49ers Need to Draft a Quarterback

Apr 15, 2010 at 4:59 PM

The following article is an exclusive guest piece by Matthew Davin. Matthew is a writer for DraftWatchers.com, a site that focuses on draft analysis.
When I think of a quarterback for the 49ers, I think of Shaun "Will Ferrel" Hill, chucking up ducks and picks for all defenses to feast on. Then I contemplate Alex Smith, who did look good, but I don't think has the mojo to be the team leader for a whole season.

In less than two weeks, I the 49ers are going to be in great position to do two things at one time. Since they obviously they have two first round mid-picks, why not take advantage of a very good situation, and draft one player for now, and another for the short term future.

My first pick would be an area of need. 49ers fans: YOU NEED AN OFFENSIVE LINEMAN. I don't care who. Shift some guys around, and pick the best player available. But after that, there should be no doubt that a quarterback for your soon future should be considered. It's not like San Francisco is Detroit or St. Louis. They are a team that is on the brink of the playoffs. But do you think Alex Smith is that guy? The answer to that is no. With a guy like that, you will always be one year away from making the playoffs till he is out of there. Jimmy Clausen is the guy that will take this team to the next level.

I sure a lot of you Rice-A-Roni people are thinking something more immediate, but don't get greedy. In a league that moves at the speed of light when it comes to rebuilding, you may as well get a step ahead of that and draft a big arm, that can make Michael Crabtree an even more viable threat. Jimmy Clausen makes the big plays, and gets it done. Frank Gore ... more effective. Vernon Davis ... more open. Jimmy Clausen ... a good risk when you have a chance to afford one.

• James
    Uhhhhh swing and a miss?
    Apr 16, 2010 at 11:38 PM
  • mike
    First of all, you're an idiot to think Clausen will be a great QB. And quite frankly, the Niners are on the cusp of being a legitimate playoff team. If you are going to spend a first round pick on a quarterback, trade #13 and next year's second round pick to Pittsburgh for Big Ben. It sounds as if the Rooney's are interested in deals. That's the only way I would spend a first rounder this year on a QB.
    Apr 16, 2010 at 10:27 PM
  • jeff b
    your an idiot i stopped reading after you said hill threw a lot of interceptions. obviously you have no idea what your talking about.
    Apr 16, 2010 at 4:07 PM
  • Frank
    It's easy to say the Niners need a QB...but when you look closer at the situation, it's not so easy. If they were to draft Clausen, they'd have 4 QB's....so one would have to go. It wouldn't be Alex, nor Nate Davis. Carr would appear to be the odd-man out. I seriously doubt Singletary would accept opening the next season w/Alex, Davis and Clausen. Both he and OC Jimmy Raye want a veteran behind Alex...for good reason. It's obvious the writer doesn't understand all this...but, that's where we knowledgeable fans come in.
    Apr 16, 2010 at 3:22 PM
  • getaclue
    ok who here is an NFL scout???.... k now that thats settled all of u morons needs to shut up and stop acting like you know what you are talking about. bottom line is all of u just go by watching some college games and what other people say. none of u break down game film looking at technique and wouldnt even know what specifics to look for even if you did. the only things fans can get right is when its an obvious need on the team that shows dramatically..like our need for OT. i know its fun to debate players to take in draft but keep things in perspective that none of us know about scouting a NFL player
    Apr 16, 2010 at 12:10 PM
  • Peter H.
    49ers need to draft Offensive Line Joe Haden? Jimmy Clausen? Trade up for Eric Berry? Dez Bryant??? CJ Spiller? It's as obvious for the 49ers to draft an offensive linemen with their 13th pick in the 2010 NFL Draft as it is that Sam Bradford, Ndamukong Suh, and Gerald McCoy will be selected in that order. I mean #1, 2, and 3 were already the consensus a long time ago and so was the glaring need at offensive line. Do you want to put Jimmy Clausen behind that offensive line? Might as well name him the next Alex Smith! Did you ever see Jimmy Clausen in his first year at Notre Dame? If you didn't here's a highlight or should I say, lowlight reel of him: see Jimmy Clausen for Heisman on youtube I mean I really don't quite understand the logic some people have here. If you put CJ Spiller behind our offensive line, he's not going to do much better then Frank Gore. If you put Colt McCoy (who I think is a better QB then Clausen) behind center, he is still going to take longer then Clausen to develop because they ran shotgun most of the time at Texas. Regardless, the 49ers need to select an OFFENSIVE TACKLE. Please...please Draft Warlord Baakle, heir to the throne, plea
    Apr 16, 2010 at 8:09 AM
  • WTF?
    I dont know what you were looking at but Jimmy Clausen is a chucker. He is horrible and will NEVER make it in the NFL NEVER BE A STARTER. HERE ME NOW NEVER NEVER NEVER. he might ge this shot but it will be short lived. He is a panicky loser. Great a losing games and getting bitch slapped. Drafting him would be a waste
    Apr 16, 2010 at 7:13 AM
  • Dan B.
    I remember when I first started writing on football forums in my teens; I look back and laugh at my thoughts then, which where uninformed and "out there". I never thought pragmatically and I got a kick out of stirring the pot. I used ALL CAPS sometimes just to make a point. Well after I got laughed at a few times I learned to not talk about things that sound intrinsically true but in reality they arent. Your uninformed and bystander assesment of our teams needs is clear when you say " Jimmy clause... a good risk when you have a chance to afford one" What??? We have no RT; a good LT whose been hurt, an aging center, a horrible backup left gaurd and chilo rachal leaves all of us scratching our head not knowing which chilo is showing up. And you want to put a QB behind that Huh??
    Apr 16, 2010 at 12:57 AM
  • Ted B
    Are you basing Clausen's performance from college, combines, or private workouts?? Did you watch any of the Notre Dame games? Rick Mirer was a god compared to Clausen and you know how Mirer turned out or do you?. If your going to post a commentary and not provide facts, don't bother. There are countless commentaries/opinions of "experts" that have been posted yet fail to mention circumstances or situations. That's what this team needs, pay millions to another unproven commodity and not address the most glaring need, the O-line. I love how you try to address this weakness with such a well thought out suggestion. The biggest regret I have is I wasted my time reading your article and wasting more time responding to it.
    Apr 15, 2010 at 11:48 PM
  • Nick S.
    "Then I contemplate Alex Smith, who did look good, but I don't think has the mojo to be the team leader for a whole season." Hey Matt, you do know Alex Smith did take every single snap as quarterback of the San Francisco 49ers in 2006, right? This is what I don't like about league-wide football "experts." It's nearly impossible for one to watch every play of every game of a given NFL season, so why pretend to think one knows what is best for all 32 teams? Add to that the complete lack of statistical or anecdotal evidence given to support the author's thesis. This article is a complete bust from start to finish and reads more like a message board posting.
    Apr 15, 2010 at 11:24 PM
  • sf4916
    How will Clausen help the 9ers get to the playoffs? How will he make Gore more effective? Will he block for Gore on the right side since that was such a gaping hole last year? This analysis is garbage since he doesn't give specific examples of how Clausen is better than Alex. I know I'm in the minority among 9er fans but I rather wing it with Alex in 2010 to finally see what he's made of, rather than giving up and trust another new quarterback running the team and failing once again t make it to the playoffs.
    Apr 15, 2010 at 9:38 PM
  • greebs
    Given that you wrote to "49ers fans" I think it's clear you aren't a keen observer of the team. Jimmy Clausen has one major fault: HE ISN'T GOOD. And, the team can win the division without improvement at QB. Were there clearly great QB options that would be available, I'd tend to agree. But Clausen is a total question mark - inconsistent arm, accuracy and he's NEVER WON. Sorry folks, that's a waste - plus he's an arrogant punk. Pass, please - let's take Joe Haden and Anthony Davis instead.
    Apr 15, 2010 at 6:12 PM

