A very special San Francisco 49ers fan

Jun 20, 2010 at 7:55 PM7

I want to take a moment to tell you about a very special San Francisco 49ers fan. He was born in 1943, grew up about an hour north of Bakersfield, California, and went to college at Fresno State. As a teenager, the first 49ers game he attended was a preseason game played at Bakersfield Junior College. Even after moving to Los Angeles, he still followed the 49ers with a passion. After all, back then, the team was dominating so they were one of the feature teams every Sunday. At the time, there were no internet news sources and there certainly was not the level of team access that we have now. Yet he followed the team season after season, whether it be before or after Sunday service.

Every Sunday, his son saw his dad watching these players on television. They were led by some guy wearing number 16 and he did not fully understand the legacy that this guy would leave behind and certainly did not realize that he was quietly observing a living legend. The household was a 49ers household and the passion for this team was slowly rubbing off on his son. The kid watched as his father showed frustration during losses and a sense of accomplishment during wins ... especially during wins against hated Dallas. Yet it was not until much later that he would fully understand why these Cowboys were so hated.

Years later, the man would attend his first 49ers game at Candlestick Park and take his son with him. It became one of the child's fondest early memories. Not because he finally got to see the team that he had grown to love, but because he was sharing the experience with his father, the man he grew up loving and admiring.

In case you have not figured it out by now, this story is about my father. His passion for the 49ers was only one of what I hope are many admirable characteristics passed on to me. I am a second generation 49ers fan and proud of it. The 49ers offered a unique opportunity to bond with my father and led to many other conversations that helped me understand who he was and the life that he lived. He would always want to discuss new player signings or the game that had just passed over any given weekend.

There are so many traits that I admire about my father. In 2008, he fell and shattered his knee. Even as he lays in a hospital bed, having been there for the past month and enduring multiple surgeries, his courage and determination to recover and walk again is yet another example of his strength and will. This is another characteristic that I have grown to admire. Even though I remember it as if it were yesterday, we are a long way from that first visit to Candlestick Park. However, just like that chilly evening spent among the swirling winds of Candlestick Point, I value every moment and experience that I get to spend with him.

My father was a high school teacher during his entire career. He taught math and touched many lives over the years. He has taught the children of former students and was one of the most admired teachers at his high school. I know this because I attended the high school for four years and no one had a single bad thing to say about him, even the kids who did not pass his class. Any time we would go out, I remember former students wanting to come up to him and say hello or thank him for the guidance that he provided. They would introduce him to their wives and children. Some would mention that his class was a turning point in their lives. It was the class that turned things around for them if their lives were headed down the wrong path. Not necessarily because of what he taught, but because he believed that they were capable of learning it.

At the time, I was in awe at how many people knew my father and how many people he affected during his life. What he probably does not realize is how many people he has indirectly affected as well. 49erswebzone.com has touched the lives of many people over the years. Countless friendships have been formed on this site, relationships have blossomed, and at least one child has been born from one of those relationships. Fans gather before and after games, get together outside of games, and even come to the rescue of their fellow fans when one is in need. I have witnessed some amazing examples of compassion among the fans of this site. None of this would have ever happened without my father because without him, I would not have become a fan. Without him, there would be no 49erswebzone.com. So in a way, he is responsible for it all. Many years ago, it was he who set the wheels in motion.

So on this Father's Day, I would like to give all of the fathers out there my best wishes. I would like all the sons and daughters who visit this site to remember to treasure every moment you get to spend with your fathers. For my father, I would like to thank him for everything that he taught me over the years and helping to make me the man that I am today. I love you dad and hope for a speedy recovery so that we can continue making even more fond memories. One day in the near future, I hope to go to Candlestick Park with you again.

Happy Father's Day from 49erswebzone.com.

