There are 207 users in the forums

OnTheClock's Early Christmas Present Mock

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Merry Christmas, you filthy animals."

Here's what we've got in the bag today as far as speculating on how Baalke will fix this team's deficiencies. But first.. a FEW NOTES. PLEASE READ.

* I do not expect us to target a corner early. Why? Because we drafted Culliver early for a reason this year, AND with so many CB's on one-year deals, I believe if we want to upgrade we will sign a free agent and re-up Rogers going with: Rogers, Culliver, FA, Brown, Rookie*, Brock. We are developing the guy we want as a future starter -- Culliver -- so I believe we will upgrade other positions while focus more on depth instead of starters at CB.

* With us expected to re-sign Morgan, I think we will only draft two WR's if there turns out to be a BPA with a WR sitting there late.

2012 NFL Draft

1. Dwight Jones-WR-North Carolina, 6-4 225 4.53
We badly need a big, sure-handed, leaping threat of a receiver who can go up and get the deep JUMP balls. Deep speed is nice, but some people forget that if you have great height and leaping ability, the deep jump ball (Think Fitzgerald) becomes a play in your arsenal. Jones has come on strong as a starter with two great years since the departures of players like Nicks and Brandon Tate, this year totaling over 1100 yards and 11 TDs. He's much better than Greg Little, especially in the hands department, and Little went in the second round. Some people predict Jones will be a 2nd rounder after the influx of juniors, but I expect him to crack the first round based on his talent level.

2. Ben Jones-C-Georgia, 6-3 316 5.26
Ben Jones, the best senior center in this class, is likely to be available if certain underclassmen interior linemen declare. He would be a heck of an upgrade and solidification for the future of our OL, likely being able to start at either OG or C right away. Rachal is certainly not coming back and we could use a new starter and depth in the interior, especially if Snyder does not re-sign. Jones plays in the always tough SEC and would be a tremendously promising player to add to our currently weak OL.

3. Aaron Henry-FS-Wisconsin, 6-0 210 4.52

I worry we may let Goldson walk because of his likely very high asking price. That said, we may target a safety early if we can't find a FA replacement. Henry fits the blue-collar mold that we seem to be looking for and is a guy who seems to just quietly play solid football. Like Goldson, he is a former CB that transition to FS so you know he brings with him coverage skills and range. He had a knack for making big plays last year -- all three turnovers he caused were touchdowns. 2 INT for TDs and 1 FR for a TD. This year he has three interceptions and has been good in supporting the run with 3 TFL. Henry is a guy who I see as having potential to do good things, but I think he'd need a year before he would really start to play at a starter-level in the NFL.

4. Jacquies Smith-OLB-Missouri, 6-3 255 4.62
Smith has had some injuries, but overall has been a pretty solid player. He's very similar to Aldon Smith (and no, they're not related), except he might be even faster. He has a little more experience dropping into coverage than Aldon did at Mizzou, and Jacquies has a fair amount of potential to develop into an explosive player because he has the work ethic and raw tools you look for -- athleticism, strength, knowledge of leverage. This year, he has 5 sacks, 8 TFL, and 4 FF. He and Aldon would make a great NFL tandem.

5. Derek Wolfe-DE-Cincinnati, 6-5 300 5.16
Adding would would be huge to bolstering our DL depth. I worry he may continue to rise and not be here after being name Big East Co-Defensive Player of the year, but if he is, we seriously need to consider adding this kid. Not only would help continue our dominance in stopping the run (he was Cincy's best player on a defense that dominated opposing running backs, allowing only 92 yards per game), he can also get after the passer. Wolfe not only has been productive (9.5 sacks, 19.5 TFL, 2 FF, 1 FR), he is a tall guy who can knock down passes and get in the lanes. We have no one with his kind of height on the line currently.

6. Trumaine Johnson-CB-Montana, 6-2 204 4.52
We all know Baalke clearly has no problem pulling players from small schools (Kilgore, Person), and if the last draft is any indication, it seems he can find some pretty good value here. Johnson's stock took a hit due to some character concerns, but he can flat out play. He possesses a great frame for press coverage and he uses it -- receivers have a hard time getting off the line. Johnson's character and small school status hurt him, but his technically sound play and production (5 interceptions last year) make him a guy the 49ers could target, as they could use some DB depth next season.

