LISTEN: 49ers Play It Smart on Day Two of the Draft →

There are 183 users in the forums

The 49ers gave DT Phil Taylor a clean bill of health

Quote:
Phil Taylor is going to be fine -- he thinks.

One of the last remaining stories before the draft is the condition of the right foot of Baylor defensive tackle Phil Taylor, probably the best nose tackle in this draft. Ten days ago, it was reported Taylor had a problem with two bones growing together in the foot, a problem surgery was unlikely to help. But last week, Taylor was examined by San Francisco team doctors and given an X-ray, and he said he was told the foot was not a problem. In fact, the team gave the foot a clean bill of health, and the only health-related question the Niners had was about an old shoulder injury that also isn't considered a problem.

"That report came out of left field,'' Taylor said. "I haven't had any pain in my foot. There's nothing wrong with it. And those doctors [in San Francisco] confirmed that, so now nobody should have any questions about it.''

Taylor could get picked anywhere between 21 (Kansas City) and 32 (Green Bay). It's unlikely, given the number of 3-4 teams late in the first round, that he'll last until the second round. He can play the nose or, in a pinch, defensive end in the 3-4, or tackle in the 4-3, though it's most likely he'd be a match for a 3-4 team that likes to use its nose in a versatile way. Vince Wilfork sliding outside in New England comes to mind. Taylor's been linked to the Jets (picking 30th), which would be a good fit with Rex Ryan. He might be a poor man's Haloti Ngata.

"I don't watch much football on TV,'' Taylor said, "but I know what the Jets do, and that'd be a great fit for me. I'd love to be there.''

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/writers/peter_king/04/26/mail/index.html#ixzz1KjH5lSE4
Is who you want?
I wouldnt mind trading back and getting OLB Brooks Reed and NT Phil Taylor
Anyone what to talk about the possibility that there might not even be a season next year. so drafting a NT and having him sit a year might not be the smartest move a team can make with a 1st round pick?
Originally posted by Frisco69ers:
I wouldnt mind trading back and getting OLB Brooks Reed and NT Phil Taylor

WORD....
Originally posted by Aussie49er:
Anyone what to talk about the possibility that there might not even be a season next year. so drafting a NT and having him sit a year might not be the smartest move a team can make with a 1st round pick?

Originally posted by PTulini:

Why because I explore a possibility that others seem to want to ignore. By the sounds of people in this forum, this draft is like every other.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
We need to come out of this draft with Phil Taylor. Its time we stop effing around and make up for the loss of Vinc Wilfork.....no I'm not over that.
Would be nice pick for da 49ers!
Originally posted by Kolohe:
We need to come out of this draft with Phil Taylor. Its time we stop effing around and make up for the loss of Vinc Wilfork.....no I'm not over that.

we would have to trade up for him

• susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
In all honesty I could really care less about a NT, the league shifting to a more passing league. You gotta have guys who can rush the passer and who can cover the fast WRs.
Is who you want?

I'm not saying that I want to draft Phil Taylor. I just wanted to pass this along.
Trade back and get the biatch!

Do you guys have no idea how desperate we are for a NT? Willis can't we Willis without it.
Originally posted by ninertico:
Trade back and get the biatch!

That's the reason we brought him in. I really think it's connected to the Eagles and Kolb.

Anyone know if trades for players will be allowed on draft day? I doubt it'll be allowed, but just curious.
Share 49ersWebzone