Charles LeClaire-USA TODAY Sports

Charles LeClaire-USA TODAY Sports

QB Change Highlights 49ers’ Dysfunctional Hierarchy

Jesse Dumas
Nov 6, 2015 at 3:40 PM

I stated a few weeks ago that I thought Colin Kaepernick should sit down for at least a few games and he of course promptly went out and beat the Ravens. I was happy to be my own jinx in that situation, but eventually my opinion became a reality. Kaepernick returned to his low-form and now we're looking at a new starter for the matchup against the Falcons.

Blaine Gabbert, for some of us anyway, represents an all new low. For some others, there's still a hint of hopefulness that this former top-10 draft pick will show some of the flash that made him so highly regarded before getting depantsed in Jacksonville for the better part of 3 years. What he actually produces in his first opportunity with his new team will probably fall somewhere in between atrocious to mediocre according to conventional wisdom. Most importantly, Gabbert represents a "control" element to see what's really wrong with this offense that finds itself ranked last in most of the statistical categories that matter. His introduction into the offense will tell us if Kaepernick is broken or if the whole thing is in need of a rebuild.

Best Case Scenario

Gabbert rips it up. Count this as also the most unlikely scenario. Behind a patchwork offensive line (the most generous description I can give them), Gabbert will need to be quick in his reads and even quicker with his release. If he manages that and the 49ers get some kind of a running game going, then everybody might save their jobs. Baalke looks smarter for rolling the dice on a 1st round bust, Chryst can blame the offensive woes on a head case quarterback, and Jed York gets to tie a nice big bow on his ouster of Harbaugh and everything that bears his fingerprints. Kaepernick and his weird contract are gone at the end of the year and a young quarterback is drafted to compete with the rejuvenated Gabbert.

Worst Case Scenario

Gabbert gets hurt before we learn anything. Either he comes in and does so-so or is terrible, then gets put out after absorbing what's likely to be one of many hits he'll take playing behind the worst line in the league. Enter Kaepernick, who goes back to wetting the bed for the remainder of the season or even worse yet, plays just well enough to create a real question of whether or not he'll be back again the next season. Somehow, I have a feeling this is the one that plays out.

Best Case for Kaepernick

Gabbert is terrible and plays his way back onto the bench. Kaepernick regains some confidence knowing that it isn't his whole fault that this offense is atrocious and starts to play a little more in rhythm as a result. Daniel Kilgore comes back and the offense gets off the basement level before the end of the year. He does play well enough to convince the 49ers he deserves another year of this pay-as-you-go agreement they have and this season is chalked off to a turnaround year.

Best Case for Jed York

Gabbert just provides enough of a bridge to justify dumping Kaepernick and his expensive contract. What this actually looks like in the eyes of 49ers management, the ones really pulling the strings on this situation, is anybody's guess. Ideally, they want to keep Kaepernick on the bench, away from the threat of injury and the guaranteeing of millions of dollars payable by the team as a result. For whatever reason he may hold dear, Jed York seems bound and determined to wash away any trace of Jim Harbaugh's success and no player more strongly connects with that coach than this quarterback. Colin's fate was likely sealed shortly after Harbaugh's was, to be saved only by playing at an "Elite" level on par with the Aaron Rodgers and Tom Brady's of the league.

Best Case for the Fans

A strike-shortened season and Jed York gets deported from the United States. GUHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH.

Halfway through this year, I've learned that any opportunity for a decision to go wrong for the 49ers probably will. This team is either cursed, poorly run, or a combination of both, but one thing is becoming very clear for fans of this team. Things are still getting worse and will continue to get worse long before any real optimism is justified. Jed York has repeatedly stated his goal of returning the team to its winning ways, but his actions have proved he's far more interested in preserving his ego and authority than just about everything else.

