LISTEN: 49ers Play It Smart on Day Two of the Draft →

There are 285 users in the forums

West Coast Offense...And The NCAA Quarterbacks That Could Be A Perfect Fit

Originally posted by Goldrushknight:
Originally posted by greywolf447:
That's funny. I just was looking this kid up. Here is a couple of video's. Funny thing is that he went to Delaware just like Jim's big bro's QB. He has already drawn comparisons to Joe Flacco. I would like this pick!!!

No thank you. This guy is going to suck at the next level. Weak arm no athletic ability. Harbaugh will pass!!!

You see no athletic ability with kid and call other people blind ??? . . .
Ricky Stanzi

Originally posted by Marvin49:
Originally posted by Oskiwaski49:
That's funny. I just was looking this kid up. Here is a couple of video's. Funny thing is that he went to Delaware just like Jim's big bro's QB. He has already drawn comparisons to Joe Flacco. I would like this pick!!!

Wow he releases that ball so fast. He reminds me of drew brees.

The release is one of the main reasons I like him so much.

LOL at the vid clips of Devlin pwning the likes of West Chester, South Dakota State, and Lehigh.

You forgot the part where Devlin came up short in the big game running 8 times for 17 yds and throwing for 0 TDs and 1 INT vs. Eastern Washington in the Championship game. Eastern Washington couldn't play with about 100 of the 120 FBS teams yet they proved too much for Devlin.

Aren't there a lot of red flags here? Strength of schedule and having his worst performance in the season's biggest game being two of them.
  • mod
  • Veteran
If you dont love Amuricuh then LEEEVE IT!
Originally posted by SF69ers:
Ricky Stanzi

I swear if we get this guy I would be pumped.
Originally posted by carias416:
Tyrod Taylor, DS #10 QB, Virginia Tech
Height: 6-1 Weight: 212
Position: QB Pos2: ATH
Class/Draft Year: Sr/2011
40 Time: 4.55 40 Low: 4.48 40 High: 4.67
Projected Round: 5-6 Stock:
Rated number 10 out of 119 QB's

LMAO a poor mans Troy Smith is better than Tyrod Taylor. Have fun if you want more inconsistent play at QB. This guy folds when he plays big name competition. ACC football is weak especially for QB's. Phillip Rivers is the only name worth mentioning from ACC QB's.
Originally posted by NC49erfan82:
Originally posted by SF69ers:
Ricky Stanzi

I swear if we get this guy I would be pumped.

Yup, I'm starting to think that we better jump back into the 2nd round to get him. He might really impress at the Senior Bowl.
Originally posted by WillistheWall:
Originally posted by BrianGO:
Originally posted by ninerlifer:
Im totally good with Devlin in the 2nd round....however, I beleive we may have to trade up....becuase there will be many teams ahead of us, that if they hadnt have taken a QB in the 1st, and still need a QB will take him.

Possibly....but I have a feeling that both Mallett and Locker will be sitting there at the top of round 2.

Hopefully someone will pull the trigger on one of them

I REALLY like Devlin. I like how little his feet move, I like how quick his release is, I like how quickly he's making decisions and I like how he threw 22 TDs and 2 INTs this past year.

I think he has "Jim Harbaugh Project" written all over him.

I only have watched the highlights like most people, but can someone explain to me something negative about this guy?

1) He might have the best pocket presence I've ever seen.
2) He certainly throws a very accurate ball, both with arm and with touch.
3) He has a good arm.
4) He seems really smart, with a good head in interviews.
5) He has a tight, quick release, and passes the eye test.

IMO all the other quarterbacks in the draft play like chickens with their heads cut off in comparison when watching their highlight films. In many of the other quarterbacks highlights, I didn't see a single pass completed from a tight pocket, not ONE single pass.

So he played at a small school, but is that it? I am really confused because this guy's highlights seem to blow the other quarterbacks away.

I think it's because he checks the ball down a lot and doesn't throw it deep very much, and he takes like all of his snaps from the shotgun. But yeah, he could be a real good prospect for us.

I agree, its very dangerous when looking at college QB's who take snaps from the shotgun exclusively, but the reason its dangerous is that the shotgun usually provides the quarterback with a different pocket, and most successful shotgun quarterbacks in college have a lot of time to throw the ball (Alex Smith).
This guy takes snaps from the shotgun, but if you watch closely (again, I'm only referring to the highlights) there are many times when he is surrounded in a very tight pocket on all sides, yet he has such good feet and awareness that all the chaos around him does not seem to phase him.
IMO, I think THAT is the biggest danger in evaluation shotgun college quarterbacks; because you rarely get to see how they react to a tight pocket surrounding them (NFL-like conditions). But with Devlin, he shows great ability in a tight pocket, which I think is what separates the best NFL quarterbacks from the rest.

