There are 234 users in the forums

sporting news draft review issue says...

Ron Brace could be cut by New England. Perhaps he should be one of the folks Baalke should have an eye on?

I personally think Kentwan Balmer should be given a lot of practice at NT. He was drafted to be a NT, and I would hope would be better than Ricky Jean Francois the kid from LSU taking snaps at NT.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by 9erred:
Ron Brace could be cut by New England. Perhaps he should be one of the folks Baalke should have an eye on?

I personally think Kentwan Balmer should be given a lot of practice at NT. He was drafted to be a NT, and I would hope would be better than Ricky Jean Francois the kid from LSU taking snaps at NT.

HIGHLY UNLIKELY Ron Brace is cut, no way NE gives up on a 2nd round pick this soon. I think Kade Weston or Myron Pryor are more likely to be released. And hopefully Balmer gets a lot of reps and practice at the nose.
If we targeted 5, then that means Balmer is a better DE than he is a NT. Not good.
Originally posted by cwilson830:
Originally posted by Kolohe:
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
1) You can't get everything in 1 draft.
2) We have a good NT now.

But how long will he be here?? I think if we can't re-sign him and decides to leave next year, we should pick up a NT via free agency.

.....oh damn there might not be any NFL next year.[/quote]

Dude.. please don't even mention that...

f**k our lives

man I would of loved Dan Williams
Originally posted by 9erred:

The Balmer pick is really starting to piss me off, not just because of Balmer, but because it seems like we had no idea what to do with him when he was drafted. When you draft a guy in the first you should have a pretty good idea where he fits in your system.

My biggest knock on the Niners (besides sucking for so long) is the slow pace at which we develop our players. Think of all the guys that are still a question mark after being on our team for years. If Balmer is any good we wont know it until he has about a year left on his contract ala V.Davis, Goldson, Franklin and Lawson.

P.S. Before you dog out Lawson for Brooks keep in mind Brooks would come into the game with fresh legs, much like Haralson did the year he got 8 sacks. Before you crown Brooks, keep in mind he has yet to prove he has the motor to be an every down player and effective pass rusher.
  • GEEK
  • Veteran
I think we stay pat with our current roster at the 3-4 Dline.

Franklin, Sopoaga, and RJF is good depth for the position at this time.

Let RJF get all the reps and let's see if he can perform at the position.
It's possible they were prospects later on in the draft. A backup nose isn't one of your team's greater priorities. Well as long as Franklin doesn't get injured.
We need to lock Franklin up. He has improved every season hes been here and is really coming into his own. I think he's our next pro bowler.
I think RJF is our starter next year. Balmer seems to be more likely to be an end.

if we didnt trade that 4th we would of had NT Cam Thomas
Originally posted by tohara3:
Originally posted by cwilson830:
Originally posted by Kolohe:

But how long will he be here?? I think if we can't re-sign him and decides to leave next year, we should pick up a NT via free agency.

.....oh damn there might not be any NFL next year.[/quote]
Dude.. please don't even mention that...

yeah, seriously....will there still be a madden if not? cuz...then I would surely pass away due to utter shock.
  • bret
  • Veteran
I defended Baalke's trade up for Davis this year, but you do have to wonder if losing that 4th made the difference between getting one of those NTs we wanted and taking another special teams corner and blocking tight end!
  • GEEK
  • Veteran
Originally posted by bret:
I defended Baalke's trade up for Davis this year, but you do have to wonder if losing that 4th made the difference between getting one of those NTs we wanted and taking another special teams corner and blocking tight end!

Then again, we could have just drafted another Joe Cohen with that 4th rounder...

We won't really have to worry about it if Franklin has another strong year. If he does, he'll get an extension of 4-5 years.
Share 49ersWebzone