There are 195 users in the forums

2018 offseason blueprint

It's rare that a 6-win team is positioned to contend, but this is not a 6-10 team. This is a 5-0 team—it simply was not the same team before Jimmy took over.

We all know there's a lot to be excited for this offseason, so let's get to it.

Key extensions:

QB: Jimmy Garoppolo: It'll cost us $25-30M/year, but there's no doubt at this point that he's the future of the franchise. Pay the man.

WR: Marquise Goodwin: Exceeded expectations as a player and a human being. Great chemistry with our FQB. Currently underpaid. Concussion history is concerning, but Goodwin will likely post 1,000 yards with a full season w/Garoppolo and then cost twice as much to extend as a UFA in 2019.

T: Trenton Brown: Recent (overhyped) drama aside, Brown has been a durable starter, and he's rightly considered one of the best pass pro RTs in the league (I also think he's our answer at LT once Staley eventually hangs em up). He's getting paid as a seventh rounder right now. Assuming his labrum recovery is on-schedule, an extension is a no-brainer investment in keeping our new franchise QB clean.

SS: Eric Reid: He likely won't get many offers elsewhere, he's excellent competition for Tartt, and he provides depth at multiple positions.

LB: Brock Coyle: Brock showed more than enough to warrant an extension as a backup and core special teams player.

DT: Tank Carradine: "Elite-6" played well in limited snaps this year. Shines when lined up over the TE.

OG: Brandon Fusco: Despite playing thru injury, Fusco was the best piece of a lousy interior line. Quality insurance inside.

FA Additions:

OL: Ryan Jensen: He might get tagged; if not, this signing is a no-brainer. He'd provide a major and much-needed upgrade at center.

RB: Frank Gore: At 34, Frank can't be viewed as a feature back. He'd be excellent on third down, however. Short yardage, pass pro, veteran leadership—he still has a lot to offer on a 1-year deal worth maybe $2-3M that brings Frank back to the Bay Area to retire a niner. It'll be good for the team on the field and in the locker room, it'll be good for our young RBs to learn from a consummate pro, and it'll be good for the fanbase.

TE: Jimmy Graham: He isn't the player he was in NOLA, but he's still a redzone threat (10 TDs this season despite less than 500 yards receiving), and he'd likely come cheap. Guys like Goodwin and Taylor are effective in space, but there's a reason we kicked so many field goals this year. You need big radius targets when the field gets small.

CB: Trumaine Johnson: It's time to break out the checkbook. Our CB situation is paper thin (we only have two who are worth a damn), and we can't rely on spoon and a rookie outside next year. Johnson is a ball hawk, has the ideal length you look for in a press corner and after two straight tags, I think he'll hit the market. Signing him away from the division champs is icing.

WR: Taylor Gabriel: I don't want a good WR core; I want a scary one. You're the opposing DC facing four-wide on 3rd-and-6 with Garçon and Gabriel on one side of the formation and Taylor and Goodwin on the other. Jimmy GQ is in the shotgun. Good luck.

LEO: Ezekiel Ansah: Pro-bowler DeMarcus Laurence makes a lot of sense, but two back surgeries are concerning for someone who will command a huge contract if he hits the open market; besides, I expect Dallas to retain him. Ansah wants out of Detroit. 41 career sacks in 5 seasons. A 14.5 sack pro bowl season in 2015. I'd be good w/him and Elvis at LEO going into 2018.

SAM: Nigel Bradham: 28-year old coming off two productive seasons in Philly, Nigel represents a significant upgrade over Eli Harold (80.5 pff rating vs 47.7).

Addition through subtraction:

RB: Carlos Hyde: I honestly think Hyde is a better talent than he's been able to showcase in SF. I don't think I'm alone in that assessment—Hyde will get a feature back contract offer somewhere. I doubt the niners will match it.

DB: Jimmy Ward: Due $8.5M in 2018 and can't stay healthy. Colbert made him expendable.

DE: Aaron Lynch: Recent healthy scratches make this move pretty clear.

CB: Dontae Johnson: Corners need to have short memories. When DJ has a bad series or gets flagged (which happens way too often—he led the team in penalties this year), he gets shook and needs to be sat for a series or two to collect himself. Not good.

OL: Kilgore, Tomlinson, and Beadles are all welcome to compete in the spring, but I'm not holding my breath.

Draft:

Round 1: Quenton Nelson, OG, Notre Dame: Is #9 or 10 overall ridiculous for a guard? Yes, but Nelson is a ridiculous prospect. Not sure I buy the "poor scheme fit" argument—this kid is utterly dominant. Rare instance where BPA meets greatest need.

Round 2: Auden Tate, WR, FSU: There will be a run on big-bodied receivers in rounds 2-3, so take your pick here. On the basis of production, this spot is a reach, but someone is going to draft this kid early. If he runs 4.5 this spring at 6'5" and 225 lbs, he likely won't even be available at this spot near the end of round two. Tate is going to win a lot of 50/50 balls. He high-points the ball very well and shows strong hands. He'll shine in the redzone.