And about the level of competition:
One example: If a 220 lb divII college player, who is pretty strong and athletic, is tackling you around the waste, you can't throw the ball. If a 260lb div I college player who is stronger and more athletic, is tackling you around the waste, you can't throw the ball. So there is no difference.
Another example: A WR in divII who runs a 4.6 40yrd dash has a step on the DB and is barely open, you throw a perfect pass over his shoulder and he runs for a touchdown. A WR in divI who runs a 4.4 40yrd dash has a step on the DB and is barely open, you throw a perfect pass over his shoulder and he runs for a touchdown. I don't see much difference in either case, both situations require the same type of excellent throw.

Level of competition means everything for a lineman, or a WR, or a DB etc. But for a quarterback, playing against lesser opponents doesn't mean that your WR's are more open, it doesn't mean you have more time in the pocket. Why? Because the players you are depending on are lesser TOO. You are throwing to lesser WR's and are protected by a lesser O-line. I think level of competition is only relevant when looking at athletic ability, but not really skill.

Besides, looking at the guys stats, he dominated at his level of competition the way a scout would hope to see.
Quote:

January 18, 2011

Senior Bowl QBs: Aim for the middle.

Quarterbacks, outside linebackers, cornerbacks. You'll be hearing the phrase "best player available" a lot from team officials in coming months, but those three positions are paramount for the 49ers this year the way that offensive tackle was last year. This week, the team's scouts are in Orlando for the East-West Shrine game. Next week, the focus shifts to the marquee college all-star game, the Senior Bowl. I touched base with NFL Draft Scout's Rob Rang about the most intriguing prospects at those three positions. Here's what he had to say:

Quarterbacks:

Of the Senior-Bowl six, Rang said the one with the best chance of going in the first round is Washington's Jake Locker, who he sees being drafted in the middle of the first round. Locker is athletic, a leader and he played in the Pac 10, which means that he's already familiar to Jim Harbaugh. He said that Colin Kaepernick is easily the most athletic, the most impressive physically (he's 6-6) and has the most upside. But he might not be a good fit for a West Coast offense. The best value for the 49ers, Rang said, might be in the mid rounds. These are the quarterbacks he liked for San Francisco, in order:

1. Christian Ponder, Florida State. He's smart and he played in a demanding offensive system for the Seminoles. He doesn't have the arm strength of Ryan Mallett or the athleticism of Cam Newton, but he has just enough of each. He also has a long injury history and suffered a concussion that knocked him out of FSU's bowl game.
Said Rang: "He's a high GPA guy and understands offense. Because of that, he might be a good fit."

2. Greg McElroy, Alabama. He played in a pro-style offense. Alabama has been awash in talent, and McElroy has been overshadowed by teammates over the last two seasons. He's also not as tall (he's listed at 6-2) and does not have a big arm.
Said Rang: "He's made some big plays and he's instinctive. I like him a lot. He's a guy that can surprise people."

3. Andy Dalton, TCU. He's a gritty player who was accurate with the Horned Frogs. However, unlike the first two quarterbacks, Dalton played in a spread system at TCU and his numbers are likely inflated because of that.
Said Rang: "He didn't have to make the throws or the reads that Ponder and McElroy had to make."

4. Ricky Stanzi, Iowa. He's another mid-round prospect who played in a pro-style system. Stanzi is tall and a bit gangly, but he's got good leadership skills and made a lot of plays for the Hawkeyes.
Said Rang: "He does some good things with his eyes and he's good on the intermediate stuff. But he has no deep ball."

Coming: Outside linebackers, cornerbacks.

-- Matt Barrows

Read more: http://blogs.sacbee.com/49ers/archives/2011/01/senior-bowl-qbs.html#ixzz1BSMPQ5ip
CSN Bay Area: "The Green Room" - 49ers QB situation- VIDEO (01/19/11)

Originally posted by WillistheWall:
Originally posted by ninerlifer:
Im totally good with Devlin in the 2nd round....however, I beleive we may have to trade up....becuase there will be many teams ahead of us, that if they hadnt have taken a QB in the 1st, and still need a QB will take him.

Possibly....but I have a feeling that both Mallett and Locker will be sitting there at the top of round 2.

Hopefully someone will pull the trigger on one of them

I REALLY like Devlin. I like how little his feet move, I like how quick his release is, I like how quickly he's making decisions and I like how he threw 22 TDs and 2 INTs this past year.

I think he has "Jim Harbaugh Project" written all over him.

I only have watched the highlights like most people, but can someone explain to me something negative about this guy?

1) He might have the best pocket presence I've ever seen.
2) He certainly throws a very accurate ball, both with arm and with touch.
3) He has a good arm.
4) He seems really smart, with a good head in interviews.
5) He has a tight, quick release, and passes the eye test.

IMO all the other quarterbacks in the draft play like chickens with their heads cut off in comparison when watching their highlight films. In many of the other quarterbacks highlights, I didn't see a single pass completed from a tight pocket, not ONE single pass.

So he played at a small school, but is that it? I am really confused because this guy's highlights seem to blow the other quarterbacks away.

I think it's because he checks the ball down a lot and doesn't throw it deep very much, and he takes like all of his snaps from the shotgun. But yeah, he could be a real good prospect for us.

I agree, its very dangerous when looking at college QB's who take snaps from the shotgun exclusively, but the reason its dangerous is that the shotgun usually provides the quarterback with a different pocket, and most successful shotgun quarterbacks in college have a lot of time to throw the ball (Alex Smith).
This guy takes snaps from the shotgun, but if you watch closely (again, I'm only referring to the highlights) there are many times when he is surrounded in a very tight pocket on all sides, yet he has such good feet and awareness that all the chaos around him does not seem to phase him.
IMO, I think THAT is the biggest danger in evaluation shotgun college quarterbacks; because you rarely get to see how they react to a tight pocket surrounding them (NFL-like conditions). But with Devlin, he shows great ability in a tight pocket, which I think is what separates the best NFL quarterbacks from the rest.

And about the level of competition:
One example: If a 220 lb divII college player, who is pretty strong and athletic, is tackling you around the waste, you can't throw the ball. If a 260lb div I college player who is stronger and more athletic, is tackling you around the waste, you can't throw the ball. So there is no difference.
Another example: A WR in divII who runs a 4.6 40yrd dash has a step on the DB and is barely open, you throw a perfect pass over his shoulder and he runs for a touchdown. A WR in divI who runs a 4.4 40yrd dash has a step on the DB and is barely open, you throw a perfect pass over his shoulder and he runs for a touchdown. I don't see much difference in either case, both situations require the same type of excellent throw.

Level of competition means everything for a lineman, or a WR, or a DB etc. But for a quarterback, playing against lesser opponents doesn't mean that your WR's are more open, it doesn't mean you have more time in the pocket. Why? Because the players you are depending on are lesser TOO. You are throwing to lesser WR's and are protected by a lesser O-line. I think level of competition is only relevant when looking at athletic ability, but not really skill.

Besides, looking at the guys stats, he dominated at his level of competition the way a scout would hope to see.

I'm not against Devlin, but he has some serious issues to correct. Aside from taking a high volume of snaps from the shotgun, Devlin seems almost incapable of making decisions under pressure and just will not let go of the ball.

He barely got some passes off that flipped up in the air or down in the dirt in that FCS Championship, that in the NFL he would've fumbled away or thrown an interception for six the other way.

Devlin is extremely, extremely indecisive under pressure -- he won't set his feet which then causes inaccurate throws; he won't consistently move enough in the pocket to make plays, and if the pocket breaks down he doesn't seem very comfortable trying to get outside of it and would rather just get leveled for a loss instead of throwing it away.

There's no question this kid can throw the football, and accurately. He can also go through his progressions fairly quickly. But under pressure or no open reads, he seems almost non-functional, and his fundamentals appear to collapse.

If Devlin is selected, hopefully those problems can be coached out of him, but those are the serious issues I see in him at this time.
[ Edited by OnTheClock on Jan 19, 2011 at 9:52 PM ]

Devlin does look impresive in those videos. Another thing that caught my eye was that number six seemed to flash thouroughout that video. I remember a story where Bill Walsh was scouting flim of a QB at Clemson. The more he watched the tape the more a certian player caught his eye. That player? Dwight Clark who had a very nice career for us as we all know. Maybe we should keep the Delaware Wr in the back of our minds just in case. He looks like he could be a pretty good slot reciever.
Keeping an open mind about him, but still...

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/EastWest-Shrine-practice-review-Day-2.html
Quote:
It goes without saying that this wasn’t the kind of practice Delaware quarterback Pat Devlin had in mind for his first showing of the week. He was spraying the football all over the place, didn’t seem nearly as comfortable in the pocket as he did during his time at Delaware and his overall accuracy suffered because of it. And the main culprit? Well, he was taking snaps from under center. Devlin took nearly all his snaps from the gun over the past two seasons and was rarely asked to read a defense and decipher information in his drop, quickly get away from under center before balancing his footing and striding into a throw. Today he looked fidgety and uncomfortable trying to maintain balance in his lower half while still attempting to get the ball out on time. Most media sources will likely end up killing the guy for his struggles in day one, but in my view it’s just part of the learning curve for a quarterback who is making the move from a college spread to more of a traditional NFL offense.

there was a different source stating his struggles, but I'm having trouble remembering where I first found it...
Shane Falco
  • pd24
  • Veteran
Originally posted by PTulini:

ESPN: QB Scott Tolzien wins Unitas Award

ESPN: The meaning of friendship (VIDEO)

Wasn't Harbaugh going to interview the Wisc offensive Cord, Geeps brother?
Share 49ersWebzone