• Sealteam6
    Not sure how Keap's mental issues translates to anything but his mental issue. Jed took over for his parents, hired harbaugh, went to the SB, got a stadium built, and now he is evil Jed because players retired and other went full retard. I'm disappointed too and shocked at our luck this year but I'm not acting like a dumb cunt.
    Nov 17, 2015 at 8:11 AM
  • niner
    balk already has his list form the hospital of guys who are hurt damaged or unable to play in the nfl. 2 top libs coming out this year, the one form ucla is hurt, guess which on balk wants.
    Nov 11, 2015 at 2:22 PM
  • Lucky Hole aka T.
    I Have A Comment To Make! When am I gonna get a little attention here?
    Nov 11, 2015 at 9:54 AM
  • Lucky Phil
    Tim. I want you to bend over and think about your life. You need to get your priorities in order. No one reads these comments. I have been giving my "feedback" for the past eight years and the editors speed track my comments because they can't bear to read another one. Tim, my suggestion to you, change your name to Lucky Hole and hope for the best.
    Nov 10, 2015 at 1:19 PM
  • tim
    So I "submit my feedback" then wait for it to be approved by someone... Then I read "lucky phil's" comments and wonder why they make you wait?
    Nov 9, 2015 at 7:02 PM
  • Lucky Phil
    After the game Jed York was asked what is secret was? He has a head coach that can hold his mouth open longer than any professional in the game. He said whenever Jimmy T. gets tired he drops his head forward and his jaw snaps shut. Well, that happened just one time! And I rabbit punched the fuc#@r in the forehead real quick.
    Nov 9, 2015 at 1:16 PM
  • Lucky Phil
    After the game a reporter asked Blaine Gabbert what his secret was? He didn't have one delay of game penalty all day. He said when he was under center he would donkey punch Marcus Martin when he wanted him to hike the ball. It turns out their is involuntary reaction whenever you hit a guy hard in the back of the head. First his rectum constricts, second his left hand imediately fires between his legs to protect his scrotum. **** Problem #121 Solved ****
    Nov 9, 2015 at 1:06 PM
  • Tom
    I wonder if this is the same Tim that used to post on 49ers paradise. I assume you think your response is clever, you always did, but it doesn't change the basic point. I'm guessing that you don't know Jed York personally so your opinion of him is exactly that, your opinion and it's not based on any actual first hand knowledge of the situation. But then again not knowing anything about a topic has never stopped you from posting before so why should this time be any different
    Nov 7, 2015 at 2:23 PM
  • Tim
    Difference between Eddie D and Jed.... Jed was born on third base and thinks he hit a triple. Eddie D was born on third base and then he stole home and scored victory.
    Nov 7, 2015 at 12:50 PM
  • Tom
    I don't personally know Jed York and I assume that no one else who posts in this forum does either. I think it's always a mistake to make assumptions about people's motives or character when you are sitting in the bleachers. I imagine, like every owner, his goal is to win Super Bowls, like his uncle did. Harbaugh couldn't get them over that hump and was apparently a pain to be around so he's gone. Kaepernick is probably next on the list for the same reason. Best case scenario is Gabbert comes in and helps the team find out if it's their schemes or the play of their QB that is holding the them back offensively and then they make their adjustments accordingly. I think York's biggest problem at the moment is that he has seemingly hitched his wagon to Baalke, who I suspect might be the real reason the team has fallen off so dramatically. I have no problem with his theories about running a team but he has missed on way too many draft choices to effectively execute those theories. I think the real test of York's leadership will be in how he chooses to deal with Baalke moving ahead. Not in how dealt with Harbaugh or the current situation with Kaepernick, who deserved to be benched
    Nov 7, 2015 at 12:33 PM
  • mbniner
    I don't understand this constant fantasizing about getting rid of York. NFL owners do not give up their teams! The best scenario is that York steps back and truthfully analyzes his organization and, with the help of good football people, puts it in order. I disagree with a number of people that think that he is intentionally sabotaging the team. Why on earth would he do that? A winning team means more revenue and feeds owners ego. I remember that his uncle had a similar situation (remember when fans wanted Eddie's head?) and he dumped Joe Thomas and completely rebuilt the organization. That's what we should be hoping for.
    Nov 7, 2015 at 12:28 PM
    Response: This is pretty accurate. The Yorks aren't going to cede any ownership of the team, especially when they're making oodles of cash from the new stadium. They do need to step in and perhaps remove themselves, Jed included, from making football decisions and find people to handle it for them. I don't think he intentionally sabotaged the team either, but because of his ego and the fact that Harbaugh's staff was the biggest and most expensive in the league, I'm sure Jed used it to reinforce his decision to cut them all loose.
  • Kap the coach killer
    I agree with JR that J. Harbaugh was dismissed because he disagreed with the team decisions made by York & Baalke. This became evident in JH's last season with the slumping 49ers. Simply put, JH is a winner and the team of York & Baalke are losers. The future (what future?) is bleak as long as these 2 losers are in charge. I would exchange York and Baalke in a second for any other NFL owner and Gm. They could not do any worse then these 2 clowns that are running the 49er circus. That's how bad it is.
    Nov 7, 2015 at 10:23 AM
    Response: I think the Lions and Browns have it pretty bad too, but this is looking like a trajectory toward that level of competition.
  • JRSanDiego
    Nice summary - This team does not get better with this Oline. Gabbert will get killed or turned into his old skittish self within the 1st quarter - Falcons will blitz until they get a solid hit on him. If the 9ers were smart they wouldn't be sacrificing CK - they would be sacrificing putrit Oline starters and suffer through giving young Oline talent some experience. Kilgore coming back just means moving terrible Marcus from Center to Guard - hardly a cure for the RG problem. Baalke's "innovative" drafting process is proving why nobody else does it - EXPOSED. Scotty McCloughan was the architect of the 9ers real talent, and Baalke has diluted it to cellar dweller territory in 3 short years. Why did Jeddy boy and Baalke oust JH - yeah he is annoying to deal with - but the MAN JH undoubtedly called them out on the foilbles and they didn't like it. Depressing as long as Yorkies are in charge.
    Nov 7, 2015 at 9:35 AM
    Response: I agree, how Devey and Pears remain starters I cannot understand.
  • Vermonator
    Best case scenario for me is the team gets wooped for the remainder of the season and places last with the 1st pick in the 2016 draft, forcing Jed to fire everybody, including Baalke. Trust me, it has to get worse before it gets better.
    Nov 7, 2015 at 6:16 AM
    Response: No arguments here. I worry what they'll do with the top pick though if they get it.
  • Luciano
    The best case scenario for the fans is Gabbert plays well enough to show the organization it was primarily Kap's issues which pulled the offense into the gutter. Then, the 9ers dump Kap and go all out to draft the next franchise QB at the top of the 1st round either to sit behind Gabbert or another/better free agent veteran QB for a year.
    Nov 7, 2015 at 12:28 AM
    Response: Not sure this is the best case, but it works.
  • JC
    @Jeff- Truth. I am really super disappointed with the worthless new owners. The yorks are a bunch of dirty scoundrel liars that will do anything to take care of themselves first ; DENISE YORK, JOHN YORK, AND THE USELESS DORK SON JED YORK=SCUMBAGS FROM OHIO... GO HOME None of this is ending anytime soon as long as the Dorks own the team DORKS GO HOME
    Nov 6, 2015 at 10:07 PM
    Response: Not exactly new JC. Eddie handed the team off nearly 2 decades ago. They're not going anywhere.
  • Banjax
    Best case for fans - Gabbert plays very well throughout the rest of the season so the 49ers don't have to throw a rookie into the fire next year.
    Nov 6, 2015 at 9:02 PM
  • Jeff Niegsch
    whatever it takes to get York out of there. He was caught liar. Anybody willing to lie the way he did is willing to steal. Would have had more respect for him had he said, "I don't like Jim H. So I fired him. It's my team my decision. If you don't like it, go across the bay and root for them". But he feeds us this line of crap as if we're idiots.
    Nov 6, 2015 at 5:00 PM

