LISTEN: 49ers Play It Smart on Day Two of the Draft →

There are 337 users in the forums

My First Offseason and 3 rd Mock

Alright, so I know we still have a tiny chance to make the playoffs, but I doubt it'll happen so I'll give this a shot.
We fire Singeltary whether we make the playoffs or not.

HC- Mike Mularkey, current OC of Falcons
OC- Bill Musgrave, current QB coach with Falcons; he'll come with Mularkey
DC- Greg Manusky. I think Singeltary and Nolan's conservative approach to BOTH offense and defense have affected Manusky's playcalls.

Free Agents- We cut Alex Smith. Troy will either be retained as a #2, or released, too. Let Goldson hit the market, let Franklin walk. Reconstruct Clements' contract to a 2 year contract. Resign Manny. Resign Ginn. Resign Spikes to 2 year contract. Resign Baas.

Sign Quintin Mikell as starting FS. Sign Cullen Jenkins as DE. Sign Matt Hasselback.

Draft:
1st- CB Prince Amukamura. I think that at where we pick, QBs like Newton and Mallett will be available, but I just think believe that getting a top 2 CB would be much safer than another QB. Prince can be a quick impact player for this defense, and can instantly line up across from Spencer.
2nd- QB Ricky Stanzi. Hes a pretty good QB, with good accuracy and other intangibles. I've heard that he might have some problems with the deep ball, but I think hes good enough to throw the 30-40 yard passes. Also, I believe we'll be moving to the WCO this offseason so he won't exactly be required to chuck it deep every other play.
3rd- The best pass rusher available

IMO, this could be one of the most realistic mocks and offseasons possible for us. Honestly, if this happens, we'd be on track to turn things around in 2011.
[ Edited by niner4life21 on Dec 11, 2010 at 3:35 PM ]
  • GEEK
  • Veteran
Originally posted by niner4life21:
Alright, so I know we still have a tiny chance to make the playoffs, but I doubt it'll happen so I'll give this a shot.

DC- Greg Manusky. I think Singeltary and Nolan's conservative approach to BOTH offense and defense have affected Manusky's playcalls.

Free Agents- We cut Alex Smith. Troy will either be retained as a #2, or released, too. Let Goldson hit the market, let Franklin walk. Reconstruct Clements' contract to a 2 year contract. Resign Manny. Resign Ginn. Resign Spikes to 2 year contract. Resign Baas.

Sign Quintin Mikell as starting FS. Sign Cullen Jenkins as DE. Sign Matt Hasselback.

Draft:
1st- CB Prince Amukamura. I think that at where we pick, QBs like Newton and Mallett will be available, but I just think believe that getting a top 2 CB would be much safer than another QB. Prince can be a quick impact player for this defense, and can instantly line up across from Spencer.
2nd- QB Ricky Stanzi. Hes a pretty good QB, with good accuracy and other intangibles. I've heard that he might have some problems with the deep ball, but I think hes good enough to throw the 30-40 yard passes. Also, I believe we'll be moving to the WCO this offseason so he won't exactly be required to chuck it deep every other play.

IMO, this could be one of the most realistic mocks and offseasons possible for us. Honestly, if this happens, we'd be on track to turn things around in 2011.

Thoughts:

I am not opposed to the coaching moves, but the Falcons have one of the best offensive talent on any national football team. Franchise QB, legit WRs, franchise RB, seasoned TEs, and up and coming offensive line. And I don't see both of them leaving. For the sake of continuity, I think Musgrave would take over the OC role as he's already the Asst. HC on the team as well.

We don't need to "cut" Alex Smith. He's a unrestricted free agency after this season. Goldson and Smith will be retained via RFA tags if the current CBA terms carry over next off-season.

If we are going to stick with a one-gap 3-4 D, then why would we get rid of Franklin? Franklin is a good one-gap NT, and Sopoaga continued to play inconsistent at the position. I like Jenkins, but he's had injury problems. Our defensive line isn't the weakness of the defense, so I don't see this as a realistic move. Our secondary and OLB positions would be high priority.

It remains to be seen if we actually resign Lawson. I think he'll go for green pastures as Manusky/Singletary have reduced his playing time.

I like the rest of your moves though - although I thought Ginn was under contract for another year. Good players for good value.
I understand your view on the whole Mularkey/Musgrave situation, but its just what I think will, or at least, should happen.

And as for keeping Goldson, I doubt it happens. IMO, right now, hes so bad, that someone like Reggie Smith could turn out to be better than him ( which isn't saying much). You mentioned the CBA, but I doubt it happens.

And regarding Franklin, I think he'll be asking for too much money. I know hes pretty damn good, but I still think he's replaceable. I expect RJF to really progress and become an impact player like Franklin next year.

ciuldnt of said it anybetter n crazy to think i we win tomorrow still alive baby!

Draft:

• Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Almost identical to mine, but a little incomplete there wouldn't you say??
Originally posted by Kolohe:
Almost identical to mine, but a little incomplete there wouldn't you say??

Lol how can you say ours are identical? The only similarities I see are Mularkey and Hasselbeck...
Sign Matt Hasselback.

lol.
Originally posted by YorkHater:

Maybe you elaborate on why my mock was so bad instead of putting a bunch of s. lol
I heard on the radio that Mularky is lobbying for a new HC position. It will be interesting to see what happens in this area.

Share 49ersWebzone