There are 242 users in the forums

My 1st-Round Mock w/ us making the playoffs (12/20)

Originally posted by Crazy49er1313:
Like the draft, definitely showed you put effort into it and that's always appreciated on the Zone

Only have two knocks:

1. I like the Tampa pick, but I don't necessarily think their DLine is awful, especially with all the investments they put into it last season (first two picks). Before this season started, I would've said they needed a WR or RB, but since Blount and Williams showed up, they do need to improve their pass rush, so I like the pick

2. As much as Jimmy Smith is a safe pick, if we're drafting that late, it's about talent vs need, and can't see passing up a top notch receiver in Blackmon if he falls to us. Whomever we doom to play at QB is gonna need a speed receiver to stretch the field (Ginn could've been this IF he could hold onto the ball) and get guys like VD and Crabtree open.

Overall, I think it's realistic and pretty well done, so great job

You still go need at #21 -- shoot, you still go 'need' in the 2nd round if you have to. I don't think adding a one-year wonder WR at #21 is going to have the impact like you think it is...Blackmon isn't AJ Green or even Julio Jones.

We're weak at Corner and neglected it in 2010, which was a cornerback draft for the ages...

I think our passing game improves in 2011 WITHOUT any additions because our Offensive Line will be much better (Iupati and Davis will have a year of experience, Heitmann and Staley will be back).
Originally posted by nickbradley:
Like the draft, definitely showed you put effort into it and that's always appreciated on the Zone

Only have two knocks:

1. I like the Tampa pick, but I don't necessarily think their DLine is awful, especially with all the investments they put into it last season (first two picks). Before this season started, I would've said they needed a WR or RB, but since Blount and Williams showed up, they do need to improve their pass rush, so I like the pick

2. As much as Jimmy Smith is a safe pick, if we're drafting that late, it's about talent vs need, and can't see passing up a top notch receiver in Blackmon if he falls to us. Whomever we doom to play at QB is gonna need a speed receiver to stretch the field (Ginn could've been this IF he could hold onto the ball) and get guys like VD and Crabtree open.

You still go need at #21 -- shoot, you still go 'need' in the 2nd round if you have to. I don't think adding a one-year wonder WR at #21 is going to have the impact like you think it is...Blackmon isn't AJ Green or even Julio Jones.

We're weak at Corner and neglected it in 2010, which was a cornerback draft for the ages...

I think our passing game improves in 2011 WITHOUT any additions because our Offensive Line will be much better (Iupati and Davis will have a year of experience, Heitmann and Staley will be back).

Still think Smith might be a reach in the 1st, but wouldn't be horribly upset if we got him. Just think Blackmon would help whichever new QB we bring in, though a nice pass rushing DE wouldn't be too awful either (still hoping we switch to a 4-3 in the offseason)

Only have two knocks:

Still think Smith might be a reach in the 1st, but wouldn't be horribly upset if we got him. Just think Blackmon would help whichever new QB we bring in, though a nice pass rushing DE wouldn't be too awful either (still hoping we switch to a 4-3 in the offseason)

I would go best player available that fits a major need at #21 -- I just think that would be Smith. You could go with Kerrigan or Ayers as a pass-rusher at that spot too.

What's your case for going back to a 4-3? The tide is going the other way, since 3-4 defenses are better against the pass (scheme-wise). That's why there's a shift to it in college to counter the spread.
Originally posted by SF69ers:
I'd rather take Ryan Kerrigan if we were picking at #21.

I'm with you on that. Kerrigan is my favorite player in this draft.
Originally posted by Travisty13:
Originally posted by SF69ers:
I'd rather take Ryan Kerrigan if we were picking at #21.

I'm with you on that. Kerrigan is my favorite player in this draft.

He's definitely one of my favorite players as well.

Only have two knocks:

I would go best player available that fits a major need at #21 -- I just think that would be Smith. You could go with Kerrigan or Ayers as a pass-rusher at that spot too.

What's your case for going back to a 4-3? The tide is going the other way, since 3-4 defenses are better against the pass (scheme-wise). That's why there's a shift to it in college to counter the spread.

Lack of pass rush, lack of size at nosetackle, two great LBs (Spikes and Willis) whose speed isn't being truly utilized in the 3-4, and having a guy like Justin Smith whose off the edge bull rush would be killer in the 4-3...

Anything else?

Only have two knocks:

Agree. Really like Jimmy Smith
Wow, now that I see it here, 21 sure is a big drop from the top 10.
Originally posted by KezarLivin:

a playoff team is a lot better than a 7-9 team who hasn't made the playoffs since 2002.
Originally posted by KezarLivin:

My heart breaks thinking what kind of offense the Hawks and Rams will have if theyre QBs pan out. I like the pick but wouldnt mind if they went with Ponder or Pouncey.

Devlin or Ponder in 2nd round...need CB or OLB/DE with first pick...we get no pressure with sending 4....
Originally posted by AB83Rules:
wouldnt mind it at all, would rather go OLB with Ayers, dude will be a beast at the next level.

Then go QB Stanzi or Devlin in rd 2, then rd 3, get a CB like Dowling or Curtis Brown.

Or trade up into rd 2, get a CB like Aaron Williams if he were to fall.

I'm with AB that sounds pretty good under this senario.
Originally posted by valrod33:
Originally posted by mcbaes72:
I can live with our CB pick. But it still doesn't answer our QB question, biggest need of all. Do you think we trade up late in first round or early 2nd round for a QB then? If so, who is left that's worth drafting since Luck, Locker, Newton and Mallet are all gone?

Draft Stanzi in the 2nd

this!
Originally posted by suckafree17:
Devlin or Ponder in 2nd round...need CB or OLB/DE with first pick...we get no pressure with sending 4....

DEVLIN DEVLIN DEVLIN!!!!!!!!!!!
I don't think all 4 QB's will go in the first 11 picks. Yes a lot of teams need QB's but like every year, one or two always drop and I think one of them will be available when we pick at 21st IMO
Share 49ersWebzone