Round 3, pick 1: Sony Michel, RB, Georgia: He might have been Nick Chubb's backup at UGA, but my bet is he'll be the better pro. I love him for Kyle's system. His vision and cutback ability shout ZBS, he's a better receiver than Chubb (or Hyde, for that matter), he's elusive in the open field, and he finishes runs with authority.

Round 3, pick 2: Isaiah Wynn, OL, Georgia: Two Bulldogs in the third. Like Michel, this kid seems like an ideal Shanahan-type player. Undersized for left tackle at 305 lbs and 6'3" in thick socks, he'll move back inside in the NFL. Projects well to center or guard in a zone scheme that highlights his movement skills and aggressive demeanor. He won several team awards at UGA and seems like the kind of guy you want in your locker room.

Round 4: Devron Davis, CB, UTSA: Okay, I stole this pick from that forth-and-nine article, but there's nothing wrong with taking a high-ceiling midround flyer on a position of need. Davis is an athletic, physical six-foot, 210lb JUCO transfer who left Colorado for "family reasons" before finishing up with two stellar seasons at UT San Antonio. After seemingly getting burned with the Joe Williams pick against his better judgement, we'll see if Lynch is amenable to another atypical prospect. If Davis doesn't develop outside, he looks every bit the part of a safety prospect and core special teams player.

Round 5: Jalen Davis, CB, Utah State: Another ultra-athletic small school standout corner named Davis, Jalen projects to nickel in the NFL. He had five picks this year, taking three to the house. Davis started 36 games for the Aggies.

Round 6: Bentley Spain, LT, UNC: Three-year starter who protected Trubisky's blind side last year, Spain is an ideal developmental tackle prospect. Long and athletic, he needs to put on some weight and get a lot stronger for the NFL.

Round 7 (2 selections): Maybe we can find another gem here like Colbert or Brown.

The 53 (additions bolded):

Offense:
QB: Garoppolo, Beathard
RB: Michel, Gore, Breida, Williams
FB: Juszczyk
TE: Kittle, Graham, Celek, Paulson
WR: Garçon, Goodwin, Tate, Bourne, Boldin
Slot: Taylor, Gabriel
LT: Staley, Spain
LG: Nelson, Fusco
C: Jensen, Wynn
RG: Garnett, Wynn
RT: Brown, Magnuson

Defense:
MIKE: Foster, Coyle
WILL: Smith, Reid
SAM: Bradham, Harold
LEO: Ansah, Dumervil, Marsh
DT: Buckner, Thomas, Day, Carradine, Armstead
NT: Mitchell, Jones
SS: Tartt, Reid
FS: Colbert, Tartt
CB: Trumaine Johnson, Witherspoon, D.Davis, Maybin
Slot: Williams, J.Davis

ST:
K: Gould
P/KOS: Pinion
PR: Taylor
KR: Breida
This would be an outstanding offseason
Cut Williams for Gore? I hope not. We're not likely to carry 4 RBs.

Not a fan of T Johnson or Graham, I really like the other signings.

I personally think this is overkill on the Oline, but I'm probably in the minority there.

Adding Gabriel and Tate solidifies the WR position for me.
Frank gore

Jimmy graham

Gabriel

Like the Nelson/Michel/Davis picks
Joe Williams came to the 49ers with major question marks/red flags and has only created more. They stashed him on the IR w/a nothing injury because he wouldn't have cleared wavers. I don't expect much or anything moving forward. Maybe he'll surprise me.

And yeah, I'd love to have Gore back on one or two year retirement contract. I think he has a lot of value as a third down back... tho I acknowledge maybe I'm just being a homer.

Gabriel was outstanding under Kyle in ATL and would be again in SF.

I'm not a huge fan of Jimmy Graham personally, but we're not going to win many games kicking field goals.
[ Edited by post_primitive on Jan 8, 2018 at 1:10 PM ]
And I'd gladly take Fuller over Johnson. I just feel like Johnson has a better chance of hitting the market.
Love this... Nice job. I just appreciate different views.
I stopped reading at Frank Gore. He is literally the last thing Shanahan wants for a RB.
You went overboard on the extensions Frank Gore?
Originally posted by post_primitive:
And I'd gladly take Fuller over Johnson. I just feel like Johnson has a better chance of hitting the market.

This

Originally posted by NYniner85:
Frank gore

Jimmy graham

Gabriel

Like the Nelson/Michel/Davis picks

Literally how I felt except I think with the depth at interior line that our 1st could be used elsewhere. Nelson's a beat but I'll take Smith all day and get Braden or Teller later.
I think your blueprint ran out of ink bro.
Love Tate & Michel in the draft
I think the 2nd is early for Tate but I may be off. Love Sony Michel! He'll outplay Chubb in NFL IMO
I could live with Smith in the first. Nelson is probably gone anyway.
Share 49ersWebzone