"Per a league source, Ford has informed teammates that he expects to be released as soon as Wednesday," wrote Florio.
Update: Ford denies the report of his impending release, per Mike Silver.
Ford landed on injured reserve on November 6 due to back issues. The 49ers were optimistic that the defensive end could contribute this season, opening his practice window on November 25. However, Ford was never healthy enough to practice with his teammates. The team has until Wednesday to activate him off the injured reserve list, or he will be lost for the season. It sounds like San Francisco has instead opted to part ways with the defender.
The 49ers traded a second-round pick for Ford, a former first-round pick of the Kansas City Chiefs, in 2019. He signed a five-year, $85.5 million deal with San Francisco following the trade. Ford has appeared in just 18 regular-season games in his three seasons with the Niners.
"As Ford tells it to colleagues, he expects that the team will simply cut its losses and move on," added Florio.
On Monday, head coach Kyle Shanahan said he wasn't optimistic that Ford would play for the 49ers again this season.
"I believe we've got to make [a decision] by Wednesday, and we'll see what goes," Shanahan said. "That's something that I never can predict. But I'll be surprised if he's back. I think we'll just have to continue playing without him."
Ford recorded five tackles, two tackles for a loss, four quarterback hits, and three sacks through six games this season before landing on injured reserve.
Related News
More San Francisco 49ers News
-
49ers report: NFL execs expect high trade price for Mac Jones
The San Francisco 49ers have made their stance on Mac Jones clear: they would prefer to keep the veteran quarterback on the roster in 2026. Still, that hasn't quieted speculation about his NFL future. San Francisco has consistently signaled a willingness to listen to at least... -
Report: 49ers confirmed to host Mexico City game in 2026
The San Francisco 49ers are reportedly headed back to Mexico City in 2026, something that was previously assumed but not yet confirmed—until now. According to ESPN's John Sutcliffe, the 49ers will serve as the designated home team for a regular-season game at Estadio... -
49ers restore locker room after Seahawks' Super Bowl LX takeover
The San Francisco 49ers locker room at Levi's Stadium looked a little different during Super Bowl LX — and not in a way 49ers players appreciated. Although the Seattle Seahawks were officially designated as the away team, they were assigned the home locker room and even wore... -
Where 49ers QB Brock Purdy landed in PFF's top 101 players of 2025
San Francisco 49ers quarterback Brock Purdy appeared in just nine games during the 2025 NFL season, missing eight contests due to a turf toe injury suffered in Week 1. Still, the former final pick of the 2022 NFL Draft did more than enough to earn recognition from Pro Football...