LISTEN: 49ers Play It Smart on Day Two of the Draft →

There are 216 users in the forums

The Top Tier of this draft is 7-Deep

• dj43
Originally posted by Kolohe:
Originally posted by dj43:
I have been all over the board on the QB deal. Initially I was all on board with drafting a QB with the first pick until I really starting looking at talent levels and how pro ready they might be. Now I don't see a legit top 20 value in the draft. They all have more flaws than you want in a pick you hope may start at least at the beginning of the second year.

For now, I would go BPA with the 1st pick (emphasis on pass rush) and look for a QB in the second round or later. Even then, the lack of any real stars will move all teams to reach for a QB where ever they pick him.

I agree with you dj, and for your exact reason is why I hope we pick up two QB's in this draft, one early and one late. I've backed off from the idea of taking Mallet or Gabbert with the 1st pick.
How early?

I would wait for the 3rd. I don't see a real QB value at #39 overall given what I think other teams may do with the QBs that are available. This is just not a good year to need a QB.
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:
Originally posted by nickbradley:
I think the top of the draft is 8 deep as you have to include Gabbert in the mix.

My guess is the Niners pick will come down to Quinn, Amukamura, or Gabbert when its all said and done. I believe that if Arizona passes on Gabbert that he will be the choice on draft day. The size, arm strength, and upside will be too much to pass up and he will be less of a project than Cam Newton.

I don't even think Arizona is in the running for a quarterback in the draft. What I do see as a possibility is someone like Minnesota moving into Cleveland's spot.

The Browns are keen on getting a wide receiver, but AJ Green will be gone. They can reach for Julio Jones, or trade back and still get him...or fall back on Blackmon if Jones is gone. They would pick up a second-round pick in the process that can be used to bolster the LB corps.

How can you say that Arizona isnt in the running for a QB at this point. That may change if they sign a FA but they have no QB for the future right now. If they fall in love with Gabbert I think there is a great chance they would pull the trigger.

New regimes mean new quarterbacks, and Wisenhunt could be fired if he doesn't perform in 2011. Walterfootball.com has the same opinion, stating that AZ drafting a quarterback makes "no sense". They go with a veteran and fill other holes. If Arizona goes 7-9 or 6-10 (or worse) with a veteran quarterback in 2011, Wisenhunt will be fired and a new quarterback will be drafted with a new regime in 2012.

I've heard that nonsense too. The guys from WalterFootball do a good job on their NFL picks but leave a lot to be desired on their mocks. I dont see the Cards passing on a QB IF they think that person can be a franchise player just because of the 2011 season. I dont presume to know if Arizona will fire Wisenhunt should he not go 8-8 ( I tend to doubt he gets fired at 7-9) but I just dont think anyone can dismiss the Cards as a potential for drafting a QB.

What nonsense? The "new coach, new QB" rule has held true very well. If Wisenhunt can't win with a veteran in 2011, no harm in waiting for 2012, which should be a very good year. In addition, quarterbacks drafted in the top 10 are paid more, and the Bidwells are the cheapest owners in the league. He'll save millions by waiting for a rookie salary cap in 2012.
I have been all over the board on the QB deal. Initially I was all on board with drafting a QB with the first pick until I really starting looking at talent levels and how pro ready they might be. Now I don't see a legit top 20 value in the draft. They all have more flaws than you want in a pick you hope may start at least at the beginning of the second year.

For now, I would go BPA with the 1st pick (emphasis on pass rush) and look for a QB in the second round or later. Even then, the lack of any real stars will move all teams to reach for a QB where ever they pick him.

I agree with you dj, and for your exact reason is why I hope we pick up two QB's in this draft, one early and one late. I've backed off from the idea of taking Mallet or Gabbert with the 1st pick.
How early?

I would wait for the 3rd. I don't see a real QB value at #39 overall given what I think other teams may do with the QBs that are available. This is just not a good year to need a QB.

We don't draft #39, we draft #45 (all the 6-10 teams shuffle order every round). Ponder, I believe, is great value for a West Coast Offense team at #45. He's deadly on those slant routes and is very mobile...smart guy too, finishing up his MBA. If we're running the WCO, I don't care very much about his so-so deep ball.
I think the top of the draft is 8 deep as you have to include Gabbert in the mix.

My guess is the Niners pick will come down to Quinn, Amukamura, or Gabbert when its all said and done. I believe that if Arizona passes on Gabbert that he will be the choice on draft day. The size, arm strength, and upside will be too much to pass up and he will be less of a project than Cam Newton.

I don't even think Arizona is in the running for a quarterback in the draft. What I do see as a possibility is someone like Minnesota moving into Cleveland's spot.

The Browns are keen on getting a wide receiver, but AJ Green will be gone. They can reach for Julio Jones, or trade back and still get him...or fall back on Blackmon if Jones is gone. They would pick up a second-round pick in the process that can be used to bolster the LB corps.

How can you say that Arizona isnt in the running for a QB at this point. That may change if they sign a FA but they have no QB for the future right now. If they fall in love with Gabbert I think there is a great chance they would pull the trigger.

New regimes mean new quarterbacks, and Wisenhunt could be fired if he doesn't perform in 2011. Walterfootball.com has the same opinion, stating that AZ drafting a quarterback makes "no sense". They go with a veteran and fill other holes. If Arizona goes 7-9 or 6-10 (or worse) with a veteran quarterback in 2011, Wisenhunt will be fired and a new quarterback will be drafted with a new regime in 2012.

