"Unless players are essentially in a bubble -- insulated from the community and they are tested nearly every day -- it would be very hard to see how football is able to be played this fall," Dr. Fauci said (via NBC Sports Bay Area). "If there is a second wave, which is certainly a possibility and which would be complicated by the predictable flu season, football may not happen this year."
The NFL's chief medical officer, Dr. Allen Sills, responded on Thursday, stating that the league plans to take precautions during its efforts to push forward with the season amid such uncertain times.
Dr. Sills said the following (via Tom Pelissero of NFL Network):
"Dr. Fauci has identified the important health and safety issues we and the NFL Players Association, together with our joint medical advisors, are addressing to mitigate the health risk to players, coaches and other essential personnel. We are developing a comprehensive and rapid-result testing program and rigorous protocols that call for a shared responsibility from everyone inside our football ecosystem. This is based on the collective guidance of public health officials, including the White House task force, the CDC, infectious disease experts, and other sports leagues.
"Make no mistake, this is no easy task. We will make adjustments as necessary to meet the public health environment as we prepare to play the 2020 season as scheduled with increased protocols and safety measures for all players, personnel and attendees. We will be flexible and adaptable in this environment to adjust to the virus as needed. "
San Francisco 49ers CEO Jed York recently told NBC Sports Bay Area that, one way or another, he expects the season to move forward.
"There will be a season in some way, shape, or form," York told Jennifer Lee Chan last week. "After seeing the progress of reopening, I am confident in that."
York added that the 49ers are doing everything they can to prepare as if the season will happen.
"Our medical staff has done an incredible job planning protocols and procedures for when we start up again," York said. "I know our players and staff are ready and excited to get things rolling."
The NFL seems confident that not only the regular season will take place, but that training camps will happen too. The league announced on Thursday that the HBO series Hard Knocks will have an interesting twist this year, following two teams — the Los Angeles Rams and Los Angeles Chargers.
Related News
More San Francisco 49ers News
-
WR De'Zhaun Stribling's preseason debut shows 49ers may have themselves a gem
Less than four months ago, the San Francisco 49ers were getting plenty of heat over their decision to select wide receiver De'Zhaun Stribling with the first overall selection in the second round of the NFL Draft. Now it seems like there's a real possibility Stribling could make... -
Steve Mariucci doubts 49ers' George Kittle will be ready for Week 1: "He's not there yet"
The San Francisco 49ers are hoping George Kittle will be ready to return for the start of the regular season, but former 49ers head coach Steve Mariucci isn't convinced that will happen. Kittle recently provided an encouraging update on his recovery from the torn Achilles he... -
49ers defensive rookie among new names not practicing Sunday
The San Francisco 49ers kicked off their 13th full practice of training camp on Sunday, the final session before traveling to Southern California for a joint practice with the Los Angeles Chargers. The two teams will meet in a preseason game Thursday night. Reporters on hand... -
49ers' Brock Purdy closing in on impressive NFL passing record
Brock Purdy's critics may soon have to dig deeper into their bag of excuses to diminish what the San Francisco 49ers quarterback has accomplished throughout his career. Purdy is on track to break an NFL passing record currently held by Aaron Rodgers and Lamar Jackson. Purdy...