There are 213 users in the forums

Mel Kiper's 49ers needs?

He's right...except a S > DE
Originally posted by NinerForLife:
Originally posted by YourHuckleberry:
Earl Thomas was the one who blew the coverage on Crabtree in the famous catch against #1 Texas.

Actually I think that was Gideon that blew that play. He at least missed the tackle.

Gideon was the one who dropped the interception on the previous play.

Curtis Brown was the CB guarding Crabtree, but it would've been impossible to make a play the way the ball was thrown. Thomas should've had help over the top, but took a horrible angle.

Originally posted by valrod33:
San Francisco 49ers
Top needs: RT, G, DE, S, CB
First round (13, 16): Trent Williams, Earl Thomas
Second-round options (49): G Mike Iupati, DE Corey Wooton, S Morgan Burnett, CB Kyle Wilson
Third-round options (79): G Jon Asamoah, CB Syd'Quan Thompson, S Major Wright, DE Hall Davis, DE D.J. Wilson, OLB Rico McCoy
Summary: Some people will consider taking a RT at No. 13 a bit of a leap in terms of value, but Williams is an outstanding player that can strengthen you immediately. If the 49ers go with a guard, Iupati is a fantastic one, and the offensive line gets a lot better overnight. Thomas, as I said in the mock, covers a ton of ground and can help immediately. From there the Niners could try to get good value elsewhere in the secondary or look for a DE or even a pass-rushing OLB. I can also see San Francisco taking a later-rounds shot on a QB, but this team needs to focus on more glaring needs early on.

My goodness, that's awfully high for Hall Davis, as well as McCoy. Davis is a good player, but he's a late rounder. 6th-7th round material and he'd need to tack on about 10 pounds or so to really be at the proper weight for a 3-4 End, unless Kiper is suggesting him as an Elephant End Hybrid 'Backer, as he's only about 270-275 pounds.

Perhaps Kiper has forgotten we run a 3-4? Because Rico McCoy might not even make it to 230 on the scales when the combine rolls around. Another 7th round developmental player at best -- and exclusively for a Tampa Two 4-3 defensive scheme.
[ Edited by OnTheClock on Jan 26, 2010 at 5:56 PM ]
Earl Thomas was the one who blew the coverage on Crabtree in the famous catch against #1 Texas.

Actually I think that was Gideon that blew that play. He at least missed the tackle.

Curtis Brown was the CB guarding Crabtree, but it would've been impossible to make a play the way the ball was thrown. Thomas should've had help over the top, but took a horrible angle.

That's right. I just remembered him for blowing the wrong play.
i agree with Kiper 100 percent

Substitute DE with OLB and I'm agree 100%
San Francisco 49ers
Top needs: RT, G, DE, S, CB
First round (13, 16): Trent Williams, Earl Thomas
Second-round options (49): G Mike Iupati, DE Corey Wooton, S Morgan Burnett, CB Kyle Wilson
Third-round options (79): G Jon Asamoah, CB Syd'Quan Thompson, S Major Wright, DE Hall Davis, DE D.J. Wilson, OLB Rico McCoy
Summary: Some people will consider taking a RT at No. 13 a bit of a leap in terms of value, but Williams is an outstanding player that can strengthen you immediately. If the 49ers go with a guard, Iupati is a fantastic one, and the offensive line gets a lot better overnight. Thomas, as I said in the mock, covers a ton of ground and can help immediately. From there the Niners could try to get good value elsewhere in the secondary or look for a DE or even a pass-rushing OLB. I can also see San Francisco taking a later-rounds shot on a QB, but this team needs to focus on more glaring needs early on.

I hope those "some people" don't include McCloughan, because we have ignored this position since Scot Gragg left and it has been killing us ever since. I really hope we get Trent Williams.

Also, we need a return man much more than a DE, S, or CB.

But overall, Kiper shows that he does his homework.
  • Dino
  • Veteran
kyle wilson in the second
Originally posted by SonocoNinerFan:
i agree with Kiper 100 percent

Substitute DE with OLB and I'm agree 100%

I think we need an OLB in the same way we need a QB.

We don't have an outstanding pass rusher at OLB, but we are solid and have potential. Its tough to say we NEED one, unless we know we are getting a top pass rusher, which is impossible to know unless you are getting a top 5 player.

Like at QB, it might be best to give the position another year, and see how it develops.
Originally posted by Dino:

Would be nice

Crabtree is awesome!

Where is the special teams threat? Once again Kiper falls flat, unlike his hair. One Ol in the first round(maybe), then a return man. Book it.
  • smileyman
  • Info N/A
Originally posted by Dino:

He may end up in the first as well as he's doing during the practices this week.
Originally posted by YouGotGored:

Crabtree is awesome!

lol lets hope hes that awesome next year. MORE YAC!!
i still say we need a dynamic gamebreaker who also returns kicks like Spiller or Dez bryant,then we get best RT w the16th and a guard or OLB in 2nd rd.
  • Hopper
  • Veteran
No way iupati makes it to our 2nd round pick. Mike Johnson however should be there.
Share 49ersWebzone