There are 184 users in the forums

My 2011 Niner Draft

I think we will go with a defense heavy draft. The holes on offense, imo, should be filled through FA. There are no QB's that can start right away in the draft, so we must find a stop gap until we can develop one. With all the questions surrounding FA its hard to figure what we can do. So lets concentrate on the draft.

1. Von Miller OLB 6'3 240lbs TX A&M- Monster passrusher that we need

2. Davon House CB 6'0 185lbs New Mexico St.- Solid in man coverage which Fangio likes

3. Kendrick Ellis NT 6'5 335lbs Hampton- A monster of a NT. Hope we resign Franklin, but Ellis is a good insurance policy.

4a. Owen Marecic FB 6'0 245lbs Stanford-Bruising FB and will be a core specialteamer.

4b. Alex Henery K 6'0 180lbs Nebraska- Nedney has failed to finish last 2 seasons and Henery is the best kicker coming out of college in years.

5. Greg Romeus OLB 6'5 270lbs PITT- Like Greg Hardy last year, had an injury plagued senoir season that should drop him to the 5th round.

6a. S. Tolzien QB 6'2 210lbs WISC- Tough, accurate and came from a pro style offense. Has average size and arm strength. I think he could thrive in the WCO. His offensive coordinator at Wisconsin, is the brother of our QB coach. High character guy.

6b. Da'Rel Scott RB 5'11 205lbs Maryland- Quick and fast, should be a good complement to Gore and Dixon.

6c. Brandon Hogan CB 5'11 190lbs WV- Trade our 2 7th rounders to move up to get this guy.TOUGH AS NAILS! Don't know the whole story, but he tried to play in WV bowl game, knowing he had a complete ACL tear. Won't be ready for the combine and will more than likely start the year on the PUP list. But there is no denying his love for the game.
We can get 6c as a RFA. I would rather get Kealoha Pilares Sr wr out of Hawaii, Miles Austin kind of guy.
Originally posted by 49ersNoKaOi:
We can get 6c as a RFA. I would rather get Kealoha Pilares Sr wr out of Hawaii, Miles Austin kind of guy.

Unlikely, as he was rated by alot to be a 3/4th rounder before the injury. And remember, until CBA gets signed, you can't sign free agents, including undrafted FA.
I wouldn't mind drafting a WR, but we don't have a single WR that has been in the league for 5 years. Some more veterans would be nice.
Originally posted by mtminer:

Unlikely, as he was rated by alot to be a 3/4th rounder before the injury. And remember, until CBA gets signed, you can't sign free agents, including undrafted FA.
I wouldn't mind drafting a WR, but we don't have a single WR that has been in the league for 5 years. Some more veterans would be nice.

I just don't see a productive vet out there that can come in and contribute. I like Crabs and Morgan as starters, I don't like that Ginn is 3rd mainly because of his hands and he is too small. If we had K.P. he could be our 3rd, soft hands, quickness, a perfect slot body and Ginn could come in to strech the field. What if crabs or Morgan go down, Ginn starts? That is a joke. We need to add someone wether it's a FA or through the draft. If the draft is first we should get a WR.
Nice mock and shores up important parts of the defense.
You ever watch Tolzien? I think he's a solid prospect, but man it'd be frustrating to watch that throwing motion every week. It's like some mutated form of Philip Rivers and David Carrs throwing motion. Yucky.

Terrible comparison
Originally posted by SWAGG-ER:

Terrible comparison

Terrible explanation

Terrible comparison

Terrible explanation

Miles Austin is 6'2 215

Kealoha Pilares is 5'10 205

Austin is also a considerably better route runner and goes in and out of his breaks better than any WR in the nfl. IMO.

Terrible comparison

Terrible explanation

Miles Austin is 6'2 215

Kealoha Pilares is 5'10 205

Austin is also a considerably better route runner and goes in and out of his breaks better than any WR in the nfl. IMO.

A few inches? 10lbs? Pound can be added, I said he was a Miles Austin kind of a guy, not Miles Austin himself.
5 years in the league I would hope he would be a "considerably better route runner"
I was talking about his style of play(not so much build), good hands, good burst, good in and out of his cuts and route running, understandably wont be as good right away as a player who has been in the league 5 years.
[ Edited by 49ersNoKaOi on Feb 16, 2011 at 10:04 PM ]

You ever watch Tolzien? I think he's a solid prospect, but man it'd be frustrating to watch that throwing motion every week. It's like some mutated form of Philip Rivers and David Carrs throwing motion. Yucky.

Yeah, it does look pretty funky.
Nice mock it's realistic.

I really hope we get Henery. Most accurate college kicker in history with a big leg too.
Like the position picks, just not the order. Think the Niners can do a whole lot better than Tolzien as their 3rd QB. Like Henery, but a 4th round pick? One round too early. Still, nice work.
Originally posted by m_brockalexander:
Like the position picks, just not the order. Think the Niners can do a whole lot better than Tolzien as their 3rd QB. Like Henery, but a 4th round pick? One round too early. Still, nice work.

I think a 4th makes sense. You could mock him going one round later but that's less realistic imo. Henery appears to be the best kicking prospect to come along in a while.

Nate Kaeding was a 3rd rounder
Janikowski was a 1st rounder (a shocker but not unprecedented)
Share 49ersWebzone