LISTEN: 49ers Play It Smart on Day Two of the Draft →

There are 354 users in the forums

Offensive linemen ranking

• flow
  • Veteran
The 2010 Draft is deep at offensive line, but not everyone has the same opinion on the ranking at that position.

Please post and--if possible--explain your offensive linemen ranking here. You can either combine the specific positions (center, guard, tackle) or rank them separately. Also, feel free to change your mind as the offseason progresses.

I'll bite. I know most wont agree with my rankings but thats fine

1. Bulaga- He is an absolute mauler in every sense of the word. He has a chance to be prolific. His highlight film does all the talking.

2. Okung- Consensus number 1 OT, but to me his upside is limited. Better in pass pro than run blocking.

3. Trent Williams- I love his balance. He's able to get a good kickout with his first step. People say he may be limited to RT in the NFL, but i beg to differ.

4. Ciron Black- The best lineman in the SEC. He may not be the fastest but he sure is big and strong. Has a surprisingly very good kickstep and despite his size is better in pass pro than run blocking. If for some reason he cant excel at OT, he'd have way better potential @ OG than the one dimensional Iupati.
okung - dominant all around

Bulaga- mauler best run blocker and good pass blocker and has a motor like justin smith another year in college and could be a top 5 pick

Anthony Davis- strong at point of attack and an excellent run and pass blocker has a lot of upside

Trent Williams- he was absolutely pathetic at LT but as a RT he was dominant lucky for us we need a RT he is big and bulky and is serviceable in the run and pass i would rather take the three guys ahead of him and taking him can be very risky but if it works out our line would be dominant

Charles Brown- He is smartest T has good footwork and fundentals knows how to use his hands and never gives up on a play only problem? he is undersized he would get completely non factor in the run game if he doesn't bulk up but is still good pass blocker

Bruce Campbell- Extremely athletic can run a 4.7 40 while being really strong and has long arms although is raw he has the potential to be the best LT in draft but once again he is raw shouldn't start at LT immediately to optimize his production and talent

those are all the guys i would only consider in 1st round in that order
[ Edited by 49ersalldaway126 on Jan 31, 2010 at 5:44 PM ]
no trent williams in the first???
Originally posted by communist:
no trent williams in the first???

Lol I forgot to add him I'll do it later cause I'm not at home but ya for the record I don't like Trent in the first
I just hope we can get Anthony Davis or Trent Williams

If we could land both Trent Williams and Ciron Black I would be very happy. I believe Ciron Black is a better fit as an OG and we could probably get him in the 2nd round.
  • GEEK
  • Veteran
Offensive Tackles:

Okung - No need to explain.
Davis - More potential than Williams
Williams - Threat at RT and LT, but best RT in the draft
Bulaga - The fact he's a junior drops him below Williams IMO
Brown - Good player, but very raw.
Campbell - Why could I see the Raiders selecting him with their 1st?

Offensive Guards:

Iupati - No need to explain.
Asamoah - .5 step below Iupati
Johnson - Love his measurables, but needs more refinement.
Petrus - Step below Johnson
Jerry - On the rise IMO.
Carter - He makes the list cuz he rivals Lady GaGa with the face makeup.

Centers:

Tennent - Solid OC prospect
Walton - Good backup at the next level.
Olsen - Reminds me of Cody Wallace somewhat.

Tweeners (OT, OG, and/or OC):

Pouncey - Max Unger of 2010
Ducasse - OT/OG combo
Capers - Same
Black - Same, but needed to do better in the senior bowl and didn't.
Hickman - Surprise here.
[ Edited by GEEK on Jan 31, 2010 at 9:08 PM ]
How about Saffold and Calloway, where do they fit?
Really good post. I'm sure learning a lot. Please keep it flowing.

• flow
  • Veteran
  • GEEK
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Ninefan56:

Both are solid players - not sure about their capabilities of starting consistently through the season.

You could interchange Black or Johnson's name with Saffold and Calloway on teams's big boards in the same rounds. That's how relatively even they are in my opinion.

There's a lot of good 2nd tier players between the 2nd and 4th rounds of the draft.
Originally posted by GEEK:
Offensive Tackles:

Okung - No need to explain.
Davis - More potential than Williams
Williams - Threat at RT and LT, but best RT in the draft
Bulaga - The fact he's a junior drops him below Williams IMO
Brown - Good player, but very raw.
Campbell - Why could I see the Raiders selecting him with their 1st?

Offensive Guards:

Iupati - No need to explain.
Asamoah - .5 step below Iupati
Johnson - Love his measurables, but needs more refinement.
Petrus - Step below Johnson
Jerry - On the rise IMO.
Carter - He makes the list cuz he rivals Lady GaGa with the face makeup.

Centers:

Tennent - Solid OC prospect
Walton - Good backup at the next level.
Olsen - Reminds me of Cody Wallace somewhat.

Tweeners (OT, OG, and/or OC):

Pouncey - Max Unger of 2010
Ducasse - OT/OG combo
Capers - Same
Black - Same, but needed to do better in the senior bowl and didn't.
Hickman - Surprise here.

exactly the same with you on the tackles
Originally posted by Ninefan56:

I see Saffold as more of a RT or LG. He played LT in college and worked in a ZBS, which is what our new O line coach Solari uses. He's climbing up draft boards, but I see him as a second rounder. The game tape he has against Brandon Graham is great film to watch. He gets beat a few times, but a lot of guys do against Graham.
I think Charles Brown has a lot of potential, and could end up being one of the best tackles from this group. That being said, he is very raw and needs to be coached up a bit. I think Okung and Bulaga are the closest to being sure things, with Williams right behind them. I have Campbell rated pretty low because he grades out mostly on potential. His game tape just isn't that impressive.

1. Okung
2. Bulaga
3. Williams
4. Davis
5. Brown
6. Campbell
7. Veldheer

I left off guys like Ducasse and Saffold, just because they might grade out better as OGs.
Share 49ersWebzone