LISTEN: 49ers Play It Smart on Day Two of the Draft →

There are 143 users in the forums

So, with Harbaugh/ West Coast offense taking over...

Originally posted by WillistheWall:
Originally posted by stever:
Harbaugh said in the press conference, that one of the things his qb must be is athletic. This is one of the main problems Mallet has. So i don't really think that Mallet is an option. If this goes strictly by athleticisms, i think these are the guys who could be the options in round 1 (maybe with trading down):

Cam Newton
Jake Locker
maybe Blaine Gabbert

He says athletic instincts. IMO that is way different than an athletic QB. If you go with a QB that has athletic instincts, IMO that is a guy who is a dynamic football player. WHo do you think was more dynamic, Joe Montana or Vince Young? Joe obviously. Walsh explained the difference about this and someone found it here a while back. But by athletic instincts I'm guessing making throws that hit WRs in stride, dropping back with good footwork, etc. I mean Peyton and Brady aren't athletic like VY or Cam but if you said they had athletic instincts you'd be correct. They have good footwork and move around in the pocket like they're light on their feet even if they're slow in a foot race.

I'm honestly not sure if any of those guys have the instincts Harbaugh is talking about. He also said they needed to be accurate etc. So athleticism is not the sole thing here, otherwise you could put Usain Bolt at QB. Luck was a good athlete but not Cam, but my guess is if you asked Harbaugh who he'd want he'd pick Luck 11 times out of 10.

They're also going to need to learn how to drop back and play in a pro style offense and command the huddle. Newton is nowhere close to doing that yet. His reads are simplified and he throws into larger windows that won't be there in the NFL, plus his mechanics are bad. Gabbert is a better QB prospect but I'm not sure he's as accurate as Harbaugh would like. It's possible he could like Locker though, who is inconsistent as heck but has taken some snaps under center and lead his team.

Don't forget that MM tweeted that Harbaugh was presented with scouting reports of Joey Harrington, David Garrard, and Romo in 2003 as the Raiders QB coach and he nailed all 3 of their futures. Garrard good, Romo really good, and Joey H. a bust. So he could go for a later round guy like a Stanzi, Dalton, or Ponder. That is honestly what I'd prefer.

I pointed out in another Cam thread that he doesent throw into tight windows often...but when he has to he can definetly can. And Cam totally commands the huddle, he is a leader and winner. I dont think you have seen what he has done in Auburns 6 come from behind victories. Trust me he owns the huddle. If you dont watch SEC ball (only SportsCenter highlights) watch Monday night. Oregons D aint SEC D's that Cam has destroyed.

Why am I defending Cam all the time?!?!?!?!
Originally posted by WillistheWall:
Originally posted by genus49:
I like Nick Foles a lot but I don't think he's coming out :(

I think Locker could still develop into a very good WCO QB but I wouldn't take him without trading down.

Agreed on Locker. I wonder what Harbaugh thinks about him.
me either, he should know him very well. we will know it after the draft
Originally posted by E-49er:

Locker would be a good fit.....as a TE in the WCO. Locker sucks!!! He has regressed bigtime!!! He is a project that we do not have time for. Alex is better than Locker now! I have seen Gabbert only a couple of times but like what I saw.
josh freeman regressed in his last college season either...so what? locker is mobile enough to play in a WCO and even he can be accurate in the short range.
any qb who will be drafted is a project...dont u get it? you are talking about gabbert who plays in a gimmick offense or other guys who think of cam newton...at least locker played in a pro-style-like system and everyone saw his flaws there. no one can say anything about gabbert and newton respectively in terms of that issue.

[ Edited by communist on Jan 8, 2011 at 12:10:17 ]
Originally posted by mayo49:
I have a feeling we're going to pick Locker. Just a feeling. I think he'd well in WCO.

Me, too. I don't really know why, but i have this feeling, too.

Toughness = A+
Athleticism = A+
Arm = A
Mobility = A
Athletic Instincts = F

I don't think he is going to be his guy.
instincts=F??? are u sure?
Originally posted by ChaunceyGardner:
Originally posted by mayo49:
I have a feeling we're going to pick Locker. Just a feeling. I think he'd well in WCO.

Me, too. I don't really know why, but i have this feeling, too.

Toughness = A+
Athleticism = A+
Arm = A
Mobility = A
Athletic Instincts = F

I don't think he is going to be his guy.

Intersting phrase "Athletic Instinct". Not familiar with it, so can't give an impression on this one. Maybe it's a term Harbaugh has for an overall impression of how the QB is aware of the play as it unfolds, and can sense pressure/read defense/make adjustments on the fly? Combination of "pocket presense" and keeping the play alive?

Locker is probably at least middle of the pack ("C") minimum if that's the case.
Originally posted by BoiseNiner:

Either could thrive under Harbaugh. Both have unparalleled leadership ability, high football IQ, excellent accuracy, and underappreciated mobility. IMO they could each transition into the NFL game easier than some of the bigger names due to their experience and ability to make sound decisions with the football in their hands.
More and more I think of it, I want no QB in rd 1 or 2.

I would rather go for Dalton or Stanzi in rd 3 or late rd 2 if we trade back into rd 2.
Originally posted by AB83Rules:
More and more I think of it, I want no QB in rd 1 or 2.

I would rather go for Dalton or Stanzi in rd 3 or late rd 2 if we trade back into rd 2.

I think this is the route i want to go right now. It sounds weird but it almost sounds like people are raving over the later round prospects over the ones with first round grades. There will always be question marks and concerns when it comes to QB's in the first round but it seems like there are more this year than normal.

I think I'm leaning towards a CB, passrusher or AJ at 7 right now. Then draft Dalton or Stanzi later on like you suggested. Going the veteran QB route this year seems to make the most sense while groomer a later round prospect.
just b/c we got harbaugh, it doesnt mean that we can afford to ignore QBs in the first two rounds...

[ Edited by communist on Jan 8, 2011 at 20:30:25 ]

• sfout
  • Veteran
Originally posted by communist:
just b/c we got harbaugh, it doesnt mean that we can afford to ignore QBs in the first two rounds...

But it doesn't mean we should do a knee-jerk reaction and take the "best" qb at #7 either. The "first rounder" qb's have just as many question marks as the middle rounder qb's if not more and I will take a 4 year player like Dalton or Kaepernick in heart beat over Cam Newton the 1 year wonder and Ryan "anger management" Mallett any day.
  • titan
  • Veteran
Originally posted by sfout:

But it doesn't mean we should do a knee-jerk reaction and take the "best" qb at #7 either. The "first rounder" qb's have just as many question marks as the middle rounder qb's if not more and I will take a 4 year player like Dalton or Kaepernick in heart beat over Cam Newton the 1 year wonder and Ryan "anger management" Mallett any day.

So you would rather have bench players cause you like them better?
Originally posted by sfout:

plz look at todays franchise QBs and tell me how many of them were drafted later than the 1st round...we could even include the 2nd.
in general i think the same about guys like newton, mallett and even locker, when anyone asks me whether these guys are worth a top10-pick...then again, look some mid-rounders and ask some scouts why they rank those guys as mid-rounders...it's not a coincidence. we already have a mid-late round-pick at our practice squad, we have troy smith...should be enough.
Share 49ersWebzone