There are 223 users in the forums

3rd round

I don't even know who I want here. Every other pick I at least WANT someone.

In the first I wish PP falls. In the 2nd, I want either CP, AD, or JL. Even Kaepernick maybe. In the 4th I want the Stanford fullback. With the other 4th round pick I want a few other prospects. In the 5th a kicker--Henry preferably. McCelroy, later on. But in the 3rd I have NO idea! Anyone have a 3rd round prospect they'd like to see us pick up?
Originally posted by RollinWith21n52:
I don't even know who I want here. Every other pick I at least WANT someone.

In the first I wish PP falls. In the 2nd, I want either CP, AD, or JL. Even Kaepernick maybe. In the 4th I want the Stanford fullback. With the other 4th round pick I want a few other prospects. In the 5th a kicker--Henry preferably. McCelroy, later on. But in the 3rd I have NO idea! Anyone have a 3rd round prospect they'd like to see us pick up?

an OLB would be nice if we got Peterson in the first and Dalton or one of the other guys in the second
For whatever reason, there will be a plethora of solid CBs in the third, Dowling being one of them. He gets healthy, he could be a steal...you know, like another 3rd rounder whose knees cost him first round status. Just like Gore, I hope we could land him in the third if we don't get Peterson.

Or, why not both and trade Spencer.

Just like the old days...two rookie corners. Wouldn't that be something?

Just sayin...
Originally posted by ninertico:
For whatever reason, there will be a plethora of solid CBs in the third, Dowling being one of them. He gets healthy, he could be a steal...you know, like another 3rd rounder whose knees cost him first round status. Just like Gore, I hope we could land him in the third if we don't get Peterson.

Or, why not both and trade Spencer.

Just like the old days...two rookie corners. Wouldn't that be something?

Just sayin...

Gotta like this post, for the plethora and the thoughts! This is why I could see them going OLB with the first and waiting for a CB. Sure not opposed to two CBs though!
but with no NT or OLBs, these rookie CBs will have quite a tough time...
If we miss out on Kaepernick and Dalton in the 2nd, then Ricky Stanzi will be there in the 3rd.

Jerrell Powe, NT outta Ole Miss should be there as well.

Some corners that might be available: Ras-I Dowling, Rashad Carmichael, Jalil Brown

Safety help? How about Deunta Williams out of UNC.
I think in the first 3 rounds we will pick a CB, OLB and QB. I'm assuming CB/OLB in the 1st, QB in the 2nd and then whatever we don't pick in the first in the 3rd.

Here are some names that might be there at 76 but not guaranteed.

Andy Dalton, QB, TCU
Ricky Stanzi, QB, Iowa
Pat Devlin, QB, Delaware

Ras-I Dowling CB
Johnny Patrick, CB, Louisville
Brandon Burton, CB, Utah
Davon House, CB, New Mexico State
Curtis Marsh, CB, Utah State
Curtis Brown, CB, Texas
Jalil Brown, CB, Colorado
Rashad Carmichael, CB, Virginia Tech
Brandon Hogan, CB, West Virginia

Dontay Moch, OLB, Nevada
Chris Carter, OLB, Fresno State
Jabaal Sheard, OLB, Pittsburgh
Greg Romeus, OLB, Pittsburgh
Mason Foster, OLB, Washington

Other Options:
Greg Little, WR, North Carolina
Dwayne Harris, WR, ECU
Tandon Doss, WR, Indiana
Vincent Brown, WR, San Diego St
Cecil Shorts, WR, Mount Union
Ronald Johnson, WR, USC
Austin Pettis, WR, Boise St.

Jarvis Jenkins, DE, Clemson
Jurrell Casey, DE, USC

Clint Boling, OG, Georgia
John Moffitt, OG, Wisconsin
William Rackley, OG, Lehigh
James Carpenter, OG, Alabama

Deunta Williams, FS, North Carolina
Jaiquawn Jarrett, FS, Temple
Marcus Gilchrist, FS, Clemson
Jeron Johnson, FS, Boise St.
Robert Sands, FS, West Virginia

Kenrick Ellis, NT, Hampton
Jerrell Powe, NT, Mississippi
Sione Fua, NT, Stanford
We could be looking at any number of player/position possibilities in the 3rd based on how the 1st and 2nd rounds shake out.

any of the following would make me happy:

Curtis Brown - CB
Davon House - CB
Dontay Moch - OLB
Jordan Toddman - RB
Kendal Hunter - RB
Jerrel Powe - NT
The Niners could go a million different directions. In the end, I think the team is not going to have a third rounder, as they will need to trade up from the second round (they are below a cart load of QB-starved teams) to get the QB they really want.

