LISTEN: 49ers Play It Smart on Day Two of the Draft →

There are 360 users in the forums

Is all this Clausen talk a Smoke Screen?

Is all this Clausen talk a Smoke Screen?

• tac22
  • Veteran
Originally posted by tac22:

we really need to consider moving his fat ass to RT
Originally posted by valrod33:

Look he has the head for the game and give Nate some time he is our next Pro Browl QB.

Otherwise I am going to hate being like Falcons fans watching Brett Farve give his Hall of Fame Speach if we lose Nate Davis. The kid has a lot of the Intangables we have discussed regarding QB's.
Originally posted by bassmanr:
Originally posted by valrod33:

Look he has the head for the game and give Nate some time he is our next Pro Browl QB.

Otherwise I am going to hate being like Falcons fans watching Brett Farve give his Hall of Fame Speach if we lose Nate Davis. The kid has a lot of the Intangables we have discussed regarding QB's.

I don't get why you guys think the kid is so great, I think if he was half as good as many of you claim, he would already be out there. Only thing I have seen from him that was impressive was his college highlight reels on youtubue. As for how much that means, if you look at Jamarcus Russel's highlight videos, they are every bit as impressive.
I haven't the foggiest. Get it? San Francisco and Fog? I know, don't quit my day job.
I know we have needs at OL, DL, and defensive backfield but honestly this team has the talent to win the division as is. When was the last time we were in the playoffs...When we had a franchise QB. It could be very possible that Trent might want to put his stamp on this team IMHO. It is not totally out of the question and too be real honest I wouldn't mind it. I think Ahmad Brooks will be a bigger part of the pass rush getting better and maybe if the second pick is someone like Haden or that safety kid from Texas then we should be okay.
Can't stress enough how against SF drafting Clausen I am. It's not even an Alex Smith thing. It's a Clausen is overrated and a flaming *** thing with a lousy A-hole disposition thing.

... but if we can use our pseudo interest in making a great leverage trade happen? then great!
I could see us taking him if he's there.

If we were only one player away from the SB then I'd say we should draft for need. Since were not only one player away, we have to draft BPA. Now if Clausen is the BPA bring him and and make Smith either improve to keep his job or GTFO.
it better be our i will forfiet this season lol! f**k him! no more f**kin stupid picks! that would take the cake for sure~
I think all this Clausen talk is just that, talk. I doubt the team would rate him higher than a starting right tackle or an elite defensive back. Nevertheless, you really have to give Baalke props for keeping the idea alive…

"I prefer not to discuss our draft strategies at this time”.

He neither confirms nor denies while divulging nothing pertaining to whom he may or may not be targeting, whether it’s a position, or a specific player. With other teams not quite sure what the 49ers are likely to do, trades are much more probable and give Baalke the advantage when it’s time to take that call. That’s a breath of fresh air when compared to McCloughan exposing his rigid "philosophy" and non-exception draft policy to the media.

• kem99
  • Veteran
If McCloughan was still the GM, I'd be less likely to think there is anything there since he was Smith's strongest backer in the organization.

At the end of the day, I don't think Clausen falls to the 49ers at 13, much less 17 but I do think they will consider it if he does notwithstanding perhaps the larger need in other areas if the draft goes a certain way. For example, what if Okung, Bulaga, T. Williams and A. Davis are all off the board at 13? Do you reach for the 5th best tackle because of need? Do you go Iupati even if he is a project at Tackle and his best position may be Guard and would you feel better about Iupati at 17 than at 13? Is Haden that much better than the other CBs that you might be able to get at 17 or in the 2nd round?

The other consideration is are the 49ers protecting themselves with Clausen in the event Smith does not do the job in 2010? Smith's in the last year of his contract. If he does not show enough to convince everyone that he can be the guy for the next 5 years, it probably isn't worth the money it would take to bring him back, not to mention that it would effectively be holding the franchise back. If Smith does not come back, the 49ers would be left with Carr and Davis, who despite everyone's optimism is still a 5th round pick and by all accounts a long way from playing. It would also keep the 49ers from having to go into next year's draft looking for the next franchise QB and possibly having to pay an even larger price in terms of contract and other compensation to a trade partner in the event they would have to trade-up to get Locher or whomever else comes out next year, though all of that is up in the air some with the CBA mess.

It would also allow Clausen to sit and watch for the year. If Smith does well, the 49ers can decide whether to keep him or Clausen and could always trade one on down the line. While not a huge factor, the Yorks ties to ND probably also play a minor consideration.

So, yeah, I think its possible that Clausen could be this year's Crabtree to the 49ers...someone who does not particularly fit a need but is highly rated on their Board and could fall to them if things break the right way and might be too good for them to pass up.

Just for the record, I do believe Clausen is the best QB in this draft and given the choice, I'd rather have Clausen than Bradford.
They may be trying to spook Seattle into trading up. With the 49ers (extra pick) or to jump ahead of the 49ers to get Clausen. But if they do that they will have to trade up to 8 (the Raiders) because #9 Buffalo may take Clausen. Heck the Raiders may take Clausen. The Raiders might take a Tackle we want.
Originally posted by dmax:
it better be a smokescreen..we are set at qb, we just need someone who can protect him...dangit

Alex is our starter, yes. But he's under contract for only one more year. So what happens if he's mediocre again next season? Do we re-sign him to another short-term deal? Because despite what you want to have happen, the facts on reality remain the same:

-Nate Davis may not develop into the player we want him to be
-David Carr is a career backup
-Alex Smith is not a leader

Read this scouting report on Jimmy Clausen and then tell me you're not at least intrigued by his potential acquisition.

http://www.draftcountdown.com/ScoutingReports/QB/Jimmy-Clausen.php
If the coaching staff is convinced that they have seen Alex Smith ceiling, and last year was it... Take Clausen

If the coaching staff is unconvinced that Davis's learning disability is too great to over come....Take Clausen

If the coaching staff doesn't think Carr is a future starter....Take Clausen

If the coaching staff feel Clausen is a future star in this league....Take Clausen.

Thats a lot of ifs!
one more

If any of the first three points are true, then we need take a QB, is Clausen the guy? Only if number 4 is true!
Originally posted by millerb1:
They may be trying to spook Seattle into trading up. With the 49ers (extra pick) or to jump ahead of the 49ers to get Clausen. But if they do that they will have to trade up to 8 (the Raiders) because #9 Buffalo may take Clausen. Heck the Raiders may take Clausen. The Raiders might take a Tackle we want.

Both Seattle and St. Louis pick before us. So you mean Arizona?

~Ceadder
Share 49ersWebzone