LISTEN: 49ers Play It Smart on Day Two of the Draft →

There are 163 users in the forums

Favorite 49er draft day memory

Such short memories. The year was 1986, the year after we drafted Jerry Rice. Walsh saw the team could get old real fast and started to wheel and deal for more picks. He traded out of the first round because he felt there were so many second-tier level players at similar grades. We came away with one second, three third, and three fourth rounders. Here is what came out.

Second Round: DE Larry Roberts. A serviceable end who was shuttled in for pass rush support.

Third Round: WR John Taylor an all-pro receive opposit of JR who also returned punts; CB Tim McKyer, a very serviceable corner with cocky attitude that served him well; and FB Tom Rathman, who opene holes for Roger Craig and was dependable third down outlet for Montana long before there ever was a Dallas Clark.

Fourth Round (here it really was amazing): OT Steve Wallace, a very dependable LT who was underrated but made a few pro bowls; DT/DE Kevin f*gon who was that decades version of Justin Smith; and DE Charles Haley who was mentioned for Hall of Fame membership this year. BTW, if we never traded Haley to the Cowgirls, we probably would have won two more Super Bowls in the Nineties and be the team of the decade for both the 80s and 90s. Now that was a bad move.

Sixth Round: And for the cherry on top, we get starting CB Don Griffin in the sixth who round and who rounds out our secondary with Lott manning the middle.

How can you not smile at that draft.
Actually I was thrilled too death when we selected Andre Carter. I thought our pass rush woe's were over. We all know how that turned out.
Crabtree for sure. I wanted him for months leading up to the draft, it looked like he wouldn't be there and half the other people on this board said he wouldn't be there, and then it looked like he could slip to us and he did, and I was ridiculously excited. It made me whole week getting Crabtree. Then he held out and I got pissed and ripped my jersey up, but then he started playing for us and I was all happy again
Crabtree for sure. I remember watching the Texas Tech/ Texas and game, and I wanted the niners to draft him SOOOO badly after that. The guy was the definition of clutch, and I went nuts when he fell to #10.
when we drafted steve young.
I was very excited that we drafted Crabtree, but not even close to how stoked I was when we selected Patrick Willis. I watched a lot of his games in college and I knew he would be something special.
Originally posted by SybErkRimInAL:

lol

I remember scratching my head when I heard we traded for him on draft day in 87. Of course by then nobody was questioning Walsh . . . and rightly so.
I hadn't really been big into the draft until the lest few years. My favorite memory would have to be nearly s**tting my pants when we got Crabtree last year.

or VDs
For me it would have to be in 2006 when we drafted Vernon Davis and Manny Lawson just because before the draft started those were the two players that I wanted the 49ers to draft. Its nice when the draft works out the way you wanted it to. When Crabtree fell that was a great feeling to.
  • Shifty
  • Veteran

Best player this team has seen in a long time
Rashaun Woods!
that b*****d never lived up to crap tho. He had me actually thinking he'd replace JJ.
and be a dam good receiver! what do i know...!
Originally posted by JD81:
Last year....Crabtree....I haven't been that happy as a 49er fan since the 2002 Wildcard....

I was pretty excited to get Crabtree last year. As much as I hate to admit it now, I was also thrilled when the Niners traded up and got Stokes. I thought that the they would be untoppable with Rice and Stokes. Didn't quite pan out that way.
Share 49ersWebzone