LISTEN: 49ers Play It Smart on Day Two of the Draft →

There are 225 users in the forums

49erswebzone collaborative big board: #13

49erswebzone collaborative big board: #13

Who do you want to be #13 on the 49ers big board? In other words, if these players were already taken when the 49ers are on the clock at #13 who would you want them to choose? (If you want to vote for a player that doesn't appear in the poll, just write them in a post and I will put them in the poll.) The final count for the poll will be taken tonight at 12:00 PST.

Players already taken:
DT Ndamukong Suh
OT Russell Okung
S Eric Berry
DT Gerald McCoy
OT Bryan Bulaga
OT Trent Williams
CB Joe Haden
QB Sam Bradford
RB C.J. Spiller
OT Anthony Davis
S Earl Thomas
WR Dez Bryant
I want a player that can help us this year. Dan Williams wouldn't start for at least one year and would probably take two or three years to develop into a good player. Iupati immediately makes our o-line much better. Steve Hutchinson and Alan Faneca are two of the most valuable linemen in the NFL. Iupati would be a HUGE upgrade.
Originally posted by Draftology:
I want a player that can help us this year. Dan Williams wouldn't start for at least one year and would probably take two or three years to develop into a good player. Iupati immediately makes our o-line much better. Steve Hutchinson and Alan Faneca are two of the most valuable linemen in the NFL. Iupati would be a HUGE upgrade.

You would put a guard #13 on your big board? Consensus around the league is that while Iupati is good, he isn't as dominant an OG as Hutchinson was coming out, and he was only drafted #17. So, to me, #13 is just way too high for an OG, and it's fine if Williams takes a year to develop, because we have Franklin franchised for this year anyways.
Originally posted by Niners23:

You would put a guard #13 on your big board? Consensus around the league is that while Iupati is good, he isn't as dominant an OG as Hutchinson was coming out, and he was only drafted #17. So, to me, #13 is just way too high for an OG, and it's fine if Williams takes a year to develop, because we have Franklin franchised for this year anyways.

Well said Niner23. Williams will have a year to develop and plays NT which is one of the most important positions on our 3-4 defense. If we can have Williams come in and take over the position after Franklin, then we won't have to give Franklin a monster contract and we will have more money to free up our better players like Willis, Vernon Davis and Goldson and Dashon Goldson.
[ Edited by Superbowl09 on Apr 15, 2010 at 4:58 PM ]

First of all we could try Iupati at tackle. At Idaho, the guard position was more important than tackle so Iupati was put there. He has the athleticism to play tackle, but he needs to learn technique. That's why he struggled at the Senior Bowl. He had a week to learn a completely new position. But if he stays at guard, which I think he will, he can be dominant. He has Steve Hutchinson upside. He just needs to learn proper technique. He would be an immediate upgrade. Dan Williams, on the other hand, would not start for a year or two. The NFC West is about as weak as it's going to get, so this would be our best opportunity to win the division. I think Iupati has more upside, fills a bigger need, and would have an immediate impact.

First of all we could try Iupati at tackle. At Idaho, the guard position was more important than tackle so Iupati was put there. He has the athleticism to play tackle, but he needs to learn technique. That's why he struggled at the Senior Bowl. He had a week to learn a completely new position. But if he stays at guard, which I think he will, he can be dominant. He has Steve Hutchinson upside. He just needs to learn proper technique. He would be an immediate upgrade. Dan Williams, on the other hand, would not start for a year or two. The NFC West is about as weak as it's going to get, so this would be our best opportunity to win the division. I think Iupati has more upside, fills a bigger need, and would have an immediate impact.

If you're talking purely immediate impact, signing Chester Pitts is more immediate impact at the OG position than a rookie OG. Also, there's not many people who're projecting Iupati as an OT, so to put him #13 with the assumption that he can play OT is a huge gamble. Don't get me wrong, I like Iupati, and I wouldn't mind him at the 17th spot, but 13th is too early.

If you're talking purely immediate impact, signing Chester Pitts is more immediate impact at the OG position than a rookie OG. Also, there's not many people who're projecting Iupati as an OT, so to put him #13 with the assumption that he can play OT is a huge gamble. Don't get me wrong, I like Iupati, and I wouldn't mind him at the 17th spot, but 13th is too early.
Whoever we rank at 13 will probably be there at 17 because there are a few guys that will be picked before 13 that don't fit what the niners are looking for. I know not many people project Iupati as a tackle. I don't either. I'm just saying that we can try it out. If it works, we have our right tackle. If it doesn't, we move him inside to guard and we have our road grader. I want Pitts but I highly doubt he'll sign with us because no matter what, even if we don't pick a guard in the draft, he will have to compete for a starting job with baas.
Originally posted by Superbowl09:

Well said Niner23. Williams will have a year to develop and plays NT which is one of the most important positions on our 3-4 defense. If we can have Williams come in and take over the position after Franklin, then we won't have to give Franklin a monster contract and we will have more money to free up our better players like Willis, Vernon Davis and Goldson and Dashon Goldson.

I think DT is the most loaded position in the draft from top to bottom. Value isnt there for me, especially since we already have last years 1st rounder sitting the bench with little hope of contributing anything. Dont need two. I can find a promising DT in rounds 3-5.

Im looking at Graham and JPP both as pass rush OLBs. Im done waiting for Manny to live up to the hype. He was making his money in college opposite Mario Williams and Tank Tyler on NC State's 4-3 D-line. I could get a sack or two with them on my team. Manny's contract is coming up next year too. Same theory, just apply it to the OLB.
Share 49ersWebzone