• yolanda escalante
    David.. What a wonderful article. Thank you so very much for sharing the bond you hold with your Dad...I'm sure he's very proud of you. I sincerely hope your Dad is up and about soon...so you can take him to the games this season. In the meantime, he will be in my prayers. Thanks again David.
    Jul 11, 2010 at 5:31 PM
  • ravz510
    That awesome. I got family in porterville. Bear Pascoe grew up not to far from there
    Jun 23, 2010 at 10:51 PM
  • charles
    GREAT FATHER'S DAY ARTICLE--WISH MY DAD WAS STILL AROUND TO SHARE IT WITH. THANKS.
    Jun 23, 2010 at 4:19 PM
  • ravz510
    Great article!!!! where in the valley did your father teach and where did he grow up? if you dont mind me asking.
    Jun 22, 2010 at 12:27 AM
    Response: He grew up in a town called Porterville and taught in the Pasadena area, where I am originally from.
  • ut jd niner
    Great column. Thank you for sharing this story with us.
    Jun 21, 2010 at 12:43 PM
  • tyler
    The 49ers really do have the best fans in the world. Thanks for sharing that with me. I hope your dad makes a speedy recovery and is out of the hospital in time to watch us get our 6th ring!
    Jun 20, 2010 at 9:32 PM
  • Patrick
    Well done David! I really enjoyed reading this.
    Jun 20, 2010 at 8:05 PM

San Francisco 49ers favored by 9 at home vs. New Orleans Saints - Week 12, 2022 odds and pick

By Winston Chung
Nov 22

The San Francisco 49ers were clicking on all cylinders in a 38-10 throttling of a hapless Arizona Cardinals team in Mexico City on Monday night football. The Niners are again favored by more than a touchdown as they return home on a short week to welcome another bottom-dwelling team in the New Orleans Saints. Here we discuss the odds and analysis from a betting perspective. When: Sunday November 27th, 2022 at 1:25pm (FOX) Where: Levi's Stadium, Santa Clara, California Line: 49ers -9; o/u 43 New Orleans Saints The New Orleans Saints handled a reeling Los Angeles Rams team who were without Cooper Kupp and down Matthew Stafford leaving with a concussion. Andy Dalton tossed 3 touchdowns on 21-25 passing for 260 yards and Chris

49ers-Cardinals: How to watch, stream, and listen to the Week 11 matchup

By Site Staff
Nov 16

The San Francisco 49ers will travel internationally this week to face the NFC West rival Arizona Cardinals on ESPN's Monday Night Football, live from Estadio Azteca in Mexico City. This matchup is one of five NFL games to be played internationally this season and will mark the 62nd meeting all-time between the two teams, with San Francisco leading the series, 32- 29. This matchup is also a rematch of the first-ever regular season game played outside of the United States, when the Cardinals and 49ers squared off at Estadio Azteca in 2005. The Niners are coming off their second straight win after beating the Los Angeles Chargers 22-16. The 49ers offense put up 387 total net yards, including 157 rushing yards on 41 carries. QB Jimmy Garoppolo completed 19 of his 28 passing

49ers-Cardinals: Kyle Shanahan rules out Javon Kinlaw, provides update on Arik Armstead

Nov 16

The San Francisco 49ers are at The Broadmoor in Colorado Springs, getting ready for three days of practice (starting on Thursday) before heading to Mexico City for Monday night's game against the Arizona Cardinals. Two key defensive linemen—Arik Armstead and Javon Kinlaw—have missed significant time. Armstead has not played since Week 4 due to foot and ankle injuries. San Francisco placed Kinlaw on injured reserve on October 15 due to setbacks in his surgically reconstructed knee. He is now eligible to have his practice window opened, though. Head coach Kyle Shanahan joined KNBR this morning. He provided updates on both

What Kyle Shanahan said about the Cardinals' recent success vs. the 49ers

Nov 16

The Arizona Cardinals are 4-6 and have lost four of their last six games. However, they got a much-needed victory this past weekend against the Los Angeles Rams, who dropped to the bottom of the NFC West standings. The San Francisco 49ers have won two straight and look to extend that streak on Monday night against the Cardinals. Arizona has had the Niners' number of late, though. Head coach Kyle Shanahan has lost three of his last four meetings with the Cardinals, so he isn't looking past them in Week 11. The coach joined KNBR this morning and tried to explain why the 49ers have struggled in recent years against the Cardinals. "The Cardinals, I always look at [them] as a real good team," Shanahan said on the Murph & Mac show. "They've

More by David Bonilla