7. Kelcie McCray-S-Arkansas State, 6-1 195 4.48
Simply put, we need speed in the defensive backfield. McCray has been a playmaker at Arkansas St. and has four interceptions this season, 10 for his career so far. As noted a moment ago, we need speed and he's got it. Reggie Smith will be gone most likely and I believe we'll search for replacement depth this year.
im just happy were taking a wr in the 1st
Drafting a C in the 2nd round scares me, even if I know nothing about him.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
If this draft happens OTC, I will sacrifice a virgin for you!!!! (in a non-violent way) .
Originally posted by Kolohe:
If this draft happens OTC, I will sacrifice a virgin for you!!!! (in a non-violent way) .

If we had this draft I would volunteer but afraid that ship sailed decades ago.
Love the McCray pick Iv'e got to see this kid play as I live within twenty minutes of ASU stadium in Jonesboro, AR. He is an absolute beast with the competition he's playing against. Haven't heard much of the first pick but I am a fan of big bodied recievers who can block downfield. I would also consider Kendall Wright of Baylor, another reciever who can flat out play however he is a small guy.
  • dj43
Jones' size would be a good fit against that Seattle secondary. Those guys have size that will punish smaller guys coming across the field.
Originally posted by dhp318:
Drafting a C in the 2nd round scares me, even if I know nothing about him.

Why?

I offer an alternative: You can just send me a 49er-themed Christmas card next year.
Originally posted by OnTheClock:

I offer an alternative: You can just send me a 49er-themed Christmas card next year.

2012. San Francisco will hold the record for the most players with the last name "Smith" on their active roster. lol
  • fryet
  • Veteran
No TE? Considering how much we use TE, I would draft a TE in the first before I would draft a WR (I wouldn't draft either). With Morgan and Crabtree starting, I don't think we need to spend a first on a WR.
  • dj43
Originally posted by fryet:
No TE? Considering how much we use TE, I would draft a TE in the first before I would draft a WR (I wouldn't draft either). With Morgan and Crabtree starting, I don't think we need to spend a first on a WR.
I agree we need to address the TE position. I started a thread about that here. I would like to see what some of the draftniks have to say about the upcoming TE prospects.
Originally posted by dj43:
I agree we need to address the TE position. I started a thread about that here. I would like to see what some of the draftniks have to say about the upcoming TE prospects.

I do not anticipate us looking at a TE in the draft, at least not early at all. Not only do we have Nate Byham coming back, who is a great blocking tight end with hands as well, but we have a developing Reuland who Harbaugh really likes, on the the practice squad. If Reuland has developed his blocking ability, he will likely already be an upgrade over Peele. He definitely has better hands than Delanie. Byham certainly is an upgrade in both areas over Peele.
  • dj43
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
Originally posted by dj43:

I do not anticipate us looking at a TE in the draft, at least not early at all. Not only do we have Nate Byham coming back, who is a great blocking tight end with hands as well, but we have a developing Reuland who Harbaugh really likes, on the the practice squad. If Reuland has developed his blocking ability, he will likely already be an upgrade over Peele. He definitely has better hands than Delanie. Byham certainly is an upgrade in both areas over Peele.

I appreciate your response and I agree these guys may upgrade the #3 position.

What I would like is someone who is a more versatile pass catching threat than Vernon Davis. Davis has been a non-factor in the offense most of the year. Combination of being held in to block and double teamed when he does go out. In addition, he does not make hot reads well nor adjust his routes. So while better performance by the WRs on the outside might relieve the double team, it still leaves him as a limited threat in hot read situations, a major component of what the TE should do.

I would be willing to trade Davis for either a high draft pick or a player to fill a key need if we could get a versatile pass catcher in the draft. Byham could take over the blocking duties that Davis now does leaving a draftee to play a Jimmy Graham/Antonio Gates/Jermichael Finley role.

Any thoughts along that line?
Share 49ersWebzone