The Niners are really stuck in a tough spot in this draft. They have to draft a CB high in the draft, because it is highly doubtful the team is going to have Clements on the roster this season. So, they need to find a CB who can step in right away.

However, is Prince good value at 7? I don't even factor Peterson, since the Cowboys are going to leapfrog us if he begins to head toward our pick.

In the end, unless Jimmy Smith becomes a good citizen, or one of the other second-tier CB's miraculously improves on film and in their workout, Prince is a 49er.

If I were a betting man, I'd say the team ends up with a Prince-Dalton (I think Harbaugh will see a clone of himself in Dalton) combo, and no third rounder due to the trade up to get Dalton. The team does have two fourth rounders to play with, and I think they could go OLB and an interior lineman at that point, and still get good value.

The Nate Clements situation, and the unresolved QB dilemma, really puts the Niners in a tough spot, since there are so many outstanding 3-4 DE prospects in this draft. JJ Watt and Cameron Heyward are going to be outstanding pros, and it is going to hurt seeing their productivity with another team.
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
The Niners could go a million different directions. In the end, I think the team is not going to have a third rounder, as they will need to trade up from the second round (they are below a cart load of QB-starved teams) to get the QB they really want.

The Niners are really stuck in a tough spot in this draft. They have to draft a CB high in the draft, because it is highly doubtful the team is going to have Clements on the roster this season. So, they need to find a CB who can step in right away.

However, is Prince good value at 7? I don't even factor Peterson, since the Cowboys are going to leapfrog us if he begins to head toward our pick.

In the end, unless Jimmy Smith becomes a good citizen, or one of the other second-tier CB's miraculously improves on film and in their workout, Prince is a 49er.

If I were a betting man, I'd say the team ends up with a Prince-Dalton (I think Harbaugh will see a clone of himself in Dalton) combo, and no third rounder due to the trade up to get Dalton. The team does have two fourth rounders to play with, and I think they could go OLB and an interior lineman at that point, and still get good value.

The Nate Clements situation, and the unresolved QB dilemma, really puts the Niners in a tough spot, since there are so many outstanding 3-4 DE prospects in this draft. JJ Watt and Cameron Heyward are going to be outstanding pros, and it is going to hurt seeing their productivity with another team.

Hey, you won't hear me crying on draft day (well, we'll see how the board shakes out ) if that were to happen. Though.. it would be difficult watching the team part with a 3rd, knowing the huge risk of missing out on some higher-tier pass-rushers at least in terms of potential.

Originally posted by MadDog49er:

Do you think they will have to trade back in the late 1st or early 2nd? If it's the late 1st I think they would have to give up their 2nd and 3rd rounder this year. I can't remember if the Broncos gave up a 2nd,3rd, and 4th to get Tebow or just a 2nd and 3rd.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
1. Patrick Peterson

2. Phil Taylor

3. Ricky Stanzi

4. Jeremy Beal, Sam Acho, Cliff Matthews
  • 9moon
  • Veteran
it all depends on who we've drafted both in the 1st and 2nd round.. but personally i think this is the position we should expect to be drafted..

QB - DL - CB (which ever order that may be)
I wouldn't rule an OL out of the question in the first three rounds, and a HUGE possibility by the fourth.

Has everyone forgotten how horribly inconsistent Rachal has been? Has everyone forgotten the snap into the back of the end zone by Baas? Has everyone forgotten that Eric Heitmann now has on his resume broken legs on each side AND a neck injury?

Ideally, I would only want to keep the following on the team: Staley, Boone, Anthony Davis, Wragge, Snyder, Baas, Iupati. We can easily upgrade over Rachal at least.

Cuts/FA Losses: Barry Sims (FA), Rachal (cut or at least benched), Heitmann (cut or at least benched)

[ Edited by OnTheClock on Mar 25, 2011 at 15:07:26 ]
  • 9moon
  • Veteran
Baas is the future in the middle of our OL.. so what if he made that one mistake? Just look at how well he played for the rest of the year..
Share 49ersWebzone