49ers-Rams Inactives: Entire 2021 draft class active for Niners; Odell Beckham Jr., Von Miller active

Nov 15

The San Francisco 49ers have released the list of inactive players for their Week 10 matchup at home against the Los Angeles Rams. These players will not suit up for Monday's game. Inactives: RB JaMycal Hasty DL Maurice Hurst CB Dre Kirkpatrick OL Colton McKivitz This is the first time that every player from the 49ers' most recent draft class has been active for a game. That includes offensive lineman Aaron Banks and cornerback Ambry Thomas. Banks, a second-round pick, has only been active for one other game. Earlier today, the 49ers activated safety Tony Jefferson from the practice squad.

Could Kyle Shanahan and the 49ers face a second rebuild this off-season?

By Chris Beno
Nov 15

As the 2021 season reaches the halfway point, one thing is for sure: there is still a lot of football left. Even with the San Francisco 49ers sitting at 3-5, they still (thanks to an underperforming NFC) have a legitimate shot at getting to the playoffs this year. But it's not too early to start thinking about the future. If the season were to end now, head coach Kyle Shanahan would be coming off his fourth losing season in five years. The 49ers would also have over 30 players entering free agency, no first-round draft pick in 2022, and appear to be on the brink of a second rebuild under the current front office. Just for fun, let's begin thinking about what this off-season could look like for the 49ers. How this season wraps up will strongly determine the approach this

'This was never about this year': Rapoport says 49ers should not regret drafting Trey Lance over Mac Jones

Nov 15

Mac Jones is having an impressive rookie year. His New England Patriots have won four in a row and sit at 6-4. The rookie quarterback completed 82.6 percent of his passes and threw three touchdowns in a 45-7 rout of the Cleveland Browns over the weekend. Meanwhile, in Santa Clara, rookie Trey Lance, selected 12 spots ahead of Jones at No. 3 overall, hasn't received too many opportunities with the San Francisco 49ers. Of course, that was always the plan. Lance was drafted to eventually replace starter Jimmy Garoppolo, but use his rookie season to learn from the veteran quarterback and his coaches. Lance, after all, had limited experience at the collegiate level. Shanahan fell in love with Lance's potential. That's what made the 49ers trade to move up to select the

49ers place Mohamed Sanu and Tavon Wilson on IR, activate Tony Jefferson ahead of Rams game

Nov 15

The San Francisco 49ers have made the following roster moves ahead of tonight's Week 10 home game against the Los Angeles Rams. WR Mohamed Sanu and S Tavon Wilson have been placed on injured reserve S Tony Jefferson has been activated from the practice squad The 49ers already ruled Sanu and Wilson out for Week 10. Sanu is dealing with a knee injury while Wilson is dealing with a foot injury. Safety Jimmie Ward (quadricep) was listed as "questionable" for tonight's game. San Francisco enters tonight's game with a 3-5 record while Los Angeles is 7-2. Kickoff between the two teams is scheduled for 5:15 p.m. PT from Levi's Stadium. The Rams are currently favored by 3.5 points. The two teams will announce their inactive

More by Matthew Davin