Rapid Reaction to the 49ers' 24-20 Loss to the Cardinals

By Matt Andruscavage
Sep 13, 2020

1) The Cardinals are good While the 49ers should have been able to get a win today, let's not lose sight of the improvements made by the Arizona Cardinals. DeAndre Hopkins dominated the secondary today with 14 catches for 151 yards. He was open a lot and the 49ers were not able to give much of an answer for his play today. Kyler Murray ran for 91 yards, passed for 230 yards, and had two total touchdowns. The ground game was good, their defense was scrappy, and their playcalling was not predictable. San Francisco had a lot of opportunities, which I'll go into, but the performance by the Cardinals should not be discounted. They are a playoff contender and will not be an easy out this year. They still have weaknesses, especially if you can force Murray to throw

49ers Lost in Loss to Cardinals

By Gilbert Brink
Sep 14, 2020

Wake up, Kyle Shanahan. As of September 14th 2020, Super Bowl 55 looks like a distant pipe dream. Yesterday, the San Francsico 49ers fell to the Arizona Cardinals in the opener of the 2020 NFL season. After getting off to a blazing start, jumping out to a 10-0 lead, the 49ers couldn't keep the heat on and lost at home to a team that accumulated only 5 wins in 2019. This Cardinals team isn't special. Often fans can find solace in a loss by heaping praise upon the opponent. Not today. Arizona signal caller QB Kyler Murray will be praised in the media for his efforts, but in reality, Murray was inaccurate often and relied heavily on newly acquired star WR DeAndre Hopkins to carry him through this one. Murray threw the ball 40 times for 230 yards, registering a measly 5.8 yards

49ers Must Trade for Odell Beckham Jr. Right Now

By Gilbert Brink
Sep 15, 2020

Odell Beckham Jr. is a toxic person. At one time, OBJ seemed to be on track to be an elite wide receiver who was carving out a Hall of Fame career with each spectacular grab he made. It is no longer that time. 2019 was littered with headlines related to Odell seeking employment elsewhere. As a New York Giant, Odell was disgruntled about his money. The Giants gave Odell a fat contract, only to have him show up on ESPN, accompanied by Lil Wayne, to

More by Jesse Dumas