LISTEN: 49ers Play It Smart on Day Two of the Draft →

There are 142 users in the forums

Sam Bradford

Originally posted by wadjay:
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:
Originally posted by wadjay:
After todays game I am back on the Bradford bandwagon should he be available. I think its clear Smith will never be a QB that is going to take us to the promised land.

I apologize, but this post exemplifies the problem with most of our fans.

Why the extreme reaction after one game? How on earth can you say "I think it's clear Smith will never be a QB that is going to take us to the promised land" ? Why the heck not? There have been games this year when he was pretty much the only one making anything happen on offense. But now, after a rough game with (gasp!) Three Interceptions (everyone knows that a good QB NEVER has that sort of game) now we can say that it's clear that he will never be a QB that is going to take us to the promised land.

Alex Smith has shown himself to be a toughminded, accurate quarterback with above average physical tools.

Yes, I said accurate. Not exceptionally accurate, but accurate.

Unfortunately, as fans we seem to over obsess with the 3 or 4 throws a game that are a little bit off. But let me ask you - have you noticed the 3 or 4 throws a game that the opposing QB has been a little bit off? Donovan had a good 5 or 6 this past game. Peyton had at least as many when we played the Colts. Are they inaccurate?

And on top of those traits, Alex is growing in his areas of weakness and is becoming more of a leader on this team.

If he showed anything this past week, it was that he was trying too hard to force this team to be better than it is right now.

We need to improve as a team. I like Sam Bradford, but if we draft him and put him back there - our team will not be any better than it is with Alex Smith.

Umm.. ok. If you think Alex Smith is an accurate passer then we will just have a difference of opinion. Out of the pocket he isnt too bad. On the run he isn't acurate at all.

I dont think its a "problem" as you put it to want much better QB play and to expect it. Now, I do believe he is better than Shaun Hill and should be the starter. If we dont get a better QB for next year than he should still start. I just do not believe Alex Smith is going to be the QB that leads this team to the playoffs.

We have a LOT of holes on this team and QB is one of them in my opinion. If there was an elite college QB that fell to the Niners I think it would be foolish to pass. Now, maybe Sam Bradford isnt that guy and maybe its stupid to pass on other key positions. I can buy that. However, it doesnt change the fact that Smith is terribly erratic at the most important postion on the field.

I apologize if I came over as too harsh. I realize we may have a difference of opinion on the quality of Alex Smith - that's to be expected. What bothers me about our fans in general is the incredible sway in opinions from one week to the next, one week falling in love with a player, the next week kicking him to the curb.

That may or may not apply to you, it simply bothered me that it sounded like your opinion of Alex Smith came primarily as a reaction to just this week's poor performance.

After todays game I am back on the Bradford bandwagon should he be available. I think its clear Smith will never be a QB that is going to take us to the promised land.

Anyway, I'm done hi-jacking this thread now. My opinion is this - I like Sam Bradford, but I think we'd be very foolish to draft him given our team's current situation.

Actually I have not been someone that has been raving about him or ripping him from week to week. I was happy that he got the starting nod because I felt it was important to see what he could do over the last 10 games or so of the year. As I have watched him over the last several weeks his accuracy issues have become clear to me. His performance yesterday was really any different that the games against Seattle and Arizona the previous 2 weeks.

It will be a tough call in the draft. They obviously need to upgrade the OL first and foremost but I also know that its tough to pass on a potential franchise QB when your current one hasnt shown that he has what it takes. I do believe that Bradford will be gone anyway by the time the Niners do pick and that Smith will still be the QB next year.
  • TX9R
  • Veteran
Bradford has too many questions for this team to take that risk. Hasn't played meaningful football in over a year, injury concern, spread QB no exp in dropping back, only one real good year of production and with a NFL cast, they few times he has actually had pressure has not looked good. I would be for taking a QB if he was a beter prospect, like a Sr from a pro system for starters. As bad as Smith looked yesterday he's esentailly a rookie QB, they will have days like that. We have no beter alternative than to give him all of next season. I don't really see a great prospect in this year's draft at QB worth a high draft pick.
Originally posted by teeohh:
I saw a highlight video and it seemed like he would just throw short passes that the receivers took to the house or for crazy yac afterwards. How accurate is he downfield?

Sam Bradford throws the most accurate deep ball I have ever seen.

He also has beautiful touch.

His main questions are
1) Will his injury be a problem?
2) Can he make plays under pressure in the NFL?

But if he is available with one of our picks without having to trade up, we HAVE to give him a try.

However, after workouts, I think he's going top 3, by trade or otherwise.
Kiper thinks Bradford slides, this is a WHAT IF he was there at 13 or 16, do you take or pass?
Originally posted by maximill15:
Kiper thinks Bradford slides, this is a WHAT IF he was there at 13 or 16, do you take or pass?

Personally I pass.
He's not falling to us...even if he did, and let's say Haden or Spiller were still there, either of them would be better picks than Bradford. One of these teams will take him...Rams, 'Skins, 'Hawks, Bills. I think Clausen has more upside than Bradford...he's definitely tougher. I'm not optimistic about Bradford's NFL future...at least not nearly as much as many seem to be. I see him as one big hit away from crumbling...
  • Jcool
  • Veteran
Bradford is a pretty overrated player so i would not touch him with either of the 1st round picks. I'm still confused on why hes so highly regarded
would you be willing to trade our 2 first rounders to move up and get him? I feel he would be worth it. He wouldn't have to start this year and I'm just not sold on Smith. If Smith doesn't work out THIS year I feel we will be stuck in mediocrity for a while.

[ Edited by sdaddy101269 on Mar 30, 2010 at 10:57:56 ]
um....no.
nope. and i'm assuming you meant our 2 first rounders?

Originally posted by HessianDud:
um....no.

Um why? I see people posting about trading those picks to get Okung?? If thats the case then use them to get a franchise QB instead.
Originally posted by sdaddy101269:
um....no.

Um why? I see people posting about trading those picks to get Okung?? If thats the case then use them to get a franchise QB instead.

because we don't need to start over with a rookie qb. And we don't need to give up that many picks in a deep draft when we could use them instead to get multiple starters.
Originally posted by BirdmanJr:
Originally posted by sdaddy101269:
um....no.

because we don't need to start over with a rookie qb. And we don't need to give up that many picks in a deep draft when we could use them instead to get multiple starters.

I can see that but in order to be a great team we need a great QB. If Smith doesn't work we may not have the draft picks like we do know to move up and get a good QB. looking at the current crop of college QB's there won't be a good one around for us to draft if we're constantly picking in the middle rounds.
Share 49ersWebzone