be groomed to take over the starting DE spot like when McDonald was a rookie?
Originally posted by Butter:
I've been a big proponent of drafting DL in the 1st and 2nd. But the more I think about it, the more I like the idea of targeting a NT early, and a talented rotational DE in the 3rd or 4th. Logan looks like he could be that kind of player. It doesn't matter who the Niners draft at DE, it is not likely that they will beat out Justin Smith as a starter. Maybe if they hit a really lucky pick a rookie MIGHT beat out McDonald. But I think it is much more likely that a rookie DE will rotate in to give them some rest.

Can Logan be a rotational 3/4 DE who could be groomed to take over the starting DE spot like when McDonald was a rookie?
One of the better prospects no one is talking about imo. He has good size at 6'2" 309. Put up 30 reps despite 34" arms. He might be able to play both the 5 tech and possibly at NT as he gets stronger, as well as inside on our 4-man fronts. He played all over the line at LSU. Combine numbers compare favorably to Sharriff Floyd's. Didn't run at the combine, but he looks pretty fast on tape. Solid 4.9 guy probably.

One of his strengths is using his long arms to bat down passes. I think a weakness is he doesn't anticipate the snap count well; doesn't always get a quick jump off the line. This is something he should be able to improve. Will he be available at 61?

Videos for anyone who's interested.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gpLIcE5cqtY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zcgwiqI3eoE
Definitesly got pushed back a lot by Chance Warmack in the BCS game, but still made some plays.
[ Edited by SammyFrancisco on Mar 15, 2013 at 11:53 AM ]
Share 49ersWebzone