There are 286 users in the forums

49ers draft board, skill positions, and draft strategy

Looking at the way the draft unfolded, I really think that when the 49ers had completed all their scouting this year, they had Jenkins and James as the best WR and RB in this draft not named Blackmon and Richardson. I know the first two rounds didn't go the way we all mocked them, but the more I think about it the more I think Harbaugh and Baalke are legitimately THRILLED with this draft.

The only thing that remains to be seen is whether these two players have careers that justify the high grades the 49ers put on them. But for now, it seems they executed it perfectly. They couldn't even trade down for Jenkins because they knew the Rams were going to take him. That's genius. They started moving around the draft board as soon as they could, beginning in round 3.

This draft was a work of art!
agreed. I love both Jenkins and James picks. I see Jenkins as a nice #2 when he starts getting in the mix, and James is a potential starter, or a 1 and 2 punch with Hunter. James will be our Darren Sproles, can't wait to see how he does in preseason. Wish August was here already, I love football, my favorite sport.

Baalke did this draft perfectly. He didn't listen to what people thought, including fans. He knows what the team needs, not a flashy draft, but one that helps with depth and new dimension to the offense. I think outside of the 1st and 2nd rd picks, my favorite pick is Darius Fleming, I'm a notre dame guy, and I like this guy, good pass rusher, and will be a core Special Teamer on sundays.

I am hoping Cam Johnson comes in with a chip on his shoulder and makes the team as a DE/OLB tweener.
What do you think about what MD said about moving Fleming inside?
Originally posted by LieutKaffee:
What do you think about what MD said about moving Fleming inside?

I dont know about that, Fleming is more of a pass rusher, maybe in the future I guess, since Grant and Gooden are set at ILB IMO with Willis and Bowman as starters. Fleming is my top candidate to take Haralson's spot. If It was me, which it isn't, I would cut Haralson, or he takes a pay cut. $2.45M is too much for a 3rd OLB. Plus it would save $2.87M in 2013, which would help to retain Andy Lee and Delanie Walker, might not be enough for both, but would help towards it.
We should absolutely cut Haralson.

You bring up Sproles, and a backfield with Hunter, James, and Gore reminds me of the Saints three-headed monster from a year ago.
We should absolutely cut Haralson.

You bring up Sproles, and a backfield with Hunter, James, and Gore reminds me of the Saints three-headed monster from a year ago.

I agree on both. We have Sproles like in James, so quick and speedy. The guy who doesn't look fast but has a burst and is gone in Gore and a change of pace in Hunter, I wonder how Jacobs fits in to this.
I think Jacobs is the one who only sees 1-4 carries per game. He might be the go-to on 4th and inches.
I also ee Dixon waving goodbye.

Excellent strategy. I'd hate to play poker w/Baalke.

Totally agree w/LieutKaffee - Both Baalke & JH were eThrilled. Especially JH - he couldn't hide it.

The play calling this year will be off the charts.
Originally posted by AB83Rules:
I dont know about that, Fleming is more of a pass rusher, maybe in the future I guess, since Grant and Gooden are set at ILB IMO with Willis and Bowman as starters. Fleming is my top candidate to take Haralson's spot. If It was me, which it isn't, I would cut Haralson, or he takes a pay cut. $2.45M is too much for a 3rd OLB. Plus it would save $2.87M in 2013, which would help to retain Andy Lee and Delanie Walker, might not be enough for both, but would help towards it.

I think we could cut Haralson if Fleming proves worthy, but I am just not sure. Aldon was pretty awful at the beginning of the year in run support, and although he got better, Haralson played outstanding on 1st and 2nd down throughout the season, definitely the best football he has ever played and is a great backup. Maybe we could trade the guy this year or get him to take a pay cut? He would be a legit OLB in a 4-3 imo.
I wonder if Haralson has trade value. Do you think we could get a 5th for him next year??

I wonder if Haralson has trade value. Do you think we could get a 5th for him next year??

I think a 5th is reasonable for Haralson, who can start, but isn't gonna here, and isn't needed with his salary. Other than that I like Haralson.
The only reason guys are not "RAVING" about the draft picks we made is that they don't like as good physically as some of the other guys. Jenkins and James are on the smaller side.......however you can make the case that James had the best production in college of any back 6.6 yards, over 5000 yards, 53 touchdowns and Jenkins had a monster year this year had over 52% of the teams passing yards with over 90 catches and 1200 yards. Think about if jenkins played with Weeden, Griffin or Luck.....GOOD NIGHT, consensus overall pick.

I've watched the other WR's

Blackmon, Jeffrey, Sanu - those guys will have trouble getting separation.
Floyd is big but doesn't run as fast as his 40 4.47 at the combine
Quick played in division 2, and runs a 4.55
Randle isn't fast, and looked slow in college from what I saw.
Hill is one dimensional and has 49 catches his entire career

Jenkins is smoother, a better route runner, and as fast as all of those guys but he doesn't have prototypical size. I actually like that we didn't go with the consensus pick.

I think James pushes at Slot Reciever, 3rd down back, goal line back, screens, etc. He has the best hands of the Rb's right now and he's the fastest.

Yeah I think Baalke knows what he's doing.
[ Edited by Oldschool9erfan on Apr 29, 2012 at 5:20 PM ]
I think their main objective was to add as many explosive playmakers they could. RG was a need, but at no point last year did i think "man...if we only had a RG this offense will really take off." The front office did a great job getting guys who are big play threats. Couple that with continued improvement at QB, and this offense can really do some dynamic things this year.
Originally posted by SofaKing:
I think their main objective was to add as many explosive playmakers they could. RG was a need, but at no point last year did i think "man...if we only had a RG this offense will really take off." The front office did a great job getting guys who are big play threats. Couple that with continued improvement at QB, and this offense can really do some dynamic things this year.

The webzoners did not know that the 49ers wanted to get the ball to the outside, spread out the defenders, go with more multiple Wr sets, get more than 3 yards and a cloud of dust. The zoners, including me thought the niners wanted to go with a two headed TE attack similar to NE and the Stanford Cardinal. If that was the case the multiple mocks with Fleener and best OG would be feasible. It was not the case.

They also appeared to have read bill walshs book about drafting guards in later rounds. Get the skill guys earlier in the draft.
Share 49ersWebzone