The NFL has finally handed down judgment on Reuben Foster. The San Francisco 49ers linebacker has been suspended for the first two games of the regular season for violating the NFL's conduct and substances of abuse policies, the team announced on Tuesday. Foster will still be allowed to participate in training camp and the team's four preseason games before his suspension kicks in. He will not be available against the Minnesota Vikings or the Detroit Lions and will be eligible to return to the 49ers' active roster on Monday, September 17.

"I accept the League's decision and am sorry that my mistakes have hurt my team," Foster said via a statement issued by the 49ers. "I have a responsibility to the 49ers, our fans and our community, and I am committed to learning from this situation and making better choices in the future. The support I have received over the last five months has been humbling, and I do not take it for granted."

"Our organization understands and supports the League's decision," said general manager John Lynch via the same statement. "Although we are disappointed that Reuben will not be with our team for the first two games of the season, we will continue to work with him on making better decisions and eliminating unnecessary distractions. We are encouraged to see Reuben take responsibility for his mistakes, and hopeful that he has learned from them as well."

Foster's offseason has been filled with drama. He was arrested in Alabama on January 12 for second-degree possession of marijuana. That case was dismissed on May 25 after the 49ers linebacker completed a diversion course in the state.

The second, and highly publicized, incident took place on February 11 when Foster was arrested on charges of domestic violence with an allegation that he inflicted great bodily injury, forcefully attempting to prevent a victim from reporting a crime, and possession of an assault weapon. The alleged victim, Elissa Ennis, initially told responding sheriff's deputies and Los Gatos police that her bruises and ruptured eardrum were a result of Foster hitting her several times. She was Foster's live-in girlfriend at the time of the incident.

Ennis went on to change her story on April 25 and had her lawyer release a statement declaring that the charges against Foster were all based on lies that she had told in an effort to ruin the linebacker's career after he tried to break up with her.

"She was extremely upset and told him if he broke up with her she would 'trash his career,'" read the statement.

Ennis' new claims stated that the injuries she suffered were the result of a physical fight with two women and not with Foster. There was video evidence that she said would absolve the linebacker.

"The video is believed to show Ennis, following a road rage-type incident in or near San Francisco, fighting with a woman," reported the Sacramento Bee. "Blows are exchanged in the video and the unidentified woman appears to grab Ennis' left ear, which was the one that was ruptured."

On May 23, Judge Nona Klippen ruled that there was insufficient evidence to proceed with the domestic violence case against Foster. The domestic violence charges were dropped, and the weapons charge was reduced to a misdemeanor. Foster pleaded no contest to the lone remaining charge and was sentenced to two years of probation, 232 hours of community service instead of a 30-day work sentence, $235 in fines, and is not allowed to be in possession of guns or ammo during his probation.

Foster, whom the 49ers drafted in the first round last year, started 10 games in 2017 while registering 72 combined tackles with a pass defensed.

Related News