There are 220 users in the forums

What do you guys think about the Clausen rumor?

I think it is just a ploy to try and get Seattle to take him at 6 instead of trying to wait until 14 increasing our chances of getting an OT at 13. I could be wrong but unless Singletary is totally out of the loop on this decision I really believe he wants to give Alex, Carr, and Davis one more chance.
There are already a couple long running threads talking about Clausen.

http://www.49erswebzone.com/forum/thread.php?num=140260
http://www.49erswebzone.com/forum/thread.php?num=140509
I'm now thinking he will be gone at 7
I think it's an obvious smokescreen. If they had wanted to chnage their QB situation, they would have been players in the McNabb sweepstakes. There is simply no room for a QB on this roster. They are content going into this season with Alex Smith starting, and Carr as his back-up. Nate Davis has incredible potential and Johnson seems to think he can work with his learning disability. No reason to shake up that dynamic by adding Clausen. However, if Clausen is taken before 13 that means one more player makes it to them.

P.S. I am in the midst of pre-draft bliss. I can't think about anything else!
It's a rumor surrounded by mythic lies and innuendos that is designed to keep everyone on their toes and short of breath as the draft approaches and each team readies for their selection in primetime television on ESPN(Everything Sox and Pinstripes Network). I think that could be a run on sentence. They will not select Claussen.
If the team sticks to the draft BPA philosophy and he's there at 13 or 17 then I'm for it. QB may not be the biggest NEED for this team, but if you can add a guy who is great in the clutch and has the physical tools to succeed than you take him.

10-6 and maybe a playoff win is what Alex will probably get us. If you have a QB that's half the battle in this league.

Let me close by saying that I am perfectly fine with sitting back and letting the board do the work for us in this draft. If we get a QB (Clausen) great, but if we got Haden and Davis? Great..... If we got Bulaga and Graham? great..

This team needs talent on a lot of levels and short of WR and TE I don't think we can look at any positions and say "We're good here."
linebacker we are good here
Originally posted by 52isabeast:
If the team sticks to the draft BPA philosophy and he's there at 13 or 17 then I'm for it. QB may not be the biggest NEED for this team, but if you can add a guy who is great in the clutch and has the physical tools to succeed than you take him.

10-6 and maybe a playoff win is what Alex will probably get us. If you have a QB that's half the battle in this league.

Let me close by saying that I am perfectly fine with sitting back and letting the board do the work for us in this draft. If we get a QB (Clausen) great, but if we got Haden and Davis? Great..... If we got Bulaga and Graham? great..

This team needs talent on a lot of levels and short of WR and TE I don't think we can look at any positions and say "We're good here."

One of the biggest knocks on Clausen is that he wasn't good in the clutch, and there is a genuine fear of how he would handle the pressure of the NFL as he seemed to be fairly sheltered at ND.
hoping its not true and if it is, i hope we pass
i think it's false

Originally posted by Niners23:
Originally posted by 52isabeast:

One of the biggest knocks on Clausen is that he wasn't good in the clutch, and there is a genuine fear of how he would handle the pressure of the NFL as he seemed to be fairly sheltered at ND.

I am surprised by that one.....he led them on the comeback scoring late against Michigan, He led them almost all the way back against USC (when the defense laid down), Purdue? I am not a ND fan but I thought he led them back in at least 4 games. In the games they lost, the Offense gave them a lead that their D couldn't hold onto.

I'll give you the "he's cocky, arrogant, and needs to work on relationships with teammates" argument. But I feel that if you're a leader on your team than you have to have some command and cockiness. (See Phillip Rivers for example) But he was voted Captain by his teammates which shows a level of respect and he's been prepared for this type of a role his whole life.

We had people working with Alex on fundamentals 2 and 3 years ago and this kid has better fundamentals coming out than probably any of our QB's have right now.

I don't think he'll be available, but as I keep saying -- BPA has to be the model we follow this draft
Originally posted by flynhayn15:
I think it is just a ploy to try and get Seattle to take him at 6 instead of trying to wait until 14 increasing our chances of getting an OT at 13. I could be wrong but unless Singletary is totally out of the loop on this decision I really believe he wants to give Alex, Carr, and Davis one more chance.

The 49ers want Clausen to go before 13
I smell smoke. He's not coming here.
He won't drop past 10
Share 49ersWebzone