I've heard that nonsense too. The guys from WalterFootball do a good job on their NFL picks but leave a lot to be desired on their mocks. I dont see the Cards passing on a QB IF they think that person can be a franchise player just because of the 2011 season. I dont presume to know if Arizona will fire Wisenhunt should he not go 8-8 ( I tend to doubt he gets fired at 7-9) but I just dont think anyone can dismiss the Cards as a potential for drafting a QB.

What nonsense? The "new coach, new QB" rule has held true very well. If Wisenhunt can't win with a veteran in 2011, no harm in waiting for 2012, which should be a very good year. In addition, quarterbacks drafted in the top 10 are paid more, and the Bidwells are the cheapest owners in the league. He'll save millions by waiting for a rookie salary cap in 2012.

It is nonsense to automatically discount Arizona as a potential landing spot for Gabbert or another QB when they have NO QB of the future. Thats all I am saying. They may not take one because they arent sold on one of these guys being great. Time will tell.

How early?

We don't draft #39, we draft #45 (all the 6-10 teams shuffle order every round). Ponder, I believe, is great value for a West Coast Offense team at #45. He's deadly on those slant routes and is very mobile...smart guy too, finishing up his MBA. If we're running the WCO, I don't care very much about his so-so deep ball.

His decison making is atrocious. If he cant make the right decisions in college, how can he do it in the NFL? He can be had in the 3rd-5th. I'll be surprised to see him go earlier than that.

The question is, how much do they like Skelton for down the road? He looked solid in his first few starts, and shaky in his last, but probably has as much raw talent (size, mobility, arm strengh, etc.) as any of the QBs in this draft. Given the myriad of problems they have, signing a veteran QB and developing Skelton over the next few years seems like a sound strategy.
  • Nuns
  • Veteran

If Wisenhunt has another year next in 2011 like this one, he may not be around for 2012.
Originally posted by ninerlifer:

How early?

His decison making is atrocious. If he cant make the right decisions in college, how can he do it in the NFL? He can be had in the 3rd-5th. I'll be surprised to see him go earlier than that.

I haven't seen the decision-making problems. Reference?
Originally posted by Nuns:

If Wisenhunt has another year next in 2011 like this one, he may not be around for 2012.

Highly doubtful that the Bidwells would fire Whisenhunt and eat $10+ million dollars. He is under contract through 2013. I dont see that happening.

It is nonsense to automatically discount Arizona as a potential landing spot for Gabbert or another QB when they have NO QB of the future. Thats all I am saying. They may not take one because they arent sold on one of these guys being great. Time will tell.

So what does Arizona do if they draft a new QB then fire Whisenhunt after the season? More likely scenario is to go with a vet, then if Whisenhunt is fired, they'll hire a quarterback-friendly coach and draft one. Marty Morniwheg as HC in 2012 with a rookie QB drafted in the Top 5 with a rookie salary cap...that makes too much sense.

I personally believe that they acquire McNabb in the offseason for a 2nd or 3rd round pick and win 9 or 10 games next year.

Originally posted by Nuns:

Highly doubtful that the Bidwells would fire Whisenhunt and eat $10+ million dollars. He is under contract through 2013. I dont see that happening.

Another 5 or 6 win season would do the trick...
Thankfully for us, the top tier of this draft is seven-deep with Luck's return to Stanford...we pick 7th!

It is very difficult to put any non-quarterback in front of these (2) CBs, (2) DTs, (2) DEs, and (1) WR...Julio Jones could make a push for Cleveland at #6, but if they're going to do that they might as well just trade down for Blackmon or something like that.

But with the difference between winning and losing in this league primarily coming down to the signal-caller, any team that gets a 'warm and fuzzy' from a quarterback will probably pull the trigger. That includes us, Arizona, and Buffalo, although I think Arizona will pursue a veteran instead and Buffalo won't draft a quarterback until Chan Gailey is fired after next season.

So how does this post differ from ur last post Nick?
Jim Harbaugh will be running the West Coast offense, so Mallet's out. Locker is a perfect fit for the WCO, but Gabbert was supposed to run Bill Calahan's West Coast Offense at Nebraska as a 5-star recruit...transferred when he was fired; so he must have the makeup for the WCO (mobility is decent, not great). On Locker, if Harbaugh passes on him -- a guy who he has a ton of tape on and has played him multiple times -- Locker could drop like a stone.

If we don't feel VERY strong about either Locker or Gabbert, we have to take whoever left out of the Elite Seven....probably Amukamura or Dareus will be left.

My prediction is that Harbaugh signs off on Locker as 'the guy' and we take him. Another possibiltiy is that Harbaugh gives Christian Ponder or Ricky Stanzi a first-round grade and we take them in the second round; Harbaugh was spot-on with some draft grades while in Oakland (gave Romo a high grade, even though he went undrafted, for example)...in that scenario we take Amukamura or Dareus and call it a night. I highly doubt that we try and get crafty and trade down in hopes of snagging Locker at 15 - 20.

1. AJ Green
2. Nick Fairley
3. Patrick Peterson
4. Da-Quan Bowers
5. Marcell Dareus
6. Prince Amukamura
7. Robert Quinn

How early?

Ponder would be a massive waste of a pick at #45
Originally posted by jreff22:

How early?

why?
Originally posted by jreff22:

How early?

why?

because better players will be available and he can be taken in the 3rd
Share 49ersWebzone