LISTEN: 49ers Play It Smart on Day Two of the Draft →

There are 188 users in the forums

GoFD's 2010 mock 1.0

Fyi on Bruce Campbell (not really on the field stuff, but still interesting):

College football's top workout warriors

8. Bruce Campbell, Maryland, OT:
The Terps have been good for a few workout warriors, and the 6-6, 306-pound Campbell is a supersized version. Maryland strength coach Dwight Galt calls him "one of a kind." Campbell certainly has the bloodlines. His father, Bruce, starred for the Providence College hoops team in the '70s before he was drafted by the Nets.

Earlier this month, Campbell bench-pressed 490 pounds, which is impressive, especially considering the length of his arms. He also ran a 4.82 40. "Bruce looks like a Greek God," Galt says. "He almost looks like a bodybuilder. He's the offensive line version of Vernon Davis."

[ Edited by GoFD74 on Dec 28, 2009 at 10:43 PM ]
Good mock very complete
Originally posted by Reckless:
How much stock do you put into Campbell being a day 1 starter? He's REALLY raw.

He's definitely raw, but if they do draft him, they'll plug him right in and make him drink from the fire hose. He probably won't be solid until mid-way through year 2, but that's the chance you take with a guy like that.

Don't get me wrong, if Anthony Davis or Trent Williams are available at that pick, they'll go in that direction (and they should)...but I doubt those guys will be around, so it will likely be a choice between Bulaga (if he declares) and Campbell.
I like it!
Originally posted by GoFD74:

The Terps have been good for a few workout warriors, and the 6-6, 306-pound Campbell is a supersized version. Maryland strength coach Dwight Galt calls him "one of a kind." Campbell certainly has the bloodlines. His father, Bruce, starred for the Providence College hoops team in the '70s before he was drafted by the Nets.

Earlier this month, Campbell bench-pressed 490 pounds, which is impressive, especially considering the length of his arms. He also ran a 4.82 40. "Bruce looks like a Greek God," Galt says. "He almost looks like a bodybuilder. He's the offensive line version of Vernon Davis."

If he is that good why won't he go higher than our picks? He will go higher based on measurables alone. Al Davis will pick him just based on #'s. Or somebody will.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
I think Bruce Campbell will definitely be on McCloughan's radar IMO. Workout warriors and athletic O-lineman seem to top McCloughan's scouting chart, and Bruce Campbell is exactly that
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:

If he is that good why won't he go higher than our picks? He will go higher based on measurables alone. Al Davis will pick him just based on #'s. Or somebody will.

It's possible, but even though I think Campbell will move up the draft boards from where he is currently projected, I also think picking him at around 11-15 is a slight reach....but the point is, I think they will reach to get the OT they want.

Worse case, they select Bulaga.
[ Edited by GoFD74 on Dec 28, 2009 at 11:19 PM ]
Originally posted by Reckless:
How much stock do you put into Campbell being a day 1 starter? He's REALLY raw.

He's definitely raw, but if they do draft him, they'll plug him right in and make him drink from the fire hose. He probably won't be solid until mid-way through year 2, but that's the chance you take with a guy like that.

Don't get me wrong, if Anthony Davis or Trent Williams are available at that pick, they'll go in that direction (and they should)...but I doubt those guys will be around, so it will likely be a choice between Bulaga (if he declares) and Campbell.

What about Charles Brown?
Ghost
Render, I assume, is depth for the time being? So that means we play next year with the same interior line as this year? Oh..........

Um, Happy New Year Ghost!
Nice draft i've seen pretty much every MD game this year and going off his play on the field he's overrated. But once this guy measures up folks will be calling. He doesn't play with a fire under his ass. But like most MD players they tend to get better once they hit the NFL b/c MD coaching staff is terrible and developing talent. they got the talent speed and size, but they never coach it up properly. thus a lot of them take longer to develop once they hit the NFL.

i think .40 time wil be real critical for Warren's draft status. He has the size and ball skills but as a Michigan fan I can tell you the dude is slow.
[ Edited by lamontb on Dec 29, 2009 at 8:38 AM ]

• mayo49
  • Veteran
Spiller would look good in our offense. I just don't think McCloughan will ever do it. I think it'll be an OT and CB for those first two picks.
[ Edited by mayo63 on Dec 29, 2009 at 8:04 AM ]
Just a quick note. For whatever reason, Campbell scares me. Yes, he's a terrific workout warrior... but as all the world knows, he's incredibly raw.

Too raw, I might fear.

I'm just so weary of taking a guy who isn't very polished in technique just yet, especially consider how horrific our OL coaching appears to be. I suppose if we hired a new guy, then I'd be more comfortable taking Campbell, but he's one of the picks I'm not as high on
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Considering we're dropping in the draft by the week, I think Buluga will end up being our RT pick.
I wouldn't mind this mock. I'm still on the "use both 1st round picks on O-Line" bandwagon, but it would be really hard to say no to CJ Spiller. I still would rather have Anthony Davis though.
Originally posted by English:
Ghost
Render, I assume, is depth for the time being? So that means we play next year with the same interior line as this year? Oh..........

Um, Happy New Year Ghost!

Signing a veteran OG to replace Baas and drafting a RT is the ideal scenario...I just don't know who will be available in free agency that would be a true upgrade. Not to mention, I remember how down people were on Justin Smiley last year (and rightfully so). However, he played well in Miami before being injured, so maybe it's not so much the players....perhaps the system/coaching/QB play have a lot to do with how "bad" our o-line appears.
Share